Forums

Topic: The Switch Recommendations Thread

Posts 1,641 to 1,660 of 2,207

ophone

@Magician
I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the advice.

Edited on by ophone

Since January 2021 owner of my first real Nintendo "home" console.

ophone

@Magician
Grid Autosport looks like something I could enjoy playing. Pity it doesn't seem to exist on cartridge.

Edited on by ophone

Magician

@ophone

Oh ho, what's this, a fellow Switch collector? Yes it's slim pickings between non-kart, non-futuristic racers with physical releases on Switch. Super Street Racer isn't half bad, if you're not allergic to 6/10 or 7/10 rated games. But even that game dips well into being an arcade racer rather than a sim racer. You may as well look into Burnout Paradise at that point.

Burnout Paradise is an excellent Switch port, btw.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Neckcrane

Fez has just been surprise released. If you’re a fan of platforming puzzlers, do not overlook it. It was my favourite indie game when I had it on the Xbox 360.
If you want puzzles that will seriously (and I mean super seriously) test your brain power. This game has them. A true mind bending adventure as well.

Neckcrane

silentlysilent

I finished breath of the wild a while back ago but never got the dlc for it. Do you guys think the dlc is worth playing?

silentlysilent

thriftyarek888

My Sony PS Vita. MY ID: thriftyarek888

I play WRC 4, helldivers, Capcom Vs Marvel etc

My Nintendo 3DS friends code: 201997276479

My Nintendo Switch friends code: SW-2605-4021-6923
I play tetris 99; Mario Kart 8; Streets of Rage 4 etc

When you add my 3DS, then message me so I can add you back. Thanks

My Nintendo Switch friends code: SW-2605-4021-6923

Fun art, music, hot women, fast cars and more - check my insta: www.instagram.com/thriftyarek888 Thanks

My websites: Smartfit888 everyday good exercises. Epicfirsts888 raw & fun unedited news from around the world

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9727-6479

JasmineDragon

Help me, shmup gurus! I'm on the fence about new shooters, torn between buying Raiden IV: Mikado, the new R-TYPE, and ESP Ra.De.Psi.

ESPRDP is a legend, I've been wanting it for a while amd the price just keeps going up, and will probably not be possible to buy physical at a "decent" price very soon.

On the other hand, this game looks tough as nails and designed for elite shmup players, and $80-85 is not what I would call a good price for a single game. I love shmups but TBH I'm not terribly good at them, especially bullet hells. It's quite possible I'll enjoy it but never get very far in it.

Raiden IV and the new R-TYPE are both said to be brilliant, I could buy both of them for about the same price as ESP, and I am already a huge R-TYPE fan (but I already own R-TYPE Dimensions on the Switch amd have other games in the series on older platforms).

Anybody who has played any of these care to weigh in? I know Raiden and R-TYPE are the more sensible choices, but is ESP Ra.De.Psi so good I should consider it a must-have and get it while I still can -even though I am not an Olympic-level shmup gamer?

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Xyphon22

I have a couple of questions about some of the Square RPGs. I'm interested in the SaGa series, I think it looks good and I've never played any of them. Is there any order I should play them in due to story or anything else? I usually like to play series in order, and I think that means starting with the Game Boy collection, but I just thought I'd check to see if anyone thought another one would be better. Then I am also interested in FF VII, Star Ocean, and The Last Remnant. Between the four (including whichever SaGa game I would start with), any recommendations on which one I should play first? Thanks.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

ophone

Besides Streets of Rage 4, which are other excellent beat'em ups on the Switch?
In preference ones on cartridge.

Wargoose

@ophone River City Girls is probably the 2nd best on Switch after Streets of Rage 4.

@Xyphon22 I've not played the saga series. However I've played FFVII and The Last Remnant, I'd recommend VII over the last remnant. Have you played Ys VIII, that's definitely a RPG to look into.

Wargoose

Xyphon22

@Wargoose I haven't played that one yet, either, but I definitely want to. There are just way too many good RPGs on the Switch, and I'm actually trying to get through more of my backlog before I buy anything new. Fortunately Square does these sales like 3-4 times a year and Ys VIII seems to be on sale a lot more often now, too, so I'm not in a big hurry to buy any of them this minute. I just wish I could find Ys physically for cheaper than like $80, but that doesn't seem too likely at this point.

Xyphon22

ophone

Wargoose wrote:

@ophone River City Girls is probably the 2nd best on Switch after Streets of Rage 4.

Problem is, I'm not really into anime. (And I know I miss a lot of Switch games many consider as great due to my attitude.)

Magician

@JasmineDragon

ESP Ra.De. is fantastic, although it's all in Japanese. Because of that it's a tough recommendation. R-Type is the gold standard for horizontal shmups in my eyes. Although it's old school in its design, the Dimensions version is quite good. Between those two, I'd recommend R-Type.

But are you only set on those two? There are plenty of other options in the genre. Danmaku Unlimited 3 (for vertical) and Steredenn (for horizontal) are excellent as well.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Well, it really wouldn't matter much which of those 4 you played 1st, @Xyphon22 .... Star Ocean 1st Departure R is probably the shortest, if that's a factor? Dunno much about the older Saga games but if they keep remastering them, I'll play those!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Xyphon22

@BruceCM That actually is a good factor! As is FF VII being the cheapest. I'll still probably wait till SE's next round of sales and see how much of my backlog I've gotten through by then. Just finished Owlboy like an hour ago, so I'm getting there!

Xyphon22

jump

@Xyphon22 Hows Owlboy? It's been sitting on my wishlist for over year now and I need to hear something to motivate me to actually get around to buying it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Xyphon22

@BruceCM Yeah, they are all on sale right now which is what reminded me about them and led me to ask the question, but I just don't feel the need to buy them this time as I have too much else in my backlog and I know they will be on sale again in a couple of months anyways. And no, I've never played a Star Ocean game, so I'm looking forward to trying it one day. It's barely over $10 on sale, so I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, but I just won't play it yet if I get it now, so I can wait and maybe it will be even cheaper next time!

@jump When I looked up the ending to see if I'd missed anything or if there are alternate endings, I saw a lot of mixed reaction to Owlboy. For me, though, it was one of my favorite Metroidvanias ever. The story is probably the biggest part of it, and there is less exploration and upgrading and stuff like that, so you might not even want to call it a Metroidvania. But I loved the story and characters, and there are enough times when the gameplay mixes it up so it stays fresh. The early boss battles tend too often to just be progressively bigger swarms of common enemies, but the later battles are better and can become sort of puzzle-like switching your partners on the fly for whoever's best in that situation. I heartily recommend it, but I guess some people find it boring and lacking in exploration and combat.

Xyphon22

BruceCM

Oh, yeah, they all go on regular sales, @Xyphon22.... I can't wait for them to do Second Evolution R, though So, which did you already have that you want to play soon?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic