Forums

Topic: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Posts 301 to 320 of 627

theWildLink

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Dezzy Don't think I've seen a demo that transfers save data to the main game perform differently from the main game so I'd guess this is the final resolution and framerate. I think it's probably that the rumoured new Switch revision for 2021 has this game being more stable so kind of like a Hyrule Warriors Legends type situation (comparing New 3DS to OG 3DS) but less extreme.

Save files should not affect the game's overall performance - while some save files do hold information on user's desired settings they do not affect game's framerate, etc. It's either badly optimized or Switch simply cannot handle so many things at once.

And releasing a game that would run better on an supposed upcoming console doesn't seem like a smart move to me. I'm sure the issue will be fixed and we'll all enjoy the game.

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Switch Friend Code: SW-1849-2485-4394

rallydefault

I bet they'll have a patch for it within the first week if not on the first day. Although not strictly first-party, this is a huge game for Nintendo and I'm sure they'll put resources into making it right going into the holiday season. This has the potential to be quite the seller for them, so a good review followed with headlines about the framerate and/or resolution being patched is probably what they're aiming for.

rallydefault

Dezzy

@rallydefault

I would certainly hope that's how they see it. But I dunno how they think of these things internally. Maybe they care a lot less when it's a second party developer. Besides, BotW was the core launch game and the success of the console was quite heavily resting on it, so it's understandable why they had lots of performance patches for that.
Other big games haven't had them though. Neither of the Xenoblade games got patches to improve the incredibly dubious resolution. Three Houses never got one to fix the framerate issues in the hub area. Link's Awakening didn't get one to fix the framerate (as far as I know)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

dionysos283

I just tried the demo, but honestly I didn't enjoy it much. Running across a battle field and button smashing through hordes of enemies gets old pretty quickly; especially when it's always the same enemies. I quit during the second mission. Am I missing something here?

dionysos283

dionysos283

The cut scenes also didn't impress me much. Most of the story seems to be explained through text boxes again. Pretty much the opposite of what I was hoping for.

dionysos283

roy130390

@dionysos283 How about not doing button smashing? I don't mean to be offensive by saying that, it's just that part of the fun in some genres like fighting and hack n' slash games is to dominate your character and be effective using him/her and doing exactly what you want with their tools at disposal. If you find the difficulty too easy try changing it to a higher one, although I did perceive this game with more challenge than previous games. It seems that mindless button smashing might not work that well in future missions.

About the enemy variety well as you said it's the second mission. It's normal that they don't have that many at that point and they are also limited by the BOTW universe. I counted 5 types of enemies to that point with different weapons (not counting the guardian) so personally I don't see it that limited.

Then again, the game might not be for you and that's perfectly acceptable. Personally I'm not a fan of Musou games but I enjoyed this demo quite a lot since it added difficulty and the characters feel more versatile and unique.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

dionysos283

@roy130390
Thanks for your reply!
I'm not sure how not to button smash, when the only attacks you can do continuously come from different combinations of Y and X? I use the other attacks too, but since they have recharge times, I see no other way to play this game other than smashing Y and X all the time? How do you play the game then?

I know that BotW didn't have many enemy types, but BotW's gameplay was also not completely based on combat. They should have added more variety, imo.

Then again, maybe you're right. Maybe this game isn't for me and that's perfectly fine. But I was expecting a little more, especially in the story department. The cutscenes are just not good.

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

Eel

Take your time to experiment with the YX combos and see the effects of each attack.

You'll find that different moves have different things they're good for, like short ranged quick moves that are good for weakness gauges or close quarters combat, and big moves that can help clear out large amounts of weaker enemies.

You can make it look at bit more elegant. At the very least.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JoyBoy

Not sure. I only played 1 Mousou, but this game seems to have a lot more variety thanks to the tablet (forgot the name) abilities.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

roy130390

@dionysos283 No problem mate. The way I do it, I'm always planning which combo or basic attack I want. For example, if I want to reach the center of an enemy group I press "Y" twice and then "X" since that will allow me to do shield surfing to open a path faster. I usually have the "A" attack charged when I do that so that I can take most of the group in one attack. If a few enemies a stay alive they should be a bit far since I just killed everyone near with that last attack, so I take out my bow to end the ones remaining. So for me, it's always a matter of wich combo is working more in which situation without doing moves that aren't necessary. "Y,Y,X" is different from "Y,Y,Y,X which for example is only a simple sword combination that ends up with a sword spin, which I actually rarely use since I prefer to do the sword spin manually by charging the "X" button. "X, Y" for example makes an ascending sword slash that will allow you to glide a bit or do an aerial combo which is effective for heavy damage against one target.

Now, when it comes to runes, keep always in mind the charging times and that big enemies have a certain weakness against a certain rune so that you trigger their weak point, like the Noblins that run towards you with lances being weak to cryosis. Other than that, I love to simply combine their use however I want for variety and functionality. For example, if you are fast enough, with the bomb rune you can take advantage of the 4 thrown bombs to eliminate most enemies in large groups or smaller groups with a bit of distance between themselves.

I personally hate when my character swings at nothing or does nonsensical actions, so I tend to try to look as "cinematic" as I can haha. It's a personal challenge and most people might not care about that, but it works in making combat of almost every game more thrilling for me. It specially works great with this game. This also includes perfecting evading and shield use as well as fast counterattacks which are triggered by evading when you are about to get hit. I really hope that this makes your experience a bit more enjoyable. Feel free to tell me if it helped or if it didn't do anything for you.

Oh, also keep in mind that you need to obtain certain combos by exchanging items in certain icons if the map. I'm certain that there will be more options later.

Edited on by roy130390

dionysos283

@roy130390
Thanks for the explanation! I really appreciate it!
But from only reading the description of your play style I realize how this game is just not for me. I don't even feel the slightest urge to go back and try your strategy. I never played a Warriors game before, so I was hopeful it would be my thing; especially since BotW is my favorite game of all times. But not even the story aspects engage me.

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

roy130390

@dionysos283 I understand. BOTW is certainly amazing I didn't have a Switch until this year so I was able to play it just recently, but it became my favorite Zelda game quite fast. Windwaker was the only Zelda that engaged me without having to force myself a bit until BOTW.

faint

@Dezzy Very high. Every warriors game I’ve played on other modern systems has had a huge day 1 patch.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Dezzy

@faint

Did the Switch version of Hyrule Warriors have a patch? But that had already been out on the Wii U for several years.

faint

@Dezzy The Switch version didn’t need it. All the work to stabilize was carried over from the wiiu

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

rallydefault

@Dezzy
Yea, I don't think they ever patched the framerate for LA, but I definitely don't view that as pervasive as the framerate issues seem to be in this game. I played through LA without much of a problem with the frames, but I can't even get through this demo without the framerate scratching at me a bit (they are VERY different genres, too - this one is way more important for a smooth framerate). This is only the demo, but I would imagine the battlefields get more complex and chaotic as the game progresses, so framerate will probably remain an issue throughout.

I will be very, very shocked if there isn't some kind of patch or acknowledgment of the issues during launch week.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

toiletduck

Glad this one came with a demo. I was able to conclude rather quickly that this is nothing for me. Too bad, since I would have liked to experience the story.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Ralizah

The handheld resolution on Hyrule Warriors DE annoys me more than any of the performance issues with Age of Calamity, honestly. AoC's issues just feel like good, old-fashioned hardware limitations (combined with K-T's terrible optimization on pretty much every platform they release games on), which is a bullet you frequently have to bite if you're a Switch gamer.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

rallydefault wrote:

This is only the demo, but I would imagine the battlefields get more complex and chaotic as the game progresses, so framerate will probably remain an issue throughout.

Luckily they mostly don't. That first level is probably as advanced as it gets. Especially given all of the grass. There's not gonna be a level with more grass than that.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic