Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 6,701 to 6,720 of 15,933

GilbertXI

@Anti-Matter to be fair, Microsoft did attempt to cater to a younger audience, and they didn't fare to well critically and commercially.

Edited on by GilbertXI

GilbertXI

TheFrenchiestFry

@Dezzy It might be easier to do a native conversion but considering how often SE has been adamant about dodging the question of whether KH3 would run on Switch I find it highly unlikely that FFVII could be ported any more easily considering both its art direction and even its fidelity as is by PS4 game standards. It's legit one of the best looking games on the PS4 period both in terms of art direction and just graphically in general

FFXV was naturally at a disadvantage because the Luminous engine was already a hassle to work with by PS4/Xbox One standards and Hajime Tabata has already publicized their numerous attempts to try and get FFXV running to test out the feasibilty of such a port to no avail. That's probably why Pocket Edition HD is even a thing given the original intent of that version was to give lesser hardware a taste of the game despite their inability to handle the full experience

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Anti-Matter

@GilbertXI
I wish Microsoft just drop their ego and be kiddie like Nintendo did.
Be kiddie and be casual, just like Japanese peoples did.
Nothing wrong with that for Western company.
Disney games was the proof of family oriented games by Western company.
They did good job to cater kids and casual gamers like Nintendo.

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

@Dezzy FF7R is literally the only game not on switch that I want on switch lol. Hoping it happens.

NintendoByNature

Zuljaras

Anti-Matter wrote:

@GilbertXI
I wish Microsoft just drop their ego and be kiddie like Nintendo did.
Be kiddie and be casual, just like Japanese peoples did.
Nothing wrong with that for Western company.
Disney games was the proof of family oriented games by Western company.
They did good job to cater kids and casual gamers like Nintendo.

Actually Japanese people made some of the MOST amazing 18+ games for the western market.
And gaming nowadays is mostly for adults.

The kids get the mobile crap to keep them entertained swiping like crazy so mam and dad could get some piece of quiet!

Just be thankful that there are some kiddie games still being made for consoles.

I can't imagine a home console being ADVERTISED with one of those kiddie games. Won't happen.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Anti-Matter Actually I'm pretty sure Japanese audiences gravitate more naturally nowadays to more adult stuff which is why there's less of genres like platformers to begin with

It's why companies like Sony and Microsoft push the more story rich and narrative driven T-M rated stuff over their more child-oriented franchises like LittleBigPlanet or any of Rare's platformers for example. Even Nintendo has been pushing more teen and adult oriented content as of late with the Switch's strong emphasis on genres like RPGs, adventure and action games, while still having franchises like Mario that attract all audiences. It's also probably why SEGA is pushing stuff like Persona, Total War and Yakuza over stuff like Sonic these days

TheFrenchiestFry

GilbertXI

I'm sad that the 3D platformer genre is teetering on the edge of obscurity, with the exception of Mario, nowadays. It has been having a bit of a resurgence lately, but with the lukewarm reviews of Sackboy's adventure I've lost hope again.

GilbertXI

TheFrenchiestFry

@GilbertXI I have not read a single mediocre review of Sackboy. In fact I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much acclaim that game is getting that I might actually get it alongside Demon's Souls and Miles Morales when I eventually manage to get ahold of a PS5. Apparently the game is actually excellent

TheFrenchiestFry

Anti-Matter

@GilbertXI
PS2 was 3D platformer games paradise.
Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Chicken Little (and Ace in Action), PK Shadow, Kao the Kangaroo Round 2, Crash Twinsanity, Ruff Trigger, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Vexx, etc.
It was a good time for 3D platformer games.

Anti-Matter

GilbertXI

@TheFrenchiestFry by lukewarm I meant nothing super special. That's the general consensus I see from reviews. I'd also like to say that's not a bad thing necessarily, I just think I got over hyped.

GilbertXI

Dezzy

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

@Dezzy It might be easier to do a native conversion but considering how often SE has been adamant about dodging the question of whether KH3 would run on Switch I find it highly unlikely that FFVII could be ported any more easily considering both its art direction and even its fidelity as is by PS4 game standards. It's legit one of the best looking games on the PS4 period both in terms of art direction and just graphically in general

Yes, it would obviously suffer a major graphical downgrade to get it running on the Switch. But I still think it's a much more likely candidate for a port. Even more likely than KH3, for the simple reason that FF7R is an incredibly linear game. That makes it easier to optimize and adapt.
I mean you could even insert a whole bunch of new loading screens into the game without really changing the game too much. Whereas with an open-world like FFXV, that's just impossible. And KH3 may not be technically open-world but it did have some pretty huge open areas.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Guest88

@Anti-Matter Why should they? To appease people like you? They want to make money, not lose them. Stay with nintendo if you want family games.

Guest88

TheFrenchiestFry

@Dezzy FF7 may be a pretty linear game, especially in contrast with something like FFXV, but it also happens to be a really good looking linear game. Even KH3 is pretty linear imo. There's some wide traversal mechanics and obviously stuff like the gummi ships and the Toy Story world open the game up a little bit, but FF7 being linear I don't count as a factor to why a port wouldn't be possible, especially when you have stuff like Witcher and Divinity running on a Tegra X1

FFVII just looks more highly detailed to the point that any texture oddities or inconsistencies just stand out way more as you progress through the game, and the thought of having pretty much the entire game downscaled to that level I think has a greater chance of putting it out of consideration for a Switch version unless it's cloud streamed like what they're doing with Control and Hitman

It being linear would make it easier to fine tune and less taxing since there's less stuff to render at a time, but the density of the stuff that's already there, especially given how intense the presentation gets would probably require a greater compromise than it's worth. There's also the factor that Nintendo has not gotten a single mainline FF entry as it's released since I think FFVI when the series was still Nintendo-exclusive. The stock Sony purchased in Square definitely put them out from getting games like VII-XII back in the day but now there's other factors to consider as well like Square seeming like they're not even remotely interested in putting their big current gen heavy hitters on Switch and relegating the platform to their more budget releases like Trials of Mana and the new TWEWY game alongside the occassional Nintendo exclusive like Bravely or Octopath

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

GrailUK

Nintendo aren't kiddie. They are universal. And I think that's paramount. Wait...what am I talking about. Nintendo don't even make films...

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GilbertXI

In a perfect world, we might get both, but at the moment I think Kingdom Hearts 3 would be the most likely. I would much rather prefer FFVII remake over KH 3 for obvious reasons, but if 3 sells well, they might port story so far, which I would be first in line for.

GilbertXI

TheFrenchiestFry

@GilbertXI Square probably cackles endlessly whenever someone mentions "Kingdom Hearts" and "Switch" in the same sentence during business meetings like "We gave those losers a rhythm game that recapped the series for them! Why would they need our collections now?"

TheFrenchiestFry

Anti-Matter

Guest88 wrote:

@Anti-Matter Why should they? To appease people like you? They want to make money, not lose them. Stay with nintendo if you want family games.

Well, why not ?
Microsoft did their best from Kinect games on year 2010. Finally, casual and kiddie games by Microsoft.
Also, New Super Lucky's Tale was the best thing from Microsoft for XBOX ONE and other consoles. But too bad, i picked the Switch version if they made their game multi console release.
I do really wish they do same approach again like that on Series X as Microsoft still have their ego "I'm too cool to make kiddie games for Xbox machines".
Come on, nothing wrong being kiddie like Nintendo or Disney.

Anti-Matter

teo_o

@SM3DASislit well of course I hope I'm wrong! But the entire franchise has sold like 6 milion copies...
The entire franchise.

teo_o

teo_o

@SM3DASislit to put things in perspective, Metroid as a franchise has sold 18 milion copies overall, which is probably why after BOTW and Mario Odissey Nintendo scrapped Bandai's Metroid to give it to the hands of retro studios, which supposedly showed Nintendo a very interesting concept.
I always considered Samus a strong well done character, so I hope they can renovate the series to have the success it deserves.

Edited on by teo_o

teo_o

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic