Forums

Topic: Super Mario Maker 2 Level Sharing

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 2,042

apolking

@Dodger I really liked the concept for this and in general I found it fun. The first half was definitely more frustrating than the second however, and repeating the first two stages got a bit irritating later on. Overall I liked it though, definite sense of accomplishment for beating it.

@misskitten After Dodger's course winter wonderland was a nice break, love the theming and generally relaxed vibe! I also enjoyed 'The Great Plateau' loved the theming and the shrines, though the ice cavern is bit of a difficulty spike and dying/restarting is a bit of a chore.

@ajmayew This was blast from the past! When it clicked this was pretty fun, the pacing of the autoscroll made it feel a bit odd at points, like I would be punished for going too quickly so I had to risk going too slowly.

Super Mario Maker 2 courses:
PQW-W38-SDF
Mirrors Edge: Gotta Go Fast!
VLS-73C-72H
Prison Break!
QYC-K6T-VCG

misskitten

@apolking Yeah, I realize the one is harder than the others, but it is also the fourth shrine (in my own head, at least) and ice maneuvering felt like the closest I could come to the cryonis feel, since you cannot actually produce or move ice (other than icicles falling down) and I already used the moving blocks for magnesis. But hey, there's a reason I put that checkpoint flag under the tower, so that players can choose to activate it at any point they feel they need it (of course only once, but still)

misskitten

Hurryheathen

@JamesNighthawk
I played your Dark Forest level, which I really like. I liked that if you missed some of the jumps and landed in the water you had hidden blocks. I've figured out a chunk of it now but I'm still 12 seconds behind the WR but I'll download it to my Switch and practice!

Hurryheathen

Dodger

Just finished a puzzle level I've been fiddling around with for a bit. It's built around a mechanic I saw used in a level on StephenPlay's Morning Mario series where the angry sun blows up bob-ombs. This one might be a little tricky because you can only spawn one sun per area, so the only way if the sun dies to get another is to go through a reset door and go back to the sun's spawn point. I made the call to treat keeping the sun alive as part of the puzzle. Other than that, I think this one is one of my cooler puzzle levels.

Red Hot Coins, Sunburnt Bobombs
With the mighty power of the sun, burn the bobombs and grab the red coins!
SMB3 - 6XG-RV2-1HF

I have enough levels where I won't bother posting a list of all of them in this forum, but if you want to check out any of my other levels, here's a list of them. Personally, my favorites are Hop-Chomp Stomp, The Great Icicle Escapade, Sledge Bro Dormitory, and Cloud Combat with King Koopa.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/community_share_you...

@misskitten @apolking Thanks for the feedback. I knew this one would be tricky, but I might have underestimated the puzzles prior to the checkpoint. If I remade this level, I'd probably add a warp pipe to a sub area with a check point somewhere even if I didn't use the subarea for anything else.

Beat misskitten's Zelda: The Great Plateau level. That was a lot of fun. I like exploration levels and I appreciated the references to BotW, especially the dry bones as giving you the red coins. I did manage to softlock myself in the moving block puzzle by falling and going through twice, but that's my fault.

Dodger

Hurryheathen

Here is my newest,

Bowser's Hidey Hole
Course ID: N5T-XDD-VQF

It took me quite awhile to beat this and upload it. Once I figured out another way I felt like an idiot haha.

Edited on by Hurryheathen

Hurryheathen

apolking

@misskitten Yeah it's tricky, partly because the icicles didn't work quite as I expected when I was jumping on them, not much you can do about that the fact there's a limit of one checkpoint per level is a bit draconian, but also not much you can do. Unfortunately I found the checkpoint before anything else so it ended up being pretty useless to me.

@dodger honestly given you can only place one checkpoint I think you put it in the right spot, I would have appreciated it if the first area had fewer blocks to break to get through though.

Super Mario Maker 2 courses:
PQW-W38-SDF
Mirrors Edge: Gotta Go Fast!
VLS-73C-72H
Prison Break!
QYC-K6T-VCG

misskitten

@Dodger lol, aww. Sadly there really was no way to get around that potential issue since they limit the doors to four, and I would have needed double that to work around it. Glad you enjoyed it Was tricky to figure out good tie-ins with all the runes with the 3D-world skin, but worked it out in the end

I enjoy the course mechanism, but the timer is a bit unforgiving in terms of having to retrieve the sun once you are back down on ground level. One thing would be if the sun being killed is your own fault, but I had a bomb kill the sun at one point. If you could have included a mid-way door up (like you cannot access it until you have blown up a certain obstacle, and it only takes you up, not down) or had the timer increased. That would have been great. It sucked to just manage to trigger the on/off switch and have the time run out. Also, that bomb to get the second red coin, if you are big, you have to crouch and jump for it even to be triggered, since otherwise the sun never reaches it. Was this intentional?

misskitten

misskitten

@apolking basically everyone should see the checkpoint fairly early, I would hope the implication with it being below the tower instead of in the regular path would then hint that perhaps you should save it for when you need it, lol

misskitten

TeemuFIN

Here’s something new again:
X3X-KHW-GRG

TeemuFIN

Simbabbad

First, a level with a gimmick: in Super Recto/Verso Land, taking a door takes you behind the level - therefore, every area without solid blocks or backdrops are strictly symmetrical, and the others have differences you have to use to beat the level.

Untitled

And then, two very different castle levels, the first being very fast and speedrun oriented, the second one being longer with careful and meticulous gameplay.

Untitled

Untitled

@JamesNighthawk thank you for playing Old School Super Mario (Cliffs)! You can see in my other levels that I love making traditional levels such as Old School Super Mario (Plains) or Spring Breeze! I should continue the Old School Super Mario series soon!

Résident de Batbad (simbabbad.blogspot.fr)

Dodger

@misskitten No, having to crouch jump to get that coin isn't intended. I'll mess around with that later and see if I can find a fix. It sounds like the camera isn't cooperating, but if I move the bobomb down a block, it might be in the sun's hitbox even if the camera doesn't move up. If I'm reuploading anyways, I'll bump up the timer, and a warp door that you open halfway through is a good idea. Thanks for the feedback!

And I don't blame you for the soft lock, I wasn't thinking and went through the puzzle twice I liked the use of p switches to emulate stasis, by the way - that was funny.

Edited on by Dodger

Dodger

misskitten

@Dodger hehe, thank you. Initially I was thinking on/off switch and directions and lamenting to myself that that wasn't properly a stasis thing, and my brain just went "hey, hey, LISTEN! Remember when the P-switch would make the escalators stop in your mall level?"

Will definitely play your level again when you re-upload

misskitten

xaviserrag

Hey guys, just uploaded an intermediate/hard short super mario world kaizo level! NWG-9SN-T7G

Carry the shells with you even if it's difficult because you will need them later! I added 2 kaizo blocks, so sorry in advance

Edited on by xaviserrag

xaviserrag

MarioBrickLayer

Hey everyone, I've just uploaded a level based on Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark!

I tried to recreate parts of the movie including:-

1. Journey to the temple
2. Dangerous temple floor to get the idol
3. Jump over the pit and get under the falling wall
4. Run faster than the boulder
5. Escape the Havito villagers
6. Find the Well of Souls and get the Ark
7. Find your way out of the crypt
8. Get past the big guy near the plane
9. Chase after the Ark
10. On the island see the power of the Ark unleashed!

Let me know what you think!

4Y1-0N2-2LG

MarioBrickLayer

andysixx

Hi everyone!! I wanna show my rally mario Maker kart!!! Is really fun but is not easy, cause u may calculate when and where jump!! Is a speedrun!!!

Mario kart and trickS n.1

Code: 8M9-TF6-17G

Enjoy It!!!

andysixx

misskitten

@MarioBrickLayer I nearly quit when that sawblade killed me, but decided to go back in. I definitely think you incorporated the thematics really well (not seen the movie, but looking at your list of events, it does give you that experience), a couple of your traps felt a bit on the unfair side, like the pit where only perfect execution of that jump will allow you to progress. Jump even slightly too early and you hit the roof and don't get the distance, jump a bit too hard and you hit the on/off switch and you're blocked from progressing.

The sawblade portion has no visual cue before reaching it, unless the player chooses to jump up that narrow shaft to get the view, so unlike the previous obstacles you don't have the same chance to plan your move until you have already died once (unless your timing lucked out that first time). Which would have been fine if the mechanism made sure that the sawblade would be behind you chasing you as you started running (maybe a twomp hitting an on/off switch to send the sawblade down the path, I dunno), but my first try the sawblade was actually in front of me and I had no way of knowing if going forward was doable and since the platforms behind me had fallen going backwards wasn't an option either. I did eventually manage to get the timing right and get past it. The wizzrobe section was a bit crazy and spammy, but got past it. I liked the stuff that came after, from the slower portion where you found your way to the ark, and the chase to the finish was cool as well.

The first bit with the music was cool, though it sounded "off key" to me (also, that second gomba is my enemy now, lol). Never attempted doing music blocks in any of my levels so far, so dunno how it fares with halfnotes. It was definitely recognizable though.

misskitten

misskitten

@andysixx sorry, but I don't see how you can time that first jump at all. Either I hit the spikes above or the car hit the one in front. I think I gave it 10-15 tries already.

misskitten

ajmayhew

I've remade Goomble Jump to try and make it a bit fairer. There's a red coin collection in there, but it's totally optional.
J1D-NRX-3GG

I've also just put up a new course called Frogger. It's my attempt to create a version of the 80s arcade game of the same name.
J1V-7RE-0CG

@JamesNighthawk
@misskitten
@apolking

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to set up the level so that falling would kill you, to mimick the original game, however, i agree the autoscroll didn't end up working effectively for this so I've taken it out. I still haven't put in a mushroom as the original game was a one hit kill, but I've tried to be more careful with the placement of enemies (although I tested their placement in the original level tons of times, but i guess this is why its important to have others test as well). I thought it was important to add variety, so I've kept in the bumpers and springs, but I've tried to make the bumpers more forgiving and made it easier to practice on them the first time you meet them.

@misskitten I absolutely love the theming in your levels. Winter wonderland was good fun although I found myself quite confused and could only find one route. I was a little peeved when I went through one of the pipes at the end to find myself back at the start, though I probably should have paid more attention to the stars for the correct pipe.

I really love the theming of your Great Plateau level as well, but I found this one too frustrating. I did the bomb shrine without clearing the path back so when I left, having lost Cat Mario I was trapped. Getting past the hammer bros with no power ups was a pain and having to go back to get the Cat power up whenever you lost it seemed unnecessary. I was in the final shrine on one run through and run out of time and then when I started again I did your stasis shrine before I did the lift shrine and found that I'd left the switch in stasis on red which meant the blue track box didn't work! Sorry

Edited on by ajmayhew

My Mario Maker 2 ID: W9G-WQ6-17G

MarioBrickLayer

@misskitten Thanks for the detailed feedback!!

I went back and forth on the jump, I didn't want to make it too easy, if you jump and keep running you can make it under the falling wall, I tried to make it so you have to hit the on/off button, but if you keep running when you land you make it through.

When testing the sawblade/boulder bit, I wanted to keep the player moving and keep them ahead of it, that's why I went with the snake blocks and spikes, I wanted it to feel like you were going to get caught but just make it. if you hold down run through that entire section you should make it through. I didn't know about combining Thwomps and on/off buttons when I made that section, if I was doing it again I would definitely experiment with that.

It was my first attempt at music!! I watched quite a few videos on it, the notes are right, the problem is I didn't find a way of holding a note beyond one block, which is why it doesn't sound as good as it could do.

Thanks!

MarioBrickLayer

misskitten

@ajmayhew strange that you managed to leave the switch in that state, since the puzzle with the on/off switch in the stasis shrine requires you to finish with it being "on" as otherwise you just won't get the pblock all the way through to the other side. I even put two coins on the arrow to indicate that you need to hit it twice. Or are you just saying you assumed the blue track box wasn't working because the switch was on red? Because the blue track box doesn't move until you walk onto it.

The opening shrine does have two hidden mushrooms so you can start out big if you find one of them. And I made the choice with the catsuit to make the tower an integral part of the level, both having the catsuit powerup on top as well as the checkpoint below, plus the arrows telling you where the shrines are. But fair critisism, I don't think it's enough to do a re-upload, but will have this in mind for future levels.

With Winter Wonderland, I did try to visually communicate which of the pipes went where with the stars going to the end, and the cave structure around the other one indicating it would lead to the caves with it looking like the mouth of a cave. If you moved up the mountain to the other pipe, or went back to the skilift and then down through the hotel to the cave entrance there (which is reachable from the start if the player chooses to go right instead of up the skilift) you would have found the winter carnival section (the pipe on top would have you slide down to the entrance, and the other pipe had you walk into it). You can naturally skip the slopes and head straight to the carnival as well, though if you want to do both sections the only route is to do the slopes before the carnival as I did not leave any alternative travel point at the end of the carnival route

Just played Goomble Jump, and it was much more enjoyable without the autoscroll. I did end up spending the level holding a trampoline (since holding run is automatically how I play, lol)

Frogger made me shout at the screen, lol, but at my own incompetence rather than the level itself. The level was excellently executed And because I thought the P-switch was mandatory I even got the 1up ending, lol

misskitten

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic