Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Posts 261 to 280 of 637

MarioVillager92

@Grumblevolcano When I first played PM1 on the Wii VC, I got stuck in chapter 3 as well, the forest part to be more precise. I gave up on SS as well, though it was after world 2. I just couldn't handle it - I have my limits.

I know what you mean, the Switch has been my most played console these days, too. I found myself playing the Switch more than say, my PC, Wii U, and 3DS.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Tyranexx

@MarioLover92 Color Splash's writing was indeed fun and humorous at points. It was my first Paper Mario; though flawed, I did enjoy the game. The story/writing, characters, most paint mechanics, and Thing cards were my favorite points. The biggest issues I had with it were the battle system (While interesting at first, it ranged from bland to downright tedious after awhile), and a character who can undo your paint progress shows up partway through the game.

I've also heard complaints about the Roshambo Temples, but I didn't really bother with those.

Super Paper Mario (the other PM I've played so far) was better overall IMO.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

MarioVillager92

@Tyranexx That's good you liked Color Splash. From what I've heard, it did what SS did, but better. Maybe I'll give it a shot...once I see it for a good price.

And yeah, I liked SPM too. I like the story and how it mixes classic 2D Mario with the first two Paper Mario games' RPG elements.

I just got TOK from the eShop, too. Not expecting TTYD standards of course, so I'll likely enjoy my time with it.

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

Zeldafan79

Good to see at least some of you are trying to enjoy this new Paper Mario on it's own merits instead of the usual but it's not like TTYD so it's bad routine. That's all I've been hearing since every following game. Oh and to those people trashing sticker star thanks for almost making me miss out on a pretty good game. All the hate nearly made me ignore it but i took a chance and i don't regret it. Sure it's no TTYD but if you like that game so much then play that friggin game! It's still just as fun as ever and hasn't aged a day as far as i can tell!

Maybe it's high time for a remaster or better yet a paper mario collection!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

DenDen

Getting my copy today can’t wait!
I love the charm of the series, I’m not mad that’s not an rpg, I’m glad they stay creative and try again and again something new!
Im one of the few who really enjoyed sticker star,.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

TheAwesomeBowser

I'm excited, but I can't figure out why a site gave this, a finished game, a 7/10 yet gave BFBB Rehydrated, a 70% unfinished game, an 8/10. Most likely bait though

Untitled

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

Maxz

Definitely interested in hearing more opinions when this is out in the wild. Like Color Splash, it seems like a good game bogged down by its core battle mechanic, but the mechanic at least looks a little more interesting than the previous two entries.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

jump

TheAwesomeBowser wrote:

I'm excited, but I can't figure out why a site gave this, a finished game, a 7/10 yet gave BFBB Rehydrated, a 70% unfinished game, an 8/10. Most likely bait though

Untitled

Unless it's the exact same person reviewing the game which has similar tones and gameplay from the same time frame it's pointless comparing reviews scores. At the very least you should be reading the actual review for insight into the game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Dunno, I haven't even got the game yet ... ?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

-Juice-

“Since Paper Mario: Sticker Star, it’s no longer possible to modify Mario characters or to create original characters that touch on the Mario universe. That means that if we aren’t using Mario characters for bosses, we need to create original characters with designs that don’t involve the Mario universe at all, like we’ve done with Olly and the stationery bosses.
Whether a character becomes an all-time hit or not isn’t up to us on the development side; I think it’s more the case that characters that fans truly accept naturally end up that way. I hope that the origami siblings in Paper Mario: The Origami King will stay in players’ memories, even if they do only end up appearing in this title.” -Tanabe
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/paper...
Get this man and the rest of the higher ups at Nintendo away from this franchise, now.

I was thinking about getting TOK, but I refuse to support such obstinate refusals to listen to fans anymore. I’ve already experienced this with the Fallout franchise, which has pretty much fallen from grace after New Vegas was released.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

kkslider5552000

The reasoning given behind the new Paper Mario games is 1000 times worse than the actual new Paper Mario games. I just want to leave this alone, but then someone at Nintendo says the stupidest thing I've ever heard someone from Nintendo say to justify these new games.

I don't even want to get into the idea that the old Paper Mario games were somehow too complicated, when tons of kids' media nowadays is way more complex in some way, let alone any JRPG that isn't Paper Mario.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tyranexx

@MarioLover92 I'll give SS a shot if I ever find it for a ridiculously cheap price somewhere. If it's anything like how people reacted to Metroid: Other M, it'll be a flawed game with some fun elements in there.

For reference, I found Other M cheap & brand new online and really enjoyed my time with the game. Some of the complaints were valid, but they were overblown.

SPM's story was one of the best, if not the best Mario-related stories I've been privy to. Throw in some interesting mechanics, humorous writing and scenes (I absolutely love Francis's castle), a game that isn't afraid to be dark for a change, and some decent tracks, and there's a lot to love there.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

MarioVillager92

@Tyranexx I like the Metroid series, I've been thinking of giving Other M a shot too. From what I've heard, it's more linear than the other Metroid games and that Samus had a...questionable personality I guess. I'm glad you liked it as well.

Yeah try out SS, but only if you see it for a really low price. As much as I hate that game, I am glad I played it, in a way. We can learn quite a bit from what games screw up on, after all. And who knows, you might like it more than I did, considering you enjoyed Color Splash. Some people here even said they liked it themselves. More power to them - I just don't wanna play SS ever again. XD

link3710

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/paper...

So interestingly, we got confirmation that it is indeed officially banned to alter existing Mario character designs in any way, not just devs taking Miyamoto's word too seriously. So that also would confirm that we won't see remakes/remasters of PM, or TTYD since they break those rules signifcantly, and SPM would have to be altered the same way Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga was on its rerelease.

link3710

kkslider5552000

Y'know I just realized, you have a beautiful looking RPG series that has angered fans because its so arbitrarily different and a mediocre looking series that angered fans...well for other reasons but also because it is too samey.

Should Game Freak and Intelligence Systems like switch series here? Especially since we already have gorgeous Paper Mario assets, I'd kinda be down for a back to basics RPG from Paper Mario, and I'd be here for a weird, experimental Pokemon game with a weird aesthetic gimmick it jokes about. I'm not saying that should literally happen btw, switching developers would probably be a disaster in reality, but it is amazing that these two games are essentially a good counterpoint...to each other. Like they both made what I would've wanted the other to make in that regard.

That's not even to disparage either developer. This Paper Mario team could make a super interesting Pokemon game, and Game Freak, if actually give the time could understand the benefit of a classic RPG system and probably make something more solid than most of their own games.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

link3710

@kkslider5552000 I don't know that it's that simple. Pokemon keeps introducing great, beloved features and then canning them in the next installment instead of building on them. Paper Mario... Well, the gameplay isn't fun. Like I don't think them being experimental is the issue (SPM is great), it's that they stopped experimenting and got super samey on the worst gameplay the series has seen.

In fact, I'd say SS->CS->TOK appears to have innovated less than gen VI->VII->VIII from the trailers and reviews.

link3710

Budda

So, that's weird. Every retailer in and around my town haven't received any Paper Mario game. Has anyone else made this experience? I'm from Germany by the way. (I should have pre ordered it on amazon or something. I didn't expect that everyone is out of stock on release...)

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

jump

link3710 wrote:

Pokemon keeps introducing great, beloved features and then canning them in the next installment instead of building on them.

Beloved & great is too strong of a word imo, a lot of them are hit and miss but I do agree they aren't building them and are simply choosing to use them as that generations gimmick.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

1UP_MARIO

Untitled

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic