Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 3,072

Octane

@Araquanid But at the same time they're selling post-game as DLC. It feels like this should've been in the game in the first place IMO.

Octane

Dogorilla

@jump That may be because Darkrai is now considered to be a Mythical Pokemon rather than a Legendary. Before Gen 5 they were all referred to as Legendaries outside of Japan, but now event Pokemon (which is what Darkrai is) are referred to as Mythical instead.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

alpacatears

I didn't get sword and shield myself as I get a bit frustrated at how Nerfed I personally feel the franchise has become, but the DLC actually sounds pretty standard and par for the course in the current gaming climate. We've had DLC for some of the biggest game releases on the Switch since it was released and I didn't expect Pokemon to be any different. I really hope that the people who do buy it find it to be a fun and enjoyable way to flesh out the game a bit

alpacatears

Tobiaku

To be honest, I would have prefered it if the DLC wast just a shorter 30$ spinoff about you training that panda sorta similar to the GameCube spinoffs.

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Eel

@jump not all of those were in the game data, it was just a few.

Anyway I'm quite content with getting two new wild areas and extra post game. Kinda sad it probably means we won't get a third version that makes the main Galar story more interesting, but at the same time I'm glad it's dlc and updates instead of a third redudant game that leaves the previous cartridge obsolete.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

@Eel
What is the third part from Sword (Offensive) & Shield (Defensive) ?
The Balance ?

Anti-Matter

Manah

I'm on the fence about this as is because the game doesn't feel complete enough to warrant 30€ for more content, but separate passes for each version too?

Edited on by Manah

Eel

@Anti-Matter Pokemon Crown would've been a nice one. I guess.

About the different pases, well they're two separate games, are there any games in the eshop that share dlc?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

iKhan

Damn now I really want the games. These look amazing.

Hopefully I can find Sw/Sh either used for cheaper or on sale, so I don't end up dropping 90 bucks on the games

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Grumblevolcano

Just watched the Direct, pleasantly surprised that Game Freak went the DLC route. The expansion pass looks promising.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

Anti-Matter wrote:

What is the third part from Sword (Offensive) & Shield (Defensive) ?
The Balance ?

Cash In.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Ryu_Niiyama

Gotta say I am liking the idea of this new content. and considering they are releasing two locations it feels like they took the concept of having to successor games like ultrasun/ultramoon smashed them together like a third game and staggered it out to keep the releases from being consumed and made stale too early. Super Excited!

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Sisilly_G

A third version would have been cheaper than paying AU$90 for expansion passes for both versions. Plus, the expansion passes will be console locked, so I can't trade/raid between my regular Switch (Shield) and my Switch Lite (Sword) which share my NNID, so this is atrocious value for money as far as I am concerned, and I would much, much rather have paid a bit more for physical versions instead. I'm happy to buy what basically amounts to the same game twice year in and year out, but paid DLC, and TWICE at that is the nail in the coffin for me. I was just completely dumbfounded throughout the Direct last night. If this is the future of the franchise, then they have lost a very loyal customer in me.

I don't begrudge those who want to pay less for a downloadable expansion, but if they do not release a complete physical edition with the DLC on the cartridge, I think I will consider the franchise dead in my eyes (or perhaps cautiously limit myself to spin-offs or deliberate on purchasing future installments on a case-by-case basis). That's 20+ years of goodwill down the drain just to follow the downward trajectory of the gaming industry. Every other mainland game in the history of the franchise was complete on the cartridge (with the odd update on 3DS which were merely bug fixes). The fact that this was spruiked as a home console game, and even with a AU$45 expansion contains less content than the 3DS games is scummy to the extreme.

It is beyond idiotic that Mareepish customers routinely make excuses for corporate greed. GTAV is complete as it is and has been flying off shelves since 2013 (it is also one of the highest budget games of all time). It's not our concern to worry about how much a game cost to make (besides, one must spend money to make money, as the saying goes). Movies also cost substantially more to make nowadays, and movie prices have remained mostly the same (if not in theatres, then certainly in the home media/streaming space), and yet many films are yielding record profits. It's up to producers to gauge the potential audience and/or any potential risks. There has never been a Pokémon game that wasn't profitable (from memory) anyway, and any losses on their end is not ours to worry about. Game Freak's recent decisions boil down to greed and contempt for their loyal customers, plain and simple, and the more we permit, the more they will etch away.

Good for those who are happy about this, I guess, but considering how badly Game Freak have handled the franchise in the space of a single installment, I am no longer optimistic about the future of the franchise. It's a crying shame too, because, I can't lie, the new content does look quite nice, but Sword/Shield should have been delayed so that this content would have been standard, as those who have actually played the game can attest to how bare bones it has been.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Sisilly_G

@DarthNocturnal : Hardly ideal as that would entail hours of tedious trading back and forth with somebody who has purchased the DLC (and presumably completed the expanded Dex).

DLC is locked to being played on one console at a time. If I tried to play a game with the DLC content on my Switch Lite, I cannot be using my regular Switch (registered as the primary console) to use software containing DLC at the same time, so if I purchase the expansion passes, say, I wouldn't even be able to trade/raid with myself. A physical package(s) would have been infinitely preferable.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Sisilly_G

@DarthNocturnal : But users are barred from using their secondary consoles to play DLC content if the primary console is online (and the secondary console always performs an online check to determine whether the primary console is also online if you wish to use downloaded software/DLC on the secondary console). Both passes would be tied to the same NNID, so I can't use DLC content on two consoles tied to the same NNID simultaneously even if the DLC pertains to what is technically considered separate software.

And by console locked, I am also referring to the fact that the content is not on the cartridge and is locked to a single console at any given time. If I were to share the same copy of a game (with other members of the household) so that they could use it on their own Switch console, the DLC requires a separate purchase, which is one of the many reasons why it is such awful value for money, not to mention that the majority are disproportionately priced for what they offer. For example, Smash Ultimate with 70 or so characters retails for AU$89.95 (I won't argue with the value proposition there), but if you want more five more characters that you can only use on one console? That's about AU$32.50 more. The worst part is that the fighter passes don't even include the Mii costumes, so to buy all DLC released thus far (and there is a second fighter pass on the way!), it would cost about AU$60 for a mere 6 new characters (and associated stages/music) and a couple of dozen or so Mii costumes. Considering that the base game can be readily picked up for AU$69 at retail, that's disgustingly overpriced. Add the second fighter pass and any additional Mii costumes that will be released between now and whenever Nintendo decides to put the brakes on any further DLC, and that's well over the cost of the base game for a tiny, tiny fraction of the content.

I have bought very little DLC so far. I only bought the Captain Toad DLC as I was able to pay for it with my Gold coins (no way in hell was I paying real money for it). I actually cursed when they announced it during the direct as I thought that it would be one of the few "safe" games that would retain its version 1.0 status (hence being complete on cartridge with no updates/DLC), however the new content is absolutely negligible (comprised mostly of recycled content) and should have just been part of the base game as Nintendo didn't exactly add any new content apart from swapping four of the levels with those based on ones from Super Mario Odyssey, and the new content didn't bring anything meaningful to the table.

Good for those that welcome these sorts of practices, I suppose, but I do not share the enthusiasm that the masses seem to have for DLC, less so now than ever.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

Sisilly_G

@DarthNocturnal : Unfortunately that's how it works.

And hence why I was specific about wanting the DLC on the cartridge itself as I won't buy a base cartridge with a mere download code. For example, I would have double-dipped by grabbing the Gold Edition of Mario + Rabbids if Ubisoft had included a complete cartridge.

Dogorilla

@Silly_G I'm not trying to be rude here, your opinion is totally valid obviously, but I find it a bit odd that you're unhappy about paying for DLC but you're fine with buying both versions of every Pokémon game. You say that the Captain Toad DLC has a negligible amount of new content and that Smash's DLC is overpriced (I can't comment on the Captain Toad DLC but I partially agree about Smash), but surely the amount of extra content you get from buying both versions of a Pokémon game, compared to just buying one, is even more negligible and is effectively just buying the same game twice. I agree this DLC seems rather expensive and it would be better to have it all on the cartridge as standard, especially given that Sword/Shield has less content than most previous Pokémon games. But if the alternative is TPC releasing the same game again, for the same price, with a handful of new content that you have to play through the game all over again to access, I'll take DLC over that any day.

Funky Kong

Sisilly_G

@Dogorilla : I didn't detect a hint of rudeness or malice in your comment. I understand where you're coming from, but perhaps I should point out that it's the preservationist/archivist in me that will always prefer having a complete package (even if it's more costly, though of course even I have my limits). As I said, I do not begrudge those who prefer a DLC pack, and absolutely, the option should be available for those who desire it, but a physical option (like Emerald/Platinum/Ultra before it) should also be issued for those who prefer that. My preference for additional choices does not impede upon those who prefer the downloadable option.

Even with prior updates/re-releases, being able to play through the 40 or so hour games again without having to wipe my save data is worth the cost of entry, otherwise I would have just skipped them like many others have (and that's fine too).

But I resent and frankly despise having the choice taken away when it has been standard over the last 21 years, especially as Pokémon games are those that I keep coming back to, and I hate the idea of, for the first time in the franchise's history, not having a complete version of the game on cartridge when no other game in the mainland series has had content added after the fact, or had console-locked DLC content.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

Dogorilla

@Silly_G I see where you're coming from now. That's understandable, it would make sense for Nintendo to release a 'complete edition' with all the DLC on a cartridge. I think they did that with Smash Bros for Wii U but I can't find any info about it now so I'm not sure if it was all included on the disc (or if it was even a real thing or if I just imagined it, which is entirely possible). It's a shame Nintendo doesn't do it with more of their games.
Regarding the ability to play through the game again without deleting your save file, at least the Switch gives you the option to do that with just one copy of the game by making a new account (even if it is a bit of a hassle to do that each time).

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic