Posts 281 to 300 of 637

Anti-Matter

@1UP_MARIO
Aw, too bad.
No instruction manual or at least some tiny booklet. šŸ˜•
All the origami creatures are villains when you open the case LOL. šŸ˜†

Anti-Matter

link3710

@jump Okay fair, but stuff like following Pokemon, Inverse, Rotation and Triple battles, Horde battles (probably the biggest loss IMO), DexNav, Secret Bases (and more importantly async battles between players IMO), vs seeker, gym leader rematches, postgame areas and difficulty options are a features that would improve the gameplay experience but either adding more variety or more utility. Well, maybe not following Pokemon, but that is highly requested anyways.

link3710

toiletduck

Mine's just in! Hope to be able to pop in a few hours after work today.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Octane

-Juice- wrote:

ā€œSince Paper Mario: Sticker Star, itā€™s no longer possible to modify Mario characters or to create original characters that touch on the Mario universe. That means that if we arenā€™t using Mario characters for bosses, we need to create original characters with designs that donā€™t involve the Mario universe at all, like weā€™ve done with Olly and the stationery bosses.
Whether a character becomes an all-time hit or not isnā€™t up to us on the development side; I think itā€™s more the case that characters that fans truly accept naturally end up that way. I hope that the origami siblings in Paper Mario: The Origami King will stay in playersā€™ memories, even if they do only end up appearing in this title.ā€ -Tanabe
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/paper...
Get this man and the rest of the higher ups at Nintendo away from this franchise, now.

I was thinking about getting TOK, but I refuse to support such obstinate refusals to listen to fans anymore. Iā€™ve already experienced this with the Fallout franchise, which has pretty much fallen from grace after New Vegas was released.

What kind of law prevents them from creating new stuff?

Octane

Anti-Matter

@Octane
I'm confident enough to see Mario suddenly use some futuristic weapons with his side kick like Ratchet & Clank someday.
That will be very drastic change. šŸ˜†

Anti-Matter

jump

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Octane
I'm confident enough to see Mario suddenly use some futuristic weapons with his side kick like Ratchet & Clank someday.
That will be very drastic change. šŸ˜†

Why not just play Ratchet & Clank instead of wanting Mario to be Ratchet & Clank?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

link3710

@jump 99% sure that Anti-Matter's comment was meant as a joke about how protective they are about the Mario IP.

link3710

jump

link3710 wrote:

@jump 99% sure that Anti-Matter's comment was meant as a joke about how protective they are about the Mario IP.

I'm not sure, I've seen him go on about how he wants Mario to be like Ratchet & Clank a few times now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NintendoByNature

I'll be stopping by Walmart this afternoon in hopes of securing a copy. Wish me luck.

NintendoByNature

Anti-Matter

@jump
The difference is...
When Ratchet fell into bottomless pit, he screamed "AAAAAGHH...!!!"
While Mario screamed "HUAAAHAHAHA...!!!" šŸ˜‚

Let's see how dare Mario changes his looking.
We already know if Mario was confident enough to wear Wedding Dress and using Arm Cannon on his latest game.

Futuristic Mario sounds good to me if Nintendo ever dare to give him a drastic makeover.

Anti-Matter

BabyYoda71

So... how is it so far? What would you rank it from 1-10, 1 being worst and 10 being best?

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. Itā€™s off to work (from home) I go.

JaxonH

What Iā€™m about to say does not mean I donā€™t like this game. On the contrary, Iā€™ve been enjoying it so far (though, not as much as I expected, the reasons for which are multi-faceted and maybe something Iā€™ll get into in a later post). Nonetheless...

The Paper Mario director is a buffoon.

Taking and refusing to challenge Miyamotoā€˜s advice is the worst decision he ever made. Miamoto convinced him to destroy everything about the series that made it superior to Miamotoā€™s own creation. Whether it was done out of a secret jealousy and envy, or just poor judgement, I cannot say. But I do find it curious that Miyamoto convinced him to ditch original characters (even just designs) and story and RPG mechanics, everything that made fans love Thousand Year Door. And ever since taking that advice the series has been swimming in mediocrity. And Miamoto seems content with that, but the real question is why the director seems content with that.

Doing something new just for the sake of doing some thing new is the absolute worst design ethos a developer could possibly have. Thatā€™s why Miamotoā€™s recent games, like StarFox, have bombed with mass rejection from gamers. And yet that same design philosophy is put on a pedestal by the director of thIs series? Ever wonder why the MC scores have consistently floundered in the 70s ever since he took Miamotoā€™s life altering advice? Guess not.

And, you can still do something new WITHOUT changing the core constructs people love. There are plenty of things in paper Mario that have not changed. Heā€™s still Paper. He still uses a hammer. He still uses boots. There are still turn based battles. CLEARLY there are things that havenā€™t changed. And all people want or for a few more things to be added to that list that donā€™t change. Namely, unique characters/designs, story, turn based RPG battle system. Everything else, go wild, change it up, have at it. But those particular things seem to be taboo for this director. He refuses to utilize those aspects people want, all because Miyamoto convinced him he shouldnā€™t use them. What a clown.

It would be one thing if the game he makes rivals the previous games. If that was the case I think an argument could be made for his choices being the right decision, or at least justified. But when you fail to live up to the previous critical acclaim after 3 games spanning an entire decade, maybe itā€™s time to start questioning that advice. Maybe itā€™s time to start challenging your beliefs. Maybe itā€™s time to consider that Miyamoto doesnā€™t know what the **** heā€™s talking about.

That all being said, Iā€™m enjoying the game so far. But itā€™s not quite reaching the highs I expected. And thatā€™s not because it doesnā€™t follow a specific formula. Iā€™m down with whatever they want to create just so long as itā€™s good. I just... donā€™t think this game is as good as Iā€™d hoped. It feels like a solid 7.5/10 to me. Granted I havenā€™t played all that much, but thatā€™s my thoughts on the matter so far.

edit
And let me clarify a few of the issues I have with this game to help communicate exactly why I feel itā€™s not as good as it should be.

Coin Inflation
Iā€™m barely an hour into the game and Iā€™ve already got over 12,000 coins. Imagine how many coins youā€™ll get in a full playthrough. This is a problem for two reasons. The first is that it devalues the worth of a single coin. Tell me, Why should I bother plotting a path to the boss that traces out an extra coin when Iā€˜m gettin tens of thousands of coins per hour? It makes single coins absolutely worthless, and that in turn erodes the allure of single coins scattered throughout the world, even the allure of 10-coins. Even the allure of 100-coins (which is like, 1 coin out of getting 120 in an hour). Iā€™m not going to care about a single coin unless Iā€™m only getting like 10 coins in an hour. 1 coin would then represent 6 min of playtime. As it stands, 1 coin represents 0.3 seconds of playtime.

The second reason is, they donā€™t feel special. 10,000 coins starts losing meaning with that many zeros after getting them so quickly. Coins should be special and worth more. Coins should provide incentive to collect. Thereā€™s absolutely zero incentive to collect coins when youā€™re getting this many of them this quickly. The prices may balance that out, it doesnā€™t change the fact it devalues the incentive of collecting single coins or anything less than 100 at a time.

Battle Incentive
Thereā€™s just no incentive to battle. Coins are it. And that could work fine- itā€™s not that it couldnā€™t work if done right, but itā€™s just not done right. Because you are swimming in coins everywhere you turn, who cares about an extra 100 from a battle? Itā€™s just not special. Itā€™s not enough to make me want to go out of my way to battle and certainly not do it repeatedly. Which means battling is only alluring until it stops being fun. And Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s going to happen well before I reach the end of the game. If there was XP, even to level up the confetti bag, it would perhaps be enough to provide that nudge to want to keep battling. You donā€™t even need XP as long as there is proper incentive, even if that incentive is just the thrill of battle or requirement to progress, but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s going to hold for the duration of the game having now experienced it for myself.

Battles
I think the turn-based system is novel, but Iā€™m not sure I like it as much since you kinda take enemies out in one go. And whenever thereā€™s enough enemies you canā€™t do it in one turn, they always give you two turns in a row. In turn based games you often encounter enemies where it takes several back-and-forths to win. But here, they always give you enough moves to do everything in one go. If you do it right the enemy will never even get to attack. Ever. Iā€™ve now encountered battles where it does take back and forths. Two rows of winged goombas takes 2 turns of two goes each, and thatā€™s if you line up perfectly each time. That being said, even at an hour in, the puzzles are getting hard enough that Iā€™m not able to consistently line them up properly every single time. In at least one in four bottles Iā€™m not able to figure it out perfectly, so this complaint might not actually be valid. I just want to throw that out there because I am only an hour in and if Iā€™m already making mistakes to where the enemy gets to attack me back, and itā€™s only going to get harder from here on out, this might not actually be an issue. But I did want to mention it nonetheless, just in case.

Larger World
Ironically, as much as I love the huge spanning world, it doesnā€™t lend itself well to the slow travel speed of Paper Mario. It just feels like a chore when you want to get somewhere else. They really should have doubled his movement speed in this game to account for the larger areas. In older games like TTYD and SPM, you went through shorter areas so it was never really a problem. But here, it feels too slow for areas so large. You can buy drinks that make your movement speed increase for maybe 15 seconds but thatā€™s not really a solution. And you do get a skate later on, but you spent tons of time running around on foot, and I just think they should have increased the movement speed.

Collectibles
Frankly, theyā€™re boring. I donā€™t care about a loudspeaker collectible on a stand. They should have done really cool 3D models like in DKC Tropical Freeze, with special mini diorama models. What they have here just doesnā€™t impress me enough to make me really care about collecting them.

Text Speed
Why is it, in the year of our Lord 2020, we still have games that force slow text and donā€™t allow you to speed up or advance with a button press? Itā€™s archaic, shameful and aggravating to no end. I swear the director of this game is living in his own little bubble.

What I do like
The graphics. Game is gorgeous. Itā€™s a pleasure just playing the game and seeing how beautiful everything looks. And thatā€™s doubly true for handheld.

The writing. As always, The dialogue is witty, fun and engaging, and one of the main draws of the game itself.

The mechanics. Everything feels smooth and responsive, as it should. The clunk and ca-ching of stomping on enemies while earning a coin (even if itā€™s worthless, at least it sounds cool) is incredibly satisfying.

The toads. Finding them is addictive. Definitely one of the better mechanics theyā€™ve added to the series.

The audience. Great to see this make it back into the series. And I love how you can pay them for hints (even if youā€™ve got so many coins you could literally pay for hints in every single battle the rest of your life).

The accessories. Itā€™s basically badges (though having preallotted points each is worth and only activating within your point range would have added another strategy layer) and I love it.

The partners. I havenā€™t gotten far enough to get a partner yet but Iā€™ve seen them in plenty of gameplay Iā€™ve watched and I love them. I wish they did more and had unique moves in the world to solve puzzles, but theyā€™re welcome nonetheless.

Thousand fold arms. Itā€™s pretty cool actually. More so with split joycon than gyro in handheld but, itā€™s cool.

Difficulty. I was worried the game would be too easy but thatā€™s actually proving not to be the case. It feels pretty well-balanced for my skill level. I mean, it hasnā€™t been hard. But over a 15 minute time span my health had somehow whittled down into the 20s. That really felt reassuring. Because without challenge it stops being engaging.

Confetti. Itā€™s actually more fun to collect and use than I thought it would be.

Turn based battles. Yes, I know I had this on my list of negatives, but I kind of feel conflicted because I also kind of like the battles? I know, weird. But ya I do actually enjoy them. I just think without proper incentive theyā€™ll lose their luster sooner rather than later. Coins could have been a good incentive but it turns out coin inflation has killed the value of a 100-200 coin battle bonus.

Will update as I play more. These are just my thoughts so far.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@JaxonH
I appreciate the feedback, but you say you're barely an hour in?

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

I made sure today was the day I bought Bug Fables. Was gonna buy it at some point anyway, but I think I'm allowed to be a little petty by getting it specifically today.

Happy for everyone enjoying the new Paper Mario, but I'm out. Maybe I'll enjoy it in a couple of years when I've forgotten all the stupid excuses made for it (which again, are much worse than the game ever could be). I dunno. I mean, I liked Star Fox Zero, I never pretended it wasn't flawed and too focused on Star Fox 64 nostalgia.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

@kkslider5552000
I simply don't mind with whatever happened on Paper Mario.
As long the game is not broken, that will be fine for me.

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

Itā€™s not even remotely ā€œawfulā€. With awful being a 0/10 and masterpiece being 10/10, itā€™s at least a 7.5/10 from what Iā€™ve played so far. And to be perfectly honest itā€™s getting better as I go. It may end up an 8.5/10 by the time everything is said and done. I just edited my post to reflect the fact the battles do indeed force several back-and-forthā€™s as you progress. I just spent 3000 coins on a 1 of 4 rocks I need to progress, so it seems battling for coins might actually be necessary because there just arenā€™t enough of them otherwise to afford everything you need and want. I still got to go on a spending spree for accessories. So some of my complaints are being addressed.

Itā€™s not perfect but itā€™s hella fun. This is not a bad game by ANY stretch.

@rallydefault
Probably two hours in now.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

I've only got 1 paper Mario game under my belt( original) but I'm pretty content with the hour or so ive played thus far. It's a nice change of pace with the battle system. While EXP wouldve been nice,its also nice knowing I won't have to grind. The game is beautiful looking. Seems fun so far but ill see how it is as I progress.

NintendoByNature

Xyphon22

I haven't gotten it yet, but the way I'm viewing it is like a puzzle game. You may not HAVE to battle, but I want to in order to see if I can solve that puzzle. That may change after 100 battles, but we'll see.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

JaxonH

And another complaint addressed. There ARE 3D models! Models for collectibles, models for enemies, models for all the different origami things toads are disguised as found in the world. Not only that, but music and tons of other stuff too. But Iā€™m particularly pleased with the 3D models for origami characters.

edit
Also, I LOVE how finding Toads earns Toad points, which you can use to unlock artwork in the museum. Huge murals can cost up to five toed points while smaller concept art can cost as low as 1/3 point. It feels very rewarding going to the museum and using your toad points to unlock the artwork. And this is just extra incentive for finding toads on top of the fact they go back and run shops to sell you stuff and are added to the audience to help you in battle, not to mention the fact theyā€™re just fun to find.

Edited on by JaxonH

1UP_MARIO

@JaxonH you spent 3000 coins on a rock. I remember spending 10000 on a rock.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic