Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 2,207

Xyphon22

@BruceCM As far as RPGs go, I'm currently playing through Legrand Legacy and also dipping in and out of Skyrim (that's such a big game that I would never play anything else for like a year if I stuck to it). I also recently picked up Battlechasers: Nightwar cheap, I have Lost Sphear (which means I will also want Oninaki once I beat that). I also have the Genesis Collection that I would really like to play some of the oldies but goodies like the Shining and Phantasy Star games. But then I also have Astral Chain, the second two Bioshocks (already played the first), the entire Spyro trilogy, the second Ori (also already played the first), and a number of eShop games. All while writing my doctoral dissertation, so gaming takes a back seat which is why my backlog is so big. One day I'll get to all of these...maybe.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

BruceCM

I got a bit fed up with Legrand Legacy, @Xyphon22.... But let us know how you get on with it I disliked Oninaki & it's nothing to do with the previous games from the same devs, both of which I liked a lot

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jump

@Xyphon22 cheers, it’s still doesn’t feel Like a must play to me just yet but it does sound decent.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Xyphon22

@jump Honestly, I would consider it a must play I enjoyed it that much, but it seems a lot of people don't. I personally enjoyed it a lot more than Hollow Knight (I don't suffer from depression, but that game almost gave it to me), although it really is a completely different kind of game. The only thing to collect is coins which you then use to buy a few different upgrades (and there are some hidden coins, but I only found one of them I don't think they do anything but give you more of the story). It is also fairly linear and a lot easier and shorter than HK, for example.

@BruceCM I'm not too far into Legrand Legacy yet (just beat a giant sea monster and now have to compete in a gladiator tournament to escape a city), but I think it's pretty good. It's different because unless I'm doing something wrong, you don't really get any money from battles or anything. So you have to decide what items and crafting materials you are willing to sell to earn money to get better equipment, which is a kind of fun and unique risk-reward system. Not the greatest, but definitely worth the $1.99 I paid, so I'll stick it out. And I heard the the dialogue and character interactions and things get a lot better later on, so that's good.

Xyphon22

Wargoose

@ophone nah I get it, if you don't like the art style it's hard to get invested. It might be worth looking at fight n rage, as it was made by the Streets of Rage 4 developers.

The sega collection and Capcom beat Em up bundles are good. Sengoku 3 is also meant to be fun.

Wargoose

NintendoByNature

@jump i know you weren't asking me but I felt a little let down by owlboy. I had high hopes after hearing good things about it. The 2nd half of the game felt like a drag from what I remember( it's been a while since I played it). There's also one REALLY annoying section that's requires lightning reflexes riding a dragon from what I recall. Between the speed increasing, and eventually controls flip and go inverted, it makes for a very frustrating segment that took me quite a while. However as I said, alot of people like it so it may just be me. It's not bad, but I wasn't that high on it.

NintendoByNature

Xyphon22

@NintendoByNature Yeah, that's one of those times I was talking about where it just mixes up the gameplay periodically. It's just for one quick segment and gives the game a change of pace, and I like it. I completely understand if you don't, though. I think I died once on it and then made it the second time because it was a little difficult to see which rocks you had to dodge and which ones were only in the background. Everyone likes different things and different games, which is cool. I'm just kind of jaded gamer who has been playing since the NES days so it is rare for me nowadays to think of a game extremely highly above others, but for whatever reason this one clicked with me and I loved it.

Xyphon22

Magician

Just played Aaero for about an hour. Bass Cannon has to be one of the strongest "stage one" experiences I've had in quite a while. Great first impression, Mad Fellow Games. Well done.

Headphones recommended.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NintendoByNature

@Xyphon22 totally get it dude. I tend to like games most people think are just ok, and don't get all into games that people love lol. I'm odd Like that. Another instance was Ori and the blind forest. I thought it was...good. but not the masterpiece everyone made it out to be. Now, will of the wisps on the other hand, was damn near perfect. So like you said, everyone is different haha.

NintendoByNature

JasmineDragon

@Magician Thanks for the response! I do have R-Type Dimensions and Steredenn on thr Switch. Steredenn is one of my most played games. I LOVE Steredenn! And R-Type will also always be a top game for me. I've had it on so many Nintendo devices.

I'm just not sure about the newest R-Type. I played the demo and it felt off to me. I wasn't loving the new graphics and the controls felt strange. I may end up buying it later, but I wasn't head over heels with it.

I did end up ordering ESP Ra.De.Psi the other night. I just can't let it get away from me as a big shmup fan. And I know you get it when I say I want that game on my shelf.

It should get to me before the weekend. I'm hoping I can muddle my way through Japanese menus.

I'm sure there is a guide to it in English somewhere.

Would you say Danmaku 3 is similar to R-Type and Steredenn? I bought ESP nkw, but there's always room on the want list. ESP lived there for a long time, just because I rarely pay that much for a game, and at that price I really need to know I'm going to love it.)

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

BruceCM

Cool, you might well like it more than I did, @Xyphon22 .... Keep us posted on it, please!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Balta666

@NintendoByNature couldn't agree more on Ori, after hearing a lot o people talking about blind forest for so long I jumped in it when it launched on switch and I can say I did not enjoy my time with it that much (I found the artstyle distracting, the combat boring and messy and the world and story not fun to explore) when Will of the whisps came out I ignored it but recently I got game pass for PC and decided to give it a go and I end up loving it. They solve almost every issue I had with the first one (the upgrades are much better and the artstyle is much better altough It may be due to the change from switch to PC)

NintendoByNature

@Balta666 yea for sure. Will of the wisps kicked everything up a notch. The puzzles were more involved too which was nice.

NintendoByNature

Losermagnet

@Balta666 @NintendoByNature. I'm glad you two mentioned this because I've been playing through The Blind Forest and I am underwhelmed. It's fine, but not something that really resonates with me. I enjoy the music and visuals, and I like that Ori, Gumo, and Kuro have all been displaced by loss. In the cut scenes it's very effective at making me feel sympathetic....but then gameplay starts and I wreck all the woodland creatures with tiny lightning bolts. Or Ori decides to nose dive when I'm doing a difficult platforming section because the d-pad on the classic controller is constantly registering 'down' when I try to fine tune my jump. All I want to do is restore a forest to it's former glory while playing as a ghost marmot, why do you have to be like that game?

Glad to hear the sequel is improved 😊

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Xyphon22

Yeah, Ori is another one of those games that I thought was good and I enjoyed it but didn't think it was extraordinary like so many do, which is why I even surprised myself that I found Owlboy to be that good. I haven't gotten around to the Will of the Wisps, yet, though (even though I already own it), so all of your words are making me look forward to it.

Xyphon22

NintendoByNature

@Losermagnet yes! Go grab the sequel when it's back on sale! We'll worth it and one of the better games I've played in a while.

NintendoByNature

Magician

@Monkeido

Alright I've played Star Renegades for an hour. In short I like the game. In a world where roguelikes are dominantly action, action/platformers, or deck building games...it's nice to see one in the rpg genre for a change. And one that isn't swords'n'sorcery but instead science fiction, is rare.

I think the pixel art is top-tier but the rest of the presentation is average at best. The overall aesthetic feels like a knockoff of Warhammer 40k. Space marines, the Imperium, the whole bit. If you enjoy the rpg genre, the Strictly Limited western release might be worth a buy. I've noticed some minor hitching in the framerate during animations, but nothing severe enough to detract from the turn-based gameplay.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Monkeido

@Magician Thanks a lot for letting me know! Very nice of you. ^^ Because of this I just put down my order, the game definitely looks appealing to me, so hopefully I'll like it. It indeed has some top-notch pixel art and I think I can manage some minor dips. Also, I love roguelikes, so no problems there.

Monkeido

fighting_game_player

Does anyone have some Switch game recommendations that can give me a good challenge? I've been craving a game like this, but all the games I play (no matter the genre) always seem easy to me. I always play on the maximum difficulty available but alas. I don't want an unfair game or one that's just plain frustrating, no I just want a game that can give me the challenge I'm looking for.

I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem: Three Houses' more difficult modes but until then are there any games that, (preferably don't require an internet connection) have a challenging main campaign on Switch? I'm open to suggestions, although I might have some objections to certain games or genres. I'd appreciate the help.. unless I've posted this in the wrong thread, which in that case I'm terribly sorry.

Edited on by fighting_game_player

"as I roll along I begin to find.. things aren't always just what they seem.."

Twitter:

Blooper987

@Fujimoto-San What types of games? Platformers, rpgs, roguelikes?

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic