Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 8,741 to 8,760 of 15,822

jump

@Slowdive it veteran developers who were just hired to do it 5 mins ago ;p

As you’re very insistent on MP4’s development going strongly would you like to make a friendly wager on it? If it comes out on or before March 2022 I will donate €20 to a charity of your choice but if it doesn’t then you have to donate £20 to a charity of my choice.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

IceClimbers

With it restarting development completely in late 2018/early 2019, I never expected it until late 2022 at the very earliest.

That was before covid. With covid I wouldn't expect Metroid Prime 4 until late 2023 at the very earliest, and I don't expect them to show anything at all at E3 this year.

BotW2 and Bayo 3 on the other hand I absolutely believe we'll see at E3. That being said I could see them holding Bayo 3 for a September Direct or for the Game Awards simply because they can haha

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

MarioBrickLayer

@VoidofLight @Slowdive @jump No matter when MP4 comes out, what do you think the chances are that Retro Studios keep this team they have assembled together and move straight onto MP5? If I were Nintendo, that's what i'd be thinking.

MarioBrickLayer

NintendoByNature

I mean...to be fair, until mp4 is out, I wouldn't even considering tossing development teams into the mix for mp5, Imho of course.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

I'm predicting more melee combat in the same way that Samus Returns had.

NintendoByNature

kkslider5552000

Metroid Prime with a hint of Doom 2016 is exactly what I'm expecting Metroid Prime 4 to be tbh.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VoidofLight

@MarioBrickLayer I mean, it depends on if the game sells well, or is well received. A lot of members who worked on the original prime games left the company, so it's mostly a team of fresh developers.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Bolt_Strike

@Slowdive Tossing in veteran developers doesn't automatically make a game good, it needs a good concept to build around and the proper time to polish that concept. Perfect example of that going wrong is Balan Wonderworld, the game had Yuji Naka behind it, but because the game was built around a poor concept ("I want all the powerups") and was released long before it looked remotely good, it was a flop. Prime 4 will likely end up more like Balan or Sonic 06 if it just releases in 2 years, most AAA games nowadays take 3-5, and it could even take longer if further development troubles arise (God forbid). So yeah, don't expect it before 2022.

As for expectations, I don't think they'll pull a BotW and throw everything out the window, I think it'll be more like Mario Odyssey where they just take the base formula, build it into something bigger and better, and maybe eschew a few series traditions but nothing wildly outrageous.

As for some specifics I think/want, I think it'll remain a Metroidvania and won't go open world, but one of the big things they can do is embrace the sequence breaking people love about the older games and design it so that instead of having hard locks that force you to have a particular item in the game to progress, you can get around them with more advanced/clever tricks. This would create a sort of Mega Man dynamic where you could choose the route you would take through the game and depending on your choices certain sections would be easier or harder (unlike Mega Man though, there should be an intended route for casuals). This I think would be a good way to follow the open world trend while still remaining fairly traditional.

The other major thing I think they need to look into improving is sidequests. Simply hunting for expansions/logbook entries was great in 2002, but it's a bit shallow now. Implementing a formal sidequest system where Samus takes on side missions for the Federation involving things like finding a certain item, killing certain enemies, etc. would add a lot more depth and replay value to the gameplay. They could reward Samus with a currency of some sort which she could trade in for expansions, upgrades, customization options, etc.

Speaking of upgrades, we've had Beam Missile combos since Prime 1, and the beta for Prime 2 indicates cut Power Bomb combos. Maybe they could go further than that and let you combine elemental beams with any other weapon, Missiles, Bombs, Grapple Beam, Boost Ball, Screw Attack, and they can go from simply being alternate primary weapons to being a customizable elemental effect you can add to your arsenal.

Whatever they do, I think it'll be ambitious. The fact that they chose to restart development and are bringing in industry veteran after industry veteran to work on this game shows that they view this game as a major undertaking that they're taking seriously, so this may be one of the biggest games on the Switch in terms of size/scale/budget.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

Bolt_Strike wrote:

They could reward Samus with a currency of some sort

This isn't needed, and is probably counterintuitive to the type of exploration and progression that makes Metroid compelling.

It might be ok if specific types of exploration or some particular other type of clever, actually engaging content then lead to you like...finding a rare mineral to sell for an upgrade or something. But even then I'd argue it should try to be more like Metroid and less like every video game, because every video game needing a currency system is uncreative and boring (and arguably counter-intuitive to the environment and atmosphere of Metroid games, places that would usually not have a place to buy or sell things).

Bolt_Strike

@kkslider5552000 Well they could just reward you with the things you would buy directly, but I figure having a currency system is better because it allows you to choose what reward you want instead of having specific rewards tied to specific missions. The currency system just makes the most sense for this kind of mechanic, it's not as much a matter of copying what every other game is doing.

Also I don't think you're understanding, you're not selling anything to the Federation, the currency is a reward for completing side missions. Maybe some of the missions could involve hunting for rare items in the vein of that mineral example, but in general it's not really a traditional buy/sell merchant mechanic like most games. You complete a side mission, and you get paid for it in currency. Which actually fits the game's lore pretty well, as you have to imagine that as a bounty hunter the Federation is paying Samus for completing the missions in some way. Why not expand on that and turn it into an actual mechanic as a way to give Metroid more side content?

The things you could buy could probably just be downloaded to Samus' suit. Again, this fits the lore, we've seen in Metroid Fusion that Samus' suit is capable of downloading upgrades, several of the powerups in that game were provided by the Federation and downloaded in designated Data Rooms, so downloading expansions, upgrades, and customization options is not out of place for this series. You could potentially buy these from anywhere on the map, or at worst you might have to go back to Samus' ship to access the shop.

So I really don't see how any of this doesn't fit the lore, environment, or atmosphere of Metroid. That actually seems like a pretty sensible way to expand on the formula.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

jump

So Ninty are releasing 3 retail games in June now, they must have a lot ready to go now otherwise they woud have spread out these releases throughout the year.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Balta666

@Slowdive there is absolutely no way the game comes in less than one year from today most likely two years (unless the scope is for a buffet title which I don't believe it is).

I never played the prime games (altough I love the 2d ones) but I am currently playing jedi fallen order and that game for me is a pretty good 3d metroidvania so if they give me a few big worlds that you need to jump from whenever you have new powerups and I am happy

Balta666

@Slowdive well a 2d metroid is a fair bet as has been rumoured for a while now (and corroborated by insiders), trilogy who knows really as the port is apparantely done since 2018... MP4 news I don't know but I would go more on the like of unlikely this year as 2.5 years should not be enough to have gameplay to show and I believe Nintendo will refrain from showing it until we are 6-9months from release.

Edited on by Balta666

Giancarlothomaz

@Slowdive Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 coming in january 2022? this don't likely to happen, Zelda games always release on summer or during the holiday season(with the expection of Zelda Breath of the Wild), Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 seens more like to release Holiday 2021 or holiday 2022, given the pandemic and the franchise notorious historic delays.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Euler

@Giancarlothomaz While it's generally true that 3D Zeldas are released during holiday season or with new hardware, the sample size is pretty small (N=6) and there are abundant exceptions if we include other E-ticket franchises (Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash, Pokemon - remember that the biggest game of 2020 came out in March). January would be unusual though (it would be in the same window as the Pokemon Legends game and whatever they have planned for holiday 2022, assuming it isn't Zelda itself).

Edited on by Euler

Euler

kkslider5552000

My only guess is that Nintendo has a massive game beyond a Pokemon game in the Sinnoh region for the holiday season, and that Nintendo has a massive game beyond a Pokemon game in the Sinnoh region in the first 1/4 of 2022.

VoidofLight

This is why you never believe rumors. People believed these "Credible" sources who kept saying it was coming, when it was never in development to begin with. So even people who are credible can tell lies.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic