Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 1,661 to 1,680 of 3,072

BlackTalon2

competitive just got messed up again, if you go by the leaks, a few of the new pokemon and the legendaries will be S tier, according to the leaked stats. namely, dragapult, barraskewda in rain, zacian, zamazenta and eternatus. and from what i have seen, so is hatterene.

it should not be that hard to make a balanced pokemon. they have done it before. i think gamefreak deliberately makes some pokemon OP, just to make them popular, to sell merchandise.

VIVA CRISTO REY !

Justifier

@BlackTalon2
Well, they already banned legendaries (and some more) from the first online battle competition.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 @Heavyarms55 If we go by the current pattern with the traditional remakes, Gen 5 wouldn't be until the Switch's successor which may not even be a hybrid. I'd like for the Switch's successor to be the Switch 2 but Nintendo's way too unpredictable for that to be anywhere near a certainty.

Even then that's assuming we're even getting anymore traditional remakes, we could just be getting Gen 1-3 repeatedly in different ways like how SEGA mostly ignores their classics that aren't on the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

BlackTalon2 wrote:

competitive just got messed up again, if you go by the leaks, a few of the new pokemon and the legendaries will be S tier, according to the leaked stats. namely, dragapult, barraskewda in rain, zacian, zamazenta and eternatus. and from what i have seen, so is hatterene.

it should not be that hard to make a balanced pokemon. they have done it before. i think gamefreak deliberately makes some pokemon OP, just to make them popular, to sell merchandise.

I always thought they make Pokémon cutesy to sell mech, I never see Garchomp plushies for example but there's plushies for the starters, petite event legendary etc.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Heavyarms55

@Grumblevolcano That's possible. It's also possible that they might just stop with remakes for a while. I don't think it likely, but it's possible.

Personally rather than a remake of gen 4 or gen 5, I'd just like to go back to Sinnoh and Unova with a new adventure. Only Kanto in G/S/C and Unova in BW2 have been returns to the same region as opposed to remakes.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Sisilly_G

@Heavyarms55 : I don't know. I think Let's Go Gen II is extremely likely for next year. They already had all of the Kanto groundwork sorted out for them with the first Let's Go game (which will be used as post-game content for the Gen II remakes).

But a full-scale Gen IV remake after that I think might be overkill, but it wouldn't surprise me either. By the time late 2021 rolls around, it would have been 14 years since playing Pokémon Pearl, and in late 2022, they will most likely launch Gen IX.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Heavyarms55

@Silly_G I don't know. I think it's still up in the air whether we get another Let's Go title. Yes it sold well, but I still feel like that was more GF trying to learn how to make a game on Switch and get paid for it. I'd only guess a 60/40 chance for the Let's Go Johto. (and if they don't call it that, someone deserves to be demoted! I'm still salty that Splatoon 2 wasn't Splatwoon!)

link3710

I'll just say that I think my problem is I live in the middle ground. I don't actually compare about trying to be the best in competitive online play, I just like end game challenges like PWT/Frontier/sorta Maison, as well as the exploration aspects of the post-game.

link3710

Heavyarms55

Well we've only heard vague things about the post game, some leaks contradicting, if more recent rumors are to be believed, the leaker was caught and it seems leaks have largely stopped. We don't know for sure what the post game in Sw/Sh will entail and probably wont until next week, unless someone else gets the game early.

redd214

Go save some $$ guys, it'll help some of your grumpiness lol

redd214

Justifier

@Snaplocket
Perhaps 70-80 in most reviews. More "Nintendo-heavy" sites it would be 90.

But I'd guess that metacritic score would be somewhere 75-85.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Eel

Yeah I don’t see they scoring too different from the regular Pokémon score range. Besides the few sites that will want to capitalize on the hate train.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Grumblevolcano

Review score around the same as previous games. User score is best just to ignore, obviously it'll be review bombed like most big games nowadays and probably come out as around 3.0.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

The unfortunate reality with a lot of game reviews is that these sites usually peg long time fans to review games. The result is that longstanding series flaws tend to get overlooked and dismissed, because to long time fans they are just part and parcel for the series. When that's combined with novelty bias, it results in inflated scores.

Case in point: Skyward Sword got really glowing reviews when it first came out. IGN said it was better than Ocarina of Time. But in the context of a Breath of the Wild, we can clearly look back at Skyward Sword and see that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be (for many people).

For this reason, I think Sw/Sh will get pretty positive reviews regardless of how ambitious or interesting it is. People like IGN's Casey Defritas and Miranda Sanchez can be great reviewers, but they love Pokemon so much that they have a pretty limited set of expectations, which, if satisfied, will lead to a good review.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Heavyarms55

At this point the only people's opinions on these games that I will trust will be my own and my friends' opinions. The internet hate train has been the worst part of Pokemon Sword and Shield for me. Everywhere I've talked about the games, anything positive is buried in the same old complaints.

5 days? I took Friday off, I can't wait!

iKhan

@Snaplocket

I acknowledge a lot of people love Skyward Sword, but even the people who love it acknowledge that it's a very flawed game. It has a lot of padding and gets super handholdy. It's pretty widely acknowledged to be one of the weaker 3D Zelda games.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Quarth

@Heavyarms55 I'm also free from work on Friday, it will be a great day!

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

iKhan

So apparently the EXP Share can't be turned off

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/348837-game-freak-explains...

Ohmori wrote:

Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC.

To that I say

Edited on by iKhan

Octane

@iKhan I know. It's incredibly stupid. And it's not like having the option to turn it off would be difficult to implement. It's probably the worst thing for me in this game, because it's not how I like to play the games. I don't even understand why it's in the game in the first place.

Octane

jump

On the topic of Skyward Sword whilst very flawed is too strong there certainly were complaints about it having gimmicky controls and how linear the game was at the time. The linear complaints is partially what led to Breath Of The Wild being so open which is probably the game's defining trait. At the very least it shows they were listening to the feedback of fans which is something Ninty has at time struggled with.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic