Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 12,241 to 12,260 of 15,873

Grumblevolcano

@Mars_ Nah, I think it would be like Pokemon Black 2/White 2 (released for DS in the 3DS era) where it's a current Switch game that you can play on Switch 2. I don't think there'd be any Switch 2 exclusive 1st party games in the launch year as the successor itself would be a gigantic risk (Nintendo has nothing to fall back on if it fails).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mars_

Yep, as long as the next console has backwards compatibility like 3DS had with DS then it makes more sense to release WW/TP remasters as Switch titles. The new machine could render the games at 4K res, but they couldn't advertise it in the title because Switch cannot.

Mars_

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Interesting. You think they’ll just continue supporting the current Mario Kart instead of creating a new one that could showcase the power of the new machine?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Given MK8 Deluxe is basically approaching MK Ultimate status, I think they'll have MK8 Deluxe continuing to get retro tracks until pretty much all of them are in the game meanwhile a new MK goes in a very different direction which also showcases the power of the new machine as the new MK wouldn't really be able to compete content wise with MK8 Deluxe.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano But then why wait until new hardware is out to announce a second season? It’s not like any effort is being used to port these tracks over. And it’s not something you can easily advertise as the reason to upgrade even if it did 4K.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed What I had in mind was announcing more tracks are coming as the current pass approaches the end rather than specifically announcing with Switch 2. With Smash the September 2019 Direct announced Banjo's release date, Terry as the 4th fighter of the pass and that more fighters were coming after the pass was complete. So for more tracks, either at E3 2023 along with wave 5 announcement or in September 2023 Direct along with wave 6 announcement.

Grumblevolcano

Giancarlothomaz

@Magician for Switch sucessor to be a sucess, it need to have a completely new concept/inovation like AR/VR(dont continue the hybrid concept of Switch), have full backward compatibly with Switch games, have suficient graphical/techinal power so Switch sucessor so could have most of the PS4 games, have a reanoble price, have a stronge line up during it launch period

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano If 2024, I don't think we'll see Pokemon make the move to the next console until gen 10, sort of like how they did with the 3DS, where they didn't make the move until Gen 6.

I also assume that a new console in 2024 would more than likely get Mario Kart 9, rather than more 8 DLC.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Grumblevolcano

@VoidofLight I wasn't thinking any of the games I listed would be specifically Switch 2 games, rather Switch games that release during the launch year of the Switch 2 if it released in 2024. Switch has the same situation as PS4 where the userbase is so gigantic that releasing next gen only games early on is very risky.

Sony backtracked on Miles Morales, Sackboy, Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7 and GoW Ragnarok being PS5 exclusive to release PS4 versions at the same time as the PS5 versions. Now 2 years later, games sell much better on PS5 than PS4 so Sony's seemingly dropping PS4 support outside of live service.

Grumblevolcano

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano Eh, The ps5 only didn't have exclusives at launch because of the circumstances surrounding the supply of the console. Most people weren't getting the actual console in their hands, so they sort of had to neuter a lot of the PS5 exclusive titles by making PS4 versions in order to sell the games.

Also, Gen 9 isn't getting Gen 5 remakes. That's going to be Gen 10.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

westman98

Sony never intended for Miles Morales/Horizon/GT7/Ragnarok to be PS5 exclusives. They were announced first on PS5 to hype up the console prior to its release, but their PS4 counterparts were announced just a few months later.

westman98

Grumblevolcano

@VoidofLight That's why I said either, given the current pattern for Pokemon remakes follows the same pattern as the original releases it would be a Gen 2 remake in the style of Let's Go:

• Fire Red/Leaf Green (Gen 1 remakes)
  • Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Gen 2 remakes)
  • Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (Gen 3 remakes)
  • Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee (Gen 1 re-remakes)
  • Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (Gen 4 remakes)
  • Gen 2 re-remakes
  • Gen 5 remakes
    ...etc.

But ILCA are doing remakes now, not Game Freak so I could see them change it up and do Black/White remakes in the style of BDSP instead.

Grumblevolcano

chapuH

I personally would really like the Switch successor to be a home-only next-gen console, something approaching 4K graphics and smooth performance. It's something that Nintendo has never really focused on and thus would feel "new" (it'd also really enhance certain games' enjoyment).
Of course, Nintendo producing hardware similar to Sony or Microsoft is highly unlikely as they've never been focused on competition with them (especially the latter recently).

Hope you're having a good day.

Rambler

@westman98, @Magician
Backwards compatibility is definitely something I want.
I'm not au-fait with the PS / Xbox gen crossovers, but would it be feasible for Nintendo to release a Switch2 patch for Switch1 games to give them a graphic and performance boost?

You could have MK8D as some sort of software as a service of tracks, with an MK9 also there but taking it in a different direction.

Rambler

Bigmanfan

@chapuH Strongly agreed. As much as I love the handheld form, it is clearly not going to work with next gen games.

Bigmanfan

Bolt_Strike

@Grumblevolcano There's also the wild card that is the possibility of GB games coming to NSO. If (and likely when) that's announced, will Game Freak port the Gen 1 and 2 games to Switch? That might disincentivize them from doing a full remake of Gen 2 and focus on Gen 5 instead. I could easily see GSC NSO ports taking the place of the expected Gen 2 re-remakes and moving on to BW remakes.

As for next gen, I think they'll follow what Microsoft and Sony did in their last two console transition and what Nintendo did with the 3DS -> Switch. They'll have a year or two of cross gen releases and the new Switch will be BC, and then if the next Switch takes off they'll slowly phase out the OG Switch. That seems like the best way to gracefully transition to next gen without suddenly dumping their huge install base. The next gen Switch gets a handful of exclusives and/or optimized versions of new games and can play the Switch's entire back catalogue, but if you're reluctant to upgrade you can still get a healthy lineup of games for a bit before it becomes a necessity.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

westman98

@Bolt_Strike
Gen 2 will only ever get remade for Switch in the form of another Let's Go game, which I imagine will be treated entirely differently from a NSO GameBoy version of Pokemon Gold/Silver.

westman98

Grumblevolcano

Given how there's a load of potential N64 games left, I wouldn't be surprised if GB/GBC/GBA doesn't appear until the Switch's successor irrelevant of when it releases.

On a different note, Nintendo's being oddly quiet. I though they'd be going all out with FE Engage promotion by now.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic