Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,741 to 4,760 of 4,881

Tendo64

BenAV wrote:

@Tendo64 He's in the middle of the crowd during Splatfest.

Yep found him in the end!! Thanks mate

Tendo64

WoomyNNYes

I thought I was safe-ish under the ledge. Look at how this roller splats me at the end. Does this look weird to anyone?

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
(Nobody says "extreme". I said it to be silly.)
Playing: Rocket League, and um.... Rocket League.

crashcontrol

@WoomyNNYes Lol that was an interesting way to die.

Inkling, Joker and Sonic main in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

My favourite game ever is UNDERTALE

My favourite villager in ACNH is Phoebe

I speedrun Sonic Mania Plus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7941- 0589-4299

Switch Username: KyleRenSM

PSN: crashcontrol

Tendo64

WoomyNNYes wrote:

I thought I was safe-ish under the ledge. Look at how this roller splats me at the end. Does this look weird to anyone?

Rigged.

Tendo64

Mr-Fuggles777

Hi guys,

Looking for a little advice about Splatoon, im thinking about picking it up but im wondering what its like in terms of content as its coming into it's 3rd year.

Is it still being supported with new content as im dubious paying £80 + whatever the dlc costs (we need 2 copies to play together) for such an old game - especially given its shortcomings (No voice chat for a team based shooter, a limited horde mode and most lobbies will likely be populated with the sweats who have stuck it out for 3 years resulting in a steep difficulty curve)

Thanks

My handwriting is really bad - no one can read my Signature

My Nintendo: Badger | Nintendo Network ID: SW-7629-6884-5091

Ninchiku

Its got a player base of like 10 millions if im not mistaken so theres a lot of people online all the time and you'll be matched with people of your skill level so no problem on that side. The only thing is i'd recommend using a LAN adapter for the internet connection

Ninchiku

Mr-Fuggles777

@Ninchiku thanks for the reply.
We've both got Lites so Lan is out of the question unfortunately.
The Mrs isn't very good at shooters so I thought of Splatoon as it looks more casual, I should be able to carry her - especially as it would be easier to talk team tactics sat next to each other, rather than having to rely on ingame chat (which is usually non existent on Switch lol).
How many game modes are there?

Ninchiku

@ChaosBadger777

Well you have 3 main game modes and then you have sub modes in one of them which all play quite diferently

You first have the Turf War which is the first game mode introduced in the original splatoon, in which you basically have to paint the most turf possible

The second game mode is ranked battles which have sub modes : splat zones in which you have to keep control of one specific zone on the map for a certain amount of time, tower control in which you have to keep control of a moving "tower" to bring it from point A to point B (probably the most fun to me), the rainmaker in which you have an item that double as a special weapon on the centre of the map that you have to bring into the adverse camp (the person carrying it can use it as a charger weapon but its slow so your team have to defend your surrounding to bring you there), and the clam blitz mode in which you have to collect more clams than the other team but if you get splatted you loose some of your clams which the other team can then collect (to be honest i havnt played this one that much so im not too sure)

Third main mode is Salmon Run, in which you go in the wild with a team and play against the AI to go and collect eggs, its fun too, very different from the other modes, it really brings something different and makes you work as a team

Then of course you have the Octo Valley which is the campaign mode, i havnt played it yet which is a shame because everybody says its great i actually plan to start playing it in the coming days, in this mode you have levels which includes diferent types of enemies, platforming and at least one boss (maybe more than one im not sure). I played the campaign mode in the original Splatoon, and it was very fun

Edited on by Ninchiku

Ninchiku

Mr-Fuggles777

@Ninchiku thank you very much for that. I appreciate your help.

Whats the party system like, is there an invite option and is it easy to add friends to your team?

Ninchiku

Yes its easy, when you enter the lobby you choose "play with friends" and you'll see who is on and you can join them, you just have to wait for their game to end to enter the next one

If you decide to get the game hit me up maybe we can play together

Edit : Theres also an option to play with a whole team of yours but i never had the oportunity to use it

Edited on by Ninchiku

Ninchiku

WoomyNNYes

@ChaosBadger777 I'm assuming ₤80 is for the game+DLC. You can buy the Octo expansion DLC at any time - it's just a single player campaign. While it's very good, it is more difficult. It's meant to be played after you beat the main game's single player campaign. So, if you finish and like the single player campaign, Octo expansion is an easy recommendation. Otherwise, no need to buy the DLC.

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider

Mr-Fuggles777

@WoomyNNYes £80 is for two copies (for me and the mrs) of the base game - its still £40 each. I doubt I will pick up the expansion as it looks to be just single player which doesn't interest me.

We are looking for a fun shooter that we can team up together and take it online. Pickings are pretty slim on Switch for shooters unfortunately.

Maxz

@ChaosBadger777 I’ve had trouble playing with two devices simultaneously on the same internet connection - have you checked this is possible with other games?

If you’re set on playing together, I think I should also mention you’ll be limited to League mode and Private Battles. League Mode actually covers the same modes as Ranked Mode, so it’s not actually much of a restriction, but instead you’ll be given a temporary rank based on your performance as a pair in the particular ‘session’ in which you play. Ranked Mode is fundamentally a single player mode which keeps track of your rank over multiple sessions.

I’d be interested to hear from people other who’ve played to game on a Lite. For a competitive online shooter, it’s obviously ideal to have as much screen estate as possible, and it’s also a game that generally works best with gyro aiming which would mean waving the console itself around. However, if you’re used to standard stick controls and are already accustomed to playing on the Lite’s smaller screen, then hopefully you should be fine.

It’s one of my very favourite games on the system so I’d recommend it to anyone, but these are things worth keeping in mind.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Mr-Fuggles777

@Maxz thank you for this, might give it a miss if we would be limited to those few game modes.

We have been playing Diablo 3 (although that seems to be more local than online now because there's never anyone else running greater rifts) and Animal Crossing. We haven't really come across any connection issues in those games, although Smash was pretty much unplayable online using one Lite so might depend on the game.

Mr-Fuggles777

Bit the bullet and picked it up, the Mrs isn't sure about it but im loving it so far.
The controls are a bit different and I had to switch off gyro (it was making me nauseous) but im having fun - you notice the lack of voice chat in the lobbies though

Anyone want to team up with a noob and help me learn feel free to drop me a message or FR

WoomyNNYes

@ChaosBadger777 I didn't like motion control aiming at first, and I think that's the normal reaction for many, many people, but it's so advantageous for aiming, it is THEE way the way to play. At first, you're not used to the camera moving so easily with motion, but you'll get used to it fairly quickly. People that fight it end up regretting not getting used to it earlier. It just takes an hour or two. I'll respect whatever conclusion you come to, but that's the advice you'll find across the board, even from Alex Olney<33.

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider

Mr-Fuggles777

@WoomyNNYes I've got the lite and find it quite disorientating moving the screen to aim as opposedto just a controller, I will give it another go as the stick controls are quite sloppy compared to other shooters and I can see there is a definite advantage between those using it and those not.

WoomyNNYes

@ChaosBadger777 Understandable. Got ya. Forgot you're on the Lite. If I play handheld, I still use motion control, but you're right, playing handheld vs TV has it's differences. I sometimes play the single player handheld.

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider

Northwind

So, I am very late to the party but I’ve just picked this up. Played for around 4 hours so far, got through stage 5 of the single player campaign. I am utterly gawdawful, lol. I’m also unsure my wifi is currently stable enough to handle online play; haven’t tried yet, but will later.

EDIT (because I see it’s been discussed): I too am stuck playing in handheld mode for the foreseeable future, so gyro aiming is extra-awkward. For now I’ve disabled it, as I found it unpleasant to have to move the entire screen to aim.

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

BenAV

@Northwind If you can get into the habit of using the stick for all large movements and just using gyro for the finer aiming then it works well even in handheld mode. It's orth playing around with the sensitivity settings a bit till they feel the most comfortable too. I have them set a little higher for handheld than I do for docked.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic