Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 2,501 to 2,520 of 3,072

Gravitron

@Bolt_Strike Nintendo also used to have sex hotels back in the hanafuda days. Does that mean they could run a successful brothel today? Not necessarily, but with they amount of money they have behind them it would be hard to fail.

Gravitron

Bolt_Strike

@link3710 Depends on what you mean by "mess with". I think they'll keep the same people on to work with the TCG and let them keep making it the way they do for the most part, but they also introduce new ideas such as the Amiibo cards. Beyond that, I think they're more concerned with the games.

@Gravitron Unlike with sex hotels, Nintendo actually still produces cards such as the Amiibo and E-reader cards link3710 mentioned.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

link3710

@Bolt_Strike Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I meant. While I doubt NFC cards will ever fully take over, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Rare' or 'Holo' in each pack also be NFC. Point is, I think they'll let the actual card game aspect alone, as you said.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

Managed to get this a few days ago and got to the 3rd town. The wild area is fine though I haven't done any Max Raid Battles (don't really know when a good level to start is, guessing 15 is way too low) and while the Wild Area works well (reminds me of the some of the Xenoblade areas like that big area at the bottom of Tantal), I wouldn't want open world Pokemon in the future (though I hope if BotW 2 is still open world it can show me open world can be a positive change).

As for other things, I like the variety in generations of Pokemon you can catch and it's cool your typing options are much more varied than usual. While autosave is good so far, I could see it being annoying later in the game if you still are only limited to 1 Master Ball.

The biggest complaint I have so far is that Y-Comm is a massive downgrade from the communication system used in Pokemon X and Y and I'd guess Pokemon Home is the reason (physical copies even come with an ad for Pokemon Home). Still don't like it when mobile apps end up being replacements to system features, see Nintendo Switch Online mobile app for example.

Got a long way to go but so far it's mostly feeling very much like a normal Pokemon game.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano The wild area scales with your progress, as do the raid battles. So you can do them right away. The downside is that everything in the wild area is level 60+ once you've beat the game.

Octane

megasean

@Octane and others: My friend and I have been mostly skipping the wild area to save for postgame content and to avoid overlevelling our pokemon for the gym/trainer battles. (I have also been keeping a 10-15 pokemon rotation going to help prevent it.) Without spoilers, would you guys advise against that? So far, through three gyms, it's worked well. Our plan is to jump into non-story stuff (online, wild area) after we finish the game. Thanks!

3DS: 0834-4562-2419
Wii U/Switch: seandizz

Nintendo Network ID: seandizz

Octane

@megasean By the end of the game I had a team of around 20 mons. Maybe even more than that; a full party and a full box, but I didn't like some evolutions, so I boxed my starter once it reached level 30 for example.

But yeah, it works, and it helps making the game a little more difficult.

I did do the wild area, though there isn't much to do apart from catching Pokemon. I did a few raid battles, and I used the candy, because the battles themselves don't give you EXP.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

I've finished the main story and postgame story content. Overall it's a good game with a decent story, very good characters and the new gameplay additions (e.g. Wild Area, Dynamax) are fine though I think it could've done with more time. The second half felt a much smaller scope than the first half like Balloonlea and Spikemuth are pretty much just a Pokemon Center and Gym with the gym challenge for those 2 and Hammerlocke not having some cool twist like the other 5.

I do think Sword/Shield sets up for sequels rather than enhanced versions particularly with certain story parts and the whole major/minor league setup (there's uniforms for all 18 types and between both games you obtain 10 via defeating gym leaders). My current rankings of the main series games would be:

1. Emerald
2. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
3. Ruby/Sapphire
4. X/Y
5. Sword/Shield
6. Heart Gold/Soul Silver
7. Crystal
8. Gold/Silver
9. Fire Red/Leaf Green
10. Yellow
11. Red/Blue
12. Diamond/Pearl
13. Black/White

Games not played:

• Platinum (was disappointed with Diamond/Pearl at the time so didn't bother with Platinum, will give gen 4 another chance if remakes come to Switch)
  • Black 2/White 2 (bought them at the same time as Black/White but lost interest in Black/White so didn't bother with the sequels)
  • Sun/Moon (had 3DS problems around launch that I didn't resolve because Switch took over)
  • Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (see Sun/Moon)
  • Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (insane Switch backlog meant I haven't gotten around to it yet outside of getting to the controller screen so I could get the Pikachu for Sword)

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

What were they thinking when they named Urshi%fu#@?

Octane

Sisilly_G

What were they thinking?

The only way they will redeem themselves in my eyes is if they release a complete physical release with the expansion content on the cartridge at the end of the year.

This is the most contemptible thing that TPCi has ever done. I'm a huge fan and buy both versions (and sometimes in addition to that for siblings) but I am not going to reward others for their mistreatment, and this could very well be the end of the road.

The Direct noted that the passes are $29.95 each implying that the other version is not provided at no additional charge even though it's just a download and the difference in content between the two are negligible. What a spit in the face of those who have bought the double pack/both versions. That would most likely translate to AU$45 or even as high as $50 for one pass. That's about as much as the DS and 3DS games were at launch, and they were complete physical releases.

I'll most likely continue playing the Pokémon games that I do have in my possession going forward, but I do not intend to support any more of this season pass garbage going forward. Way to alienate their long-standing fans.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Dogorilla

@Silly_G This expansion pass does seem a bit overpriced but I'd much rather have DLC than 'Ultra Sword and Shield' or whatever.

@scubydo Most of them are returning Pokemon from old games, not actually new ones if that's what you mean. But yeah I think what they said about 200 Pokemon being in the expansion pass means that those are ones that aren't currently in the game.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Harmonie

So is it $30 for both DLCs for one game, or is it $30 for each DLC?

That makes a huge difference in how reasonable this is. If it is the former, then it is a great deal, as we're essentially getting what was formerly a full release third version for half of the price, but if it is the latter, then it is no better at all.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Dogorilla

@Harmonie It's $30 for the expansion pass, which includes both DLCs

Funky Kong

Harmonie

@DarthNocturnal @Dogorilla That's what I was thinking. That's a relief. I mean, it's crappy that it doesn't cover both games, but I never buy both anyway, so to me this is not the worst deal.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Araquanid

Ok ngl this was a pleasent surprise.

30 dollar DLC might seem scammy at first, but considering this update also includes additional post game, move tutors, underground containing all previous legendaries, and we're getting it this soon when the alternative is another 60 dollar followup version is actually really nice.

Thank god they also confirmed you don't have to buy the expansion to be able to trade said pokemon between games, you're not forced to buy it but the tutors + option to soft reset all the legendaries + story + whatever else is in it will give incentive to buy it.

I just don't understand why GF toyed with the community this hard before the reveal... if they simply said there was going to be a future expansion like this, nobody would be so gloom and doom about the franchise. Either they last minute made the decision to use this as a way to add more pokemon and listened to their fans, or they knew from the start and just let the fire spread.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Dogorilla

@scubydo I'm pretty sure they'll be found in the new areas that are being added in the expansion.

Funky Kong

jump

@Araquanid it's not all previous legendaries, Darkrai for instance is missing. A datamine showed that these Pokémon were already in the game a few days before release.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic