Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Posts 201 to 220 of 588

VoidofLight

@DomGC Nah, not really. I didn't do all of the side quests though, but I did a bunch of dens and managed to get my stables full.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Ralizah

I hate the way the right stick handles. Makes it harder to control the camera in a satisfying manner. Definitely go into settings and set the speed to max, though. That helps a lot on its own.

Combat... eh. I still don't like the r/p/s combat system.

This game definitely benefits from its gorgeous presentation.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah I thought the camera was way too responsive. Something felt off.

Octane

Snatcher

@Ralizah I agree with you on the camera, bc Even when I sped it up it still moving odd.

Look I want you to be honest with me. You said you don't like the combat and alot of people have said this as well, Can you tell me why? I want to have insight as yo why people don't like the combat and I don't really get it.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

roy130390

I find the combat much more enticing and fun than in the average turn based RPG. It's also great that it lets you speed up or even skip animations like in the original, and even better that it lets you to instantly finish fodder battles.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Snatcher

@roy130390 Well I liked that to, its why I wonder what is really the reason for people hating it.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

roy130390

@Snatcher The way I see it there's not much point in them explaining why they don't like it more as it can be easily resumed in "different strokes for different folks". Things about the gameplay that we may see as pros can be cons for them and viceversa. Either way, the gameplay won't (fortunately for me) change anytime soon so there isn't much that can be done.

In my case I'm just happy to have a turn based RPG that actually makes me to put a bit of attention an effort on combat. Aside from the Etryan Odyssey games, I usually find the gameplay of most of these games dull (classic Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest, Pokémon single player story mode, etc) and usually just stick with them for the story (or in Pokemon to tackle PvP later), so it's a nice thing to actually enjoy the Gameplay for a change.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Snatcher

@roy130390 Ya I side with you on that, I really love the combat and if only I knew that monsters had patterns when I played it the first time on the 3ds, I'm doing a re play through and I know I'm going to have a much better time, this time around. I also need to play the rest of this demo, been busy with other games.

VoidofLight

The only thing I don't like about the camera is that it functions just like the one in the first game, which had limited camera controls due to being on the 3Ds. It feels like you have to fight it in order to get a better angle of things, since it constantly shifts with player movement.

Ralizah

@Snatcher I don't like the boom-or-bust nature of head-to-head encounters. It's boring to recognize a pattern and continually render your opponent ineffective. And I don't really like having to remember what order an enemy attacks in, because their attack types don't seem to be connected to their body language at all.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Tyranexx

Oof. Head-to-head encounters are still in? They aren't button-mashers this time at least? That was my only major problem with combat in the first game.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

VoidofLight

@Tyranexx They're still button-mashers. At least, I believe one of them is. I only got the headbutt ones, and not the others, so I can't say for certain if the others are any different.

I honestly never minded them, but I can see how some people probably saw them as boring, or bad.

Snatcher

@Ralizah Thanks for your opinion on the matter.

@Tyranexx I thought there was button masher's?

Joeynator3000

Tyranexx wrote:

Oof. Head-to-head encounters are still in? They aren't button-mashers this time at least? That was my only major problem with combat in the first game.

Eh, the only one that bothered me was Breath Blast, then again that was before I figured out that my circle pad was crapping out on me.

Even with a fixed circle pad, though...I still hate it. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

VoidofLight

@Joeynator3000 I feel like Breath Blast will probably be better in this one, seeing as there's no more circle pad.

Joeynator3000

@VoidofLight Yeah but...now you have to watch out for the drift issue, which CAN affect pro controllers, it's rare, but my old pro controller finally got it. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

VoidofLight

@Joeynator3000 That's true. Drift is going to make it a pain to deal with.. thanks Nintendo.

JaxonH

I never worry about drift. I use my controllers however I need. If it happens it happens. I'll replace it. But I'm not gonna modify my playing habits out of fear of what "may potentially happen". By doing that you've already lost.

Started the demo and right off the bat I'm impressed with the quality of the game. They really went all in on this one and I love it.

It's also interesting to note the unlocked frame rates of both MH Stories 2 and Neo: TWEWY. Could just be random chance, but... I can't help but wonder if it's by design, if a new model Switch is releasing in a few months. Especially because Neo: TWEWY seems to be 1080p, when they could have dropped res to 900p or even 720p and capped the framerate. Seems like something you'd do if you designed the game around a new model that's right around the corner. Or, maybe it's just how they designed it. Who knows. Food for thought, at least.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
I wasn’t making any judgements about it being an issue in either game (although I would agree with your assessment), more so an observation about the potential reasoning behind that particular choice.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic