Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury

Posts 481 to 500 of 692

Tendo64

'I mean', this game is so overrated. I'll just be playing through until the end of the main story mode. Give me proper 3D Mario over this any day.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

rallydefault

@dionysos283
It's not full analog, though - it's 8 directions. At least in 3D World if that's what you're talking about. I think Bowser's Fury is full motion.

For me, this game is "proper" Mario. I've always viewed the Odysseys and Galaxies and whatnot as something else (a very fun something else usually, of course), but the real platforming has always remained with the 2D and 2D-esque games like this one and 3D Land.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Bolt_Strike

Tendo64 wrote:

'I mean', this game is so overrated. I'll just be playing through until the end of the main story mode. Give me proper 3D Mario over this any day.

Seriously. I was so sick of people praising this game up and down for its "creative level ideas" and thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread. Like yeah, there's some interesting ideas for levels, but they don't make this game an innovative masterpiece or make up for some of the gameplay elements they cut from the older 3D games. It's good, and there's definitely some elements here that they could build on down the line, but there's been better and more creative 3D Marios and the main game probably isn't the direction they should be taking (Bowser's Fury, on the other hand...).

@rallydefault Well they definitely need to do something to make "proper" Mario more fun, because the formula's gotten stale and repetitive. Every game is basically the same no matter what "interesting" new powerups and level gimmicks they try to come up with. Bowser kidnaps Peach (or the Sprixies in 3D World), you go through a static world map throughout the Mushroom Kingdom (or the Sprixie Kingdom which is Totally Not the Mushroom Kingdom) completing levels one by one trying to reach the flagpole in a limited amount of time, with the same moves, fighting mainly the same enemies, and then ending in a castle or airship boss level. They don't do enough to shake things up, and I would argue that the sandbox Marios and the "something differents" have contributed far more to the series, and the fact that the linear games have been poaching mechanics they introduced (see: wall jump, long jump, and ground pound being series staples since 64 and migrating over to the linear games in NSMB, 3D Land and 3D World recycling level gimmicks from the Galaxy games, and now Bowser's Fury adding a sandbox gameplay mode to an otherwise linear game and potentially providing a framework for future linear games to incorporate more sandbox elements) reinforces this notion. Not only that, but the "different" 3D games have done a much better job of meshing their settings, gameplay elements, and level gimmicks together to create something with a cohesive identity. Everything in Sunshine is built around F.L.U.D.D. Everything in Galaxy is built around the spin move and gravity mechanics. Everything in Odyssey is built around Cappy. Whereas the linear games are like "Okay, here's the Mushroom Kingdom again, a few new powerups, and some random level gimmicks, but otherwise it's the same game, have fun!", and they only affect a portion of the game whereas the rest of the game is the same, leading the sequels to feel like level packs of the last game instead of unique experiences. They'll need to adopt the same mentality of designing the game around a unique theme if they want the linear games to replicate the same level of creativity and identity.

Luckily, seeing what the new 3D Mario team has done with 3D World's assets, they seem to understand this and Bowser's Fury seems to display the same sort of cohesiveness while still retaining the same semblance of tightly designed linear missions in 3D World proper. I think 3D Mario is in good hands.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Buizel

I quite like having the run button in the main game - I think it would feel a little wrong without it, to be honest, as I think it's important for controlling Mario's momentum in 2D-style games. For Bowser's Fury, however, it's quite annoying having my right thumb always occupied as I'd like it to be free for camera control.

Speaking of Bowser's Fury - I finally started playing it after 100%ing 3D World with Mario (I'll come back to the other characters another time). It's quite a fun little experience - not something I'd recommend the game specifically for, but a nice addition and an interesting view into where 3D Mario could go next. The descriptions of it being a massive Odyssey stage that plays like 3D World are pretty accurate...although I'll add that the islands with their multiple sequential objectives are reminiscent of 64, Sunshine and Galaxy as well.

It was quite interesting having a bit more of an open Mario game but, if I'm honest, it felt a bit too much like a number of platforming tasks separated by a body of water than an interesting world that is exciting to explore (I think Sunshine and Odyssey did a much better job of this, but of course on a smaller scale). If the next 3D Mario does aim for a continuous open world, I'd quite like to see it go the Jak and Daxter route, where each area is quite distinct yet it's still believable that such different areas are continuous with one-another.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

dionysos283

I think I now know why I dislike the controls of 3D World so much: It's the lack of an in air jump correction like the cap-throw in Odyssey, the spin-attack in Galaxy, or Fludd in Sunshine. But since it has a (almost) fixed camera, 3D World needs this move more than any of the other 3D Mario games.

In almost every level I misjudge jumps because of the fixed camera, but I can't correct the jump, and so I either loose a life or a power up, which always feels unfair and frustrating. And what did Nintendo add instead of a jump correction move? An unnecessary run button. 😂

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

Sisilly_G

@dionysos283 : That's bothered me a bit too. I have occasionally tried to jump in mid-air to no avail, and the other characters (Peach is my main) are a little bothersome to control as a result.

At times like this, a 3D display would have been perfect, and I miss the unique advantage that the 3DS provided.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

rallydefault

@Bolt_Strike
I don't know what to tell ya, man. It's almost like different people prefer different games. I just love the traditional Mario games. It's like comfort food for me.

And Nintendo's just a company like any other. As long as the product sells, they'll keep making it and updating it slightly every time.

So, yea. I really have nothin else to say. I'm just a guy who much prefers the traditional formula. Odyssey was an incredibly bad game for me. One of the only Mario games I haven't gotten 100%. They just drowned themselves in moons, making many of them feel ridiculous, and Mario's physics in the game just never clicked with me for some reason. I'll take compact, engaging-yet-short levels with just a few collectibles any day.

rallydefault

Ralizah

Two observations:

1) It's really striking how short most of these levels really are. They're generally one or two really tiny levels that you can run through in 10 - 15 seconds if you know where to go. It's a great fit for the Switch in handheld mode, though. It FEELS like a portable Mario game.

2) I don't particularly remember this game feeling slow on the Wii U, but I don't think I could go back to a slower running speed at this point. Even Peach kinda feels slow to me now, and she's apparently about as fast as Toad was in the original. Might just sell my Wii U version.

It's fun, though. I repurchased 3D Land so I can play that sometime after beating this and compare/contrast them.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Alfredo18

does anybody want to help me beat champions road?

e

i dont have touch with alot of my friends lol

btw friend code: SW-1378-3968-2485

TeeJay

@dionysos283 You can do a little dive now to correct jumps. This is new to this port.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

MarioVillager92

@Alfredo18 Yeah sure, I'll give it my all. I'll be a bit busy throughout the last two weekdays but I should be free during the weekends. We're friends on Switch now, would you wanna play during this weekend?

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

rallydefault

It's kind of crazy how much I love Bowser's Fury. I have 93/100 shines right now and I "beat" it twice. Probably like 8ish hours so far. It's awesome.

rallydefault

dionysos283

I was playing 3D World on a train ride recently and found that its gameplay is much better suited for handheld gaming in short burst, rather than home console gaming. 3D World feels much more like a 2D Mario game. I feel sorry for Wii U owners, who only had this as their "3D" Mario game.

dionysos283

Alfredo18

yeah, ya free now? some people say friday iss part of the weekend

e

i dont have touch with alot of my friends lol

btw friend code: SW-1378-3968-2485

rallydefault

@dionysos283
That was the gist with 3D Land and 3D World. They weren't supposed to be the next Galaxy (or Odyssey as it turned out). They were meant to be a halfway between the 2D and 3D games in terms of perspective, but they adhered most closely to the linear run-through of the 2D tradition. And 3D Land did awesome stuff with the 3D effects.

I'm not saying you personally, but people need to research their purchases more. I've counted so many people in this thread not only upset that this game wasn't like Odyssey, but really just throwing the whole thing in the trash because of it. That's not what the game is. I don't buy Call of Duty and then get mad when it's not Battlefield. I know not everyone was around for the Wii U version, but come on - you're posting on a Nintendo forum regularly, you probably have the time to get an idea for what the game is. Don't buy it if you know you no longer enjoy the traditional 2D formula.

rallydefault

dionysos283

@rallydefault
To be fair the "3D" in the name is very misleading. Maybe it was more accurate in the 3DS version due to its 3D effect. And the game has major flaws that for me at least make it one of the weaker 3D Marios. But my point was that it was the only 3D Mario fix Wii U owners got, which makes me feel sorry for them.

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

jump

@dionysos283 What are it's major flaws? Everything it does and wants to do is very well executed in my opinion.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

dionysos283

@jump
For me mainly the controls in combination with the almost fixed camera.

dionysos283

Maaryotyme

@dionysos283 I feel sorry for the Wii u owners. They got to play a lot of the switch library before the switch ports

Maaryotyme

dionysos283

@MetalToad
They practically have to play the same games for almost a decade now!

dionysos283

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic