Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 4,761 to 4,771 of 4,771

Northwind

[ETIQUETTE QUESTION]
I'm considering running a few online matches just to see whether my internet can handle it. BUT, I'm a total noob and the entire reason I'm doing this is because I think there's a chance I might lag like crazy. My internet at the place I currently am is not super great in the best of circumstances, and over the next while it's very likely going to be worse on account of an ongoing windstorm (33+ mph, ~55km/h, winds with gusts 2-3 times that) and an incoming icestorm. These are apparently bad enough to have tripped the 'dangerous weather' warning in Pokemon Go and are going to collectively going to make my 55-minute walk to work tomorrow evening a tiny bit unpleasant , so they could plausibly affect internet connectivity too.

So, like, what's the etiquette for this?
Is there a solo mode or a mode with bots?

At this point in this game's lifespan, when most people I'm seeing in the plaza have stars next to their level, wandering into a random lobby under these conditions would be incredibly disrespectful of me.

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

BenAV

@Northwind The game tries to match you up against players of similar level so you'll most likely end up in a lobby full of other relatively new players. I wouldn't worry too much about it, regular battles (turf war) is all just a bit of fun with no rating or anything anyway. Just give it a go, try your best and hope your connection holds up.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

Northwind

@BenAV, thanks, I'll give it a try. My concern was that there probably aren't any players at my level right now. We'll see, I guess!

BenAV

@Northwind The game's a few years old but it's a major first party release that's still one of the best online multiplayer games on the system so there should still be quite a few new players on a regular basis as long as the Switch itself continues to sell really well. You get to play against all the children that got the game for Christmas.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

Northwind

@BenAV, I get to fight children? Well, count me in!

Mr-Fuggles777

@Northwind I've only recently started playing mysels and it seems to use SBMM for the most part. You could also try playing the horde mode which is co-op and gives you chance to try out the weapons in a more competitive arena than the single player campaign allows.
Feel free to drop me a friend request, I will happily jump into a lobby with you whenever I'm online.

My handwriting is really bad and no one can read my Signature

WoomyNNYes

@Northwind Splatoon 2 does a decent job of telling you if your connection is too weak/inconsistent to play. So, it will work, or it won't. Or the game will tell you. There won't be much mystery. Online play is not data heavy. All the heave stuff (the actual game) is on the console, and the internet just shares movement data, which is easy lifting compared to streaming HD video or surfing nintendolife.

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
(Nobody says "extreme". I said it to be silly.)
Playing: Rocket League, Immortals
Would pay handsomely for Geoguessr on Switch

ToadBrigade

@Northwind Don’t worry, there are still new players. I just got it at the end of last year! I definitely don’t have much skill yet, I’m basically constantly being killed and yelling at the TV 😂. Then again, that kind of proves what you said about everyone else having more experience.

Hollow Knight for Smash!
CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Golden Deer)
Splatoon 2 Campaign
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Northwind

I appreciate the reassurance, everyone! I'll def try out a Turf fight next time I'm at my Switch.

IsaKoss05

@Northwind Sometimes you will get put together with really high levels (idk why) that happened to me when I was a low level.

Edited on by IsaKoss05

IsaKoss05

Northwind

@IsaKoss05, like, that's not inherently a problem for me - but it was part of my concern in that this is a team game and tbf it's probs rather disrespectful to them

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic