Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

Posts 221 to 240 of 588

Tyranexx

@VoidofLight, @Snatcher, @DomGC, @Joeynator3000 Breath Blast was the move I absolutely hated in head-to-heads. I would just sit through the animation for that one because I really didn't like rotating my circle pad that quickly. As for the others, while I'd usually do the moves like alternating between L/R or pressing A, the rapidity of doing so made me cringe. I'm very wary of too much button spam on handheld devices since everything is mounted to the unit. And I was still haunted by all the stories about circle pad death from avid Smash 3DS players.

This isn't as much of an issue with MHS2 since I have a normal Switch and could change controllers if that becomes a problem. But I still feel like head-to-heads didn't add much to combat and honestly think the game would be better off without them. This isn't a deal breaker, but I was hoping it was something we wouldn't see again.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Snatcher

@Tyranexx Oh my god, I don't think I can replay the first stories game then. Damn it!.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Snatcher

@JaxonH R.I.P switch lite players.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

I’m very much alive!

Tyranexx

@Snatcher There is a mobile version you could try if that's your cup of tea, though I haven't played it. From what I've heard it's pretty much the same game, just retooled for a touch screen. I believe there's a demo as well.

Honestly, head-to-heads are just a small part of the game and don't trigger constantly; it seemed pretty random to me. But how you perform in them can turn how you're doing in combat around. My dislike, besides how relevant head-to-heads are, stems from babying my devices a bit for longevity.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

Snatcher

@Tyranexx Well I own it on my 3ds already, But about a year after I beat it my 3ds L and R sticks just gave out, well the R stick did, I ended up breaking the L one wile trying to fix R, that couldn't even be fixed. Sigh maybe I just try and play it anyway if it really doesn't ruin game play.

I’m very much alive!

Tyranexx

@Snatcher You can certainly get by without participating in the QTEs; I mostly ignored them near the end of my playthrough. It'll just make some battles harder since your monster will be taking some avoidable yet gimmicky damage.

Snatcher

@Tyranexx Ok thanks for the heads up.

I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

As a long time Monster Hunter player, I appreciate how learning a monster’s tells has been integrated into the gameplay. It’s the crux of the combat in the mainline series, so it’s nice seeing it translated into Stories spin-off series.

I also like how certain monsties have specific traversal abilities. It provides a layer of necessary strategy when choosing monsties.

I also really love the more light hearted, humorous side to the game. All the monsters are adorable, especially Kulu Ya-ku. Couldn’t help but scream “Bird Up!” When I encountered him.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

VoidofLight

@JaxonH I mean, NEO: The World Ends With You is coming to PS4 as well, so that's why it's unlocked for that game. Monster Hunter Stories 2 is coming to PC on launch as well, which is the reason for that game. They're just porting the game over to the more powerful hardware, and developing them both in one go, hence why it's unlocked all across the board. Doubt this means a more powerful switch is coming this year.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

@JaxonH Ah, so you to have watch something about Monster hunter as well.

I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@VoidofLight
I don’t think that has anything to do with it. Plenty of games get ported from other systems and have a cap on switch. Just because a game is releasing on another platform doesn’t mean they can’t cap it on Switch.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

VoidofLight

@JaxonH But generally said ports don't release on day one, both on switch and on the other consoles, as well as being developed for the switch in mind.

for example, most of the ports the switch gets, they generally are either their own separate version made for switch, which either release the same day as the other versions, or months down the line.

NEO: The World Ends with You was made for both the Switch and PS4 at the same time, but with the switch in mind, so it would explain as to why they'd uncap the framerate.

Monster Hunter Stories 2 was made for the Switch in mind, but is getting a PC port, which comes out the same day, which would also explain it. I highly doubt it's a new switch model.

roy130390

JaxonH wrote:

As a long time Monster Hunter player, I appreciate how learning a monster’s tells has been integrated into the gameplay. It’s the crux of the combat in the mainline series, so it’s nice seeing it translated into Stories spin-off series.

I also like how certain monsties have specific traversal abilities. It provides a layer of necessary strategy when choosing monsties.

I also really love the more light hearted, humorous side to the game. All the monsters are adorable, especially Kulu Ya-ku. Couldn’t help but scream “Bird Up!” When I encountered him.

This.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

JaxonH

@VoidofLight
Capping Framerate is as simple as putting a limit on it. All PC games have the option. Releasing on other platforms has nothing to do with anything. If they left it uncapped it’s because they wanted it uncapped for one reason or another, irrespective of other versions. Even the PC version of MH Stories 2 will have a cap, guaranteed. It’ll be 60 or 120, but it will have the option to be capped. Capping one version has absolutely zero bearing on other versions.

And there are plenty of examples of games releasing day and date on Switch that are capped. In fact, it’s very rare that’s not the case. Which is why it’s so suspicious that all of a sudden we see two games that don’t, right around the time we’re expecting a new revision.

Maybe that’s just coincidence and it means absolutely nothing. The full games may release and actually have one, too. That’s always a possibility. But it’s definitely by choice, and not some side effect from other versions.

Edited on by JaxonH

VoidofLight

The enraged mechanic in fights is a nice thing. Generally, I think the monstie goes for the attack they're weak against. Like Anjanath goes for Power attacks when enraged, when they normally perform speed attacks.

Snatcher

@DomGC I base it off of what I monster attacks are in MH games, Narg uses technical attack's for sure, And so on. Its how I do it.

I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

I kind of regret saving at the end of the demo, since I found out that there’s quite a but of optional content I skipped over, and now I can’t really go back..

mr_somewhere

I really enjoyed the demo, I wasn't too impressed with the battle system at first but the Anjanath boss fight really sold me on it. If they can keep up that intensity going forward it should be a lot of fun. I do like how they seem to change attack type tendency depending on their status which keeps you on your toes. It seems like a grower. I would also recommend the Japanese dub as Navirou, if you can take the high pitched voice, is much less annoying. From what I can catch of the language he makes much fewer terrible puns and is a bit more straightforward in the original language.

I find the uncapped framerate a little bit irritating it's giving me flashbacks to Deadly Premonition 2 but of course it's nowhere near as bad as that! I wish they had just set it concretely at 30.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

roy130390

@mr_somewhere The first one did have more intense battles the more you advanced so I expect the same.

@DomGC There's indicators for certain upcoming attacks like the Pukei-Peikei acumulating venom. I think that if normal attacks had indicators of what type they'll use it would be way too easy. The point of the gameplay is to learn patterns during their normal and altered fase.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Snatcher

@DomGC Oh ok my bad, In that case I would have to agree. but @roy130390 makes a good point, the game would be to easy if that was the case, and I know it got much harder as the game went on, but it was nothing a new slab of armor couldn't fix.

@VoidofLight I knew I should have said something about it in here, I'm sorry man, but can you use the auto save like DomGC said?

I’m very much alive!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic