Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 30,441 to 30,460 of 70,011

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia ...does MS no longer sell one month vouchers for xbox live? SIGH. Ah well fine I'll just dig out my ps3. Yeah you can't pay me to play VF on a pad. I can't fuzzy guard for anything with a pad.

But those games you mentioned aren't fighting games. They don't even have fighting game like mechanics. There is a big difference between an action adventure or rpg's idea of how combat works and an actual Fighting Game. Like I said the closest I've seen to what you are asking for is the Naruto games (and those are average games). The thing is keeping the balance of the base game, the netcode of the online game and still have all the other trappings. Plus the mainstream obsession with character glut.

A good fighting game has a lot of moving parts that full blown campaigns will shift focus from (balance mainly) in my opinion, not saying that a FG can't have a story...but that is just going to be a bunch of cut-scenes. It sounds like you are looking for a genre evolution based upon the games you cited. I guess my question is this...do games where the gameplay system is the game need a huge plot/storyline? Do we care why Mario goes go karting with bowser? Yet people are asking for story in games about fight mechanics. These aren't sims like ufc where you would expect a career mode because you are playing as a mma fighter. FGs are about technique, mind games and frames. Again I'm not against what you are stating but I'm trying to understand why, beyond you are bored with the mechanics (which may just mean it is a genre mismatch for you). I understand the call for simpler gameplay, and most of the FG are good with doing a series reboot (which is why the FGC sits on some games) and capcom's VS series is great for people that want a flashy fighter with less button inputs (Still lots of strategy but not as robust as a standard fighter) BBCTTB fills this spot on the Switch.

@Ralizah I really think I'm going back to Nintendo/PC after the Twins have their run. Most of the games I like are multiplats with PC, and there arent enough exclusives with ether company to dive in again. I haven't touched my PS4 or X1 in over a year... but I'm playing video games everyday...that's not good. Now that fighting games are making nice little homes on PC...yeah no real reason for me to stay.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Grumblevolcano

@Tsurii Yes, 2016. They could've varied it more with stuff like indie games but of course focusing on BotW was the option that would be better received.

@Ralizah I always figured single player content would be left for closer to launch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Even the BotW year showed more games properly even though they said they wouldn't . And that year had an excuse...."NX" was still hidden for 4 more months, so they could show no other games beyond 3DS games and the only WiiU/NX crossover they had plus Color Splash. This year they had a whole boatload of games....and chose to show few of them, and show one of them for 10 hours. They even benched freaking Pikachu part way in to show more Smash. Hard to fail harder in marketing than to have a ton of products and not demonstrate most of them. That would be like Sony sidelining Kratos to talk more All Stars Battle Royale, but even worse.

@Ralizah So you don't want Sony's billion dollar cinematic games where you graphically murder people, but you do want Sega's quarter billion dollar cinematic games where you graphically murder people?

@Ryu_Niiyama They sell $9.99 one month memberships, still, sure. Amazon/Gamestop don't seem to have them. xbox.com does, digitally. Maybe it's easier to get them in store than online.

The rest I disagree. Look at Sushi Striker. It took a puzzle/action/tactics game and turned it into a big fun story game. Mario Tennis Aces for that matter (ok, bad, short example).....no reason fighters can't do much of the same.

Arcade racers have had story to make it fun for some time. Forza Horizon does the "you're a racer headlining festivals" thing. NFS does various gang things. Meanwhile Forza/GT are just series circuit races like arcade mode. Kart could easily have that, but doesn't. Mind games don't work for single player FG, so part of the core of vs. fighters is missing if not competing from the start. Tekken does it wrong....it has you battling faceless enemies often. But it's fun. DoA does it right, it's a framework for the regular arcade battles. Though I could see a legit single player, Tekken style working fine in the way Smash did Subspace.

Some games do try to approach that, but it always seems half hearted because they know the core like yourself is fine with it being purely competitive and for whatever reason, they're fine with that niche.....the funny thing is what made FG popular in the 90's was that it was reaching broadly and not obsessing with niches. A full game....a sense of progression in a game, but utilizing the full technicalities of a fighting game could be a really cool game. I think, again, the Soulsborne crowd could be onboard easily.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

NEStalgia wrote:

So you don't want Sony's billion dollar cinematic games where you graphically murder people, but you do want Sega's quarter billion dollar cinematic games where you graphically murder people?

Like what?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haruki_NLI

Sonic Forces was nearly an accessory to suicide with how bad it is.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

SuperJoon

Knuckles-Fajita wrote:

This is a good one.

"Our game that only released in Japan on their worst selling system didn't sell well. Therefore, we wont put any of the franchise on Switch with its renewed interest in a global capacity and proven track record of improved sales for games"

https://gonintendo.com/stories/313316-yakuza-series-producer-...

Would have loved the Yakuza series on Switch!

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia If the AI is decent you are still playing footsies and some mind games. If it is just doing high priority inputs then yeah not much there.

I've not played beyond the demo for sushi striker (taiko and octopath got my cash ...darn you student loan debt!!!!) but it was cut scenes. So are you looking for cutscenes (which i mentioned already) or are you looking for a RPG with Fightgame gameplay mechanics for the combat? If it is cutscenes...that exists now. And fighting games stories have made no sense for about 30 years. If it is a genre mashup...balancing is everything or its not a fighting game anymore. (at least not a good one) and nobody that plays fighting games is going to play it except for casual matches. (Tatsunoko vs Capcom...looking at you). Then the question goes why did you break a fighting game when you could have just gone and played an RPG or whatever game you actually wanted to play?

I think we are going in circles at this point though. So I think we will have to agree to disagree.

On Topic:
When pulling videos off of the switch to the pc does it just treat the sd card as a normal sd card and i just import the photos or is there something else involved? (trying to free up space in my full 128gb card.)

@Knuckles-Fajita So I just burst out laughing and my coworkers are staring at me now...well done.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama I'm not sure if needs distinction really. Scenes are fine to tie the battles together. Few fg seen to really commit to it more than tutorial material, most just do vs arcade mode. But I'm more than open to a unique rpg game with a fg battle system. That would be awesome actually. Like pxz without the crossover and with a real fight mechanic. I was more thinking better cutscene campaigns and or varied enemies beyond vs matches (teken does that already) but the whole fighter rpg thing.... Now i want it. Do it, Sega!

NEStalgia

Toy_Link

This reminds me why did Shenmue I and II skip the Switch? Maybe, Sega AGES?

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Haruki_NLI

@Ryu_Niiyama Thats my "blunt" response to how I feel about that game...

Hey at least I make someone laugh with my twisted idea of comedy

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

Who's playing Shining Resonance Refrain? It seems to be outpacing the PS4 version on Amazon as the 14th best selling game on the site (#39 in category)

And btw, holy crapola! The top 16 best selling video games on Amazon are all Switch titles, and 19 of the top 20. There's literally only 1 other game in the top 20 from another platform, and that's MH World in the #17 spot (#47 spot listed since it includes store credit and accessories and hardware), which only moved up recently from around #100 because it went on sale for half price.

Can't imagine such a scenario in the Wii U era. Heck they didn't even sell Wii U on Amazon! Remember those days? I do.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Fooligan

@JaxonH My copy of Shining Resonance Refrain is on the way. According to Best Buy the release date was changed to this Friday instead of yesterday. So my copy was shipped today at 1 o clock.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

NEStalgia

@Mrtoad xbox got it because it's the original secondary platform after Dreamcast. Ps got it because shenmue 3 funding. Switch.... No dice.

@JaxonH i remember those days! Seems so recent! I bought shining, but won't be unwrapping it for a while. Xc2 first. Maybe octopath too.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

darkfenrir

@JaxonH Bought Shining, but it hasn't arrived, and I think I'll play Octopath first anyway

darkfenrir

JaxonH

Nintendo spent the last decade squandering third-party support. 10 long years of driving away third parties for core, gamer-focused games. And that's not going to be fixed overnight. The many failed attempts at bringing 3rd party games to Nintendo platforms to find a bedrock audience since the mid 2000's has finally caught up to us. And it's going to take years, possibly even several generations, before this problem is fully rectified (IF it's ever fully rectified).

There's also the fact, whether people like to acknowledge it or not, that the audience on Nintendo platforms well and truly does have different preferences and tastes in games. I'm not entirely sure a game like Yakuza would sell on Switch, tbh. I look at the Japanese sales numbers for YS VIII, another PlayStation-focused franchise brought over to Switch, and I see 6k sales for week one and 2k sales for week 2. And let's not beat around the bush- that's absolutely embarrassing. We've heard the game is doing much better in the west but we cannot ignore that the Japanese audience is, and will remain to be, their primary focus for most JP style games.

And I worry for Valkyria Chronicles 4, the next major PlayStation-centric franchise coming to Switch. It's reviewed as being just as good if not better than the original, which itself is often cited as one of the best strategy RPG games ever made in the history of video games, certainly of the seventh generation, and it seems like... nobody cares. Just another game nobody pays attention to that gets lost in the shuffle. But games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 NEED to sell well. If Switch is to prove itself as an alternative audience for PlayStation-centric games, then Valkyria Chronicles 4 needs to do well, particularly in Japan. And it's going to take games like that consistently doing well, month after month, year after year, generation after generation, before some of these developers finally come around and change their fundamental beliefs that there is not an audience for their games on Nintendo.

Of course, the same applies to western games. Companies like Ubisoft cannot be blamed for believing that their core games like Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell, etc will not sell on a Nintendo platform when they brought half a dozen of them to Wii U, and every single one of them failed spectacularly. And that was a platform where all the core Nintendo fans owned the system. First party games were selling millions of copies, even smaller first party game releases. And yet these mega-high budget games, in some cases, were launching with as little as 10,000 sales, worldwide their first week... let that sink in... let it sink in some more... And it wasn't just Ubisoft's games- it was Batman Arkham, Darksiders, Injustice, Sniper Elite, Call of Duty, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2k, etc etc etc. Not a single one of them broke half a million in sales as far as I know, and most of them struggled to even break a quarter million!

That is the core Nintendo fanbase. So yeah, it's no surprise then that big companies are convinced there's not an audience for their games among this fanbase. Sure, there might be multi-console gamers who would be interested, but by virtue of who they are they are already buying their games on other platforms. So they lose absolutely nothing by not bringing their games to Nintendo, because all the people that would actually buy their games are already buying their games, and they don't have to develop a different version to get those sales.

Perhaps there's been a sudden change of heart within the Nintendo fanbase as far as interest in these titles but, I seriously doubt it. A number of fans like to have these titles on their system just because it makes them feel more secure about the platform they own, and they will complain all day long about not having them, but they don't actually have any intention of buying the vast majority of them. They're seen as trophy pieces. Just trophy pieces, to feel as more of an equal in the never ending war of the consoles.

That's not to say there isn't a good, solid, group of about 1 million core fans who are interested, mostly people like us in this forum, the problem is we just aren't in great enough number. The problem is a game comes out and only 25% of us are interested in game A, and a different 25% of us are interested in game B, and a different 25% of us are interested in game C, so at any given time there's really only a quarter million of us willing to buy the next major AAA third-party Western title, plus however many non-core fans and self proclaimed "PS4/X1/PC gamers" there are who happen to own a Switch and want to buy on the platform specifically.

@Fooligan
Huh, interesting.

@NEStalgia
Play YS VIII. Absolutely stellar game. Masterpiece-grade RPG, possibly in the same league as Xenoblade 2 (as much as I'm surprised to say it, because I really wasn't expecting anywhere close to that).

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

EvilLucario

Yeah Ys VIII is damn good. But you can't compare it with Xenoblade 2 directly because you're like comparing steak to eggs (not even apples to oranges), where just because they both have protein doesn't mean they're comparable in the slightest.

I'm actually writing a mini-review for Ys VIII. That's the first game I've ever wrote a review on, let that speak to you how much I really like the game.

Personally I don't think it's as good as Xenoblade, but in my mind, there's like 2-3 other games that can come close in the first place so that doesn't mean as much coming from me. Ys VIII is still extremely good, and if you even slightly like RPGs or action games, the game is for you. Top-tier RPG in my book.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

darkfenrir

Yeah, I'm trying my hands on reviewing it as well... but with the length, I don't think I can put it here.

darkfenrir

EvilLucario

@darkfenrir Lol, my review at the moment is 2537 words and counting (almost done, though!). I go more in-depth with my thoughts on gameplay than story, but yeah it's shaping up to be a beefy review/slight critique.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic