Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 4,121 to 4,140 of 4,706

Joeynator3000

Yup, Shogun is also a pain, these crabs got a nice upgrade this generation. Now if only Shen would return.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

TeeJay

I find the crabs actually somewhat less annoying to deal with this gen. I've always disliked fighting them but in Sunbreak we're so mobile now that dealing with their garbage isn't too bad.

Though Shogun did almost cart me once by inflicting bleed on me and then chasing me relentlessly when I tried to crouch to heal, which was pretty intense, haha.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Joeynator3000

I only found Shogun to be somewhat annoying back then, the only other times the crabs were an actual threat were the deviants. So yeah, for me they're a challenge. Probably not as much as the deviants though, lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Pizzamorg

Weirdly I did Shogun with a friend and didn't cart - even when laughter gripped me in place after I saw what was under the shell - but I did the MR3 follower version, carted once and came close to carting again a few more times. The Followers don't seem to draw any agro at all, so when he made me bleed and I tried to get away, I was avoiding his attacks but building the bleed meter and then eventually one landed and killed me.

Honestly, the shift into MR3 is seeing the difficulty really starting to spike for me. We went from clearing three monster quests in under 15 minutes, to taking almost 20 minutes to take down a single Barrioth. I didn't cart at all when clearing all the MR1/2 quests, but Garangolm hit me with like a four hit combo that also paralysed me or stunned me (can't remember which) and that was my first cart in Sunbreak. I think now I know that move is in their bag, I can have a wire bug ready and not fall for that combo again, but I just couldn't get away here.

Then my second cart was against the Somnacanth Deviant or Quirio or whatever they are calling it now. I feel like I have less of a clear learn from this cart, it basically just spammed a bunch of multi hit attacks back to back, I guess I was too greedy and caught too many and died. Overall though, since this one can't put you to sleep or stun you or any of the other stuff, I think this is easier than the regular MR Somnacanth overall. I thought the same with the new Bishaten, since it can't poison or paralyse you or whatever else, I'd say it was easier than the regular MR Bishaten.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
While I don't think the next Switch will get every game, I do think it'll get far more than Switch has, and Switch is getting quite a bit at the moment.

I expect the next Switch to be roughly on par with the Deck. Seems about right for a generational leap. The thing is, we keep approaching diminishing returns. So every gen it gets easier for a handheld to run every console game. It's why Deck can handheld virtually every game on Steam. The gap in power isn't the defining characteristic by itself, but rather the gap in power and the ever decreasing power needed to run a game. Switch 2 could have the same power gap behind PS5 as Switch has behind PS4, and yet could run twice as many games, thanks to diminishing returns.

While there will always be some games devs feel just don't have a market on Switch, if you look at the games Switch has gotten or is getting, cloud included, and then add in all the other, newer titles that would clearly come to the system if they could run... and then on top of it add in the additional support that simply comples from success and more time passing... I believe that will result in the next Switch being fairly equal in terms of multiplat releases. Confidence 3rd party games will sell is the biggest driver. Having a system that can handle them is the only barrier.

I do think Capcom likes the current model, but I also think it's a model born from necessity. If Switch 2 could run the next Monster Hunter, then they could capitalize by selling it on an additional system. And that would mean the next portable MH wouldn't seem "scaled down" by comparison, which would mean being able to sell it on other consoles.

Who knows. Maybe things will stay as they are indefinitely. But I do think it's a possibility.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'm not deeply possessed of knowledge about the architecture and construction of the Deck, but is there even room to shrink the Deck down significantly to a smaller form factor? Moreover, hasn't Valve said they're taking a hit with the $400 model? And the battery life, too. It's probably not where Nintendo would like it for their next major console, and battery life limitations are another factor constraining Nintendo's ability to turn the success into a beast.

I feel like the Deck has approached the limits of where current technology can go with the handheld form factor without just turning it into a laptop, and even that is still pretty big.

All that is to say that I'd be surprised if the next Nintendo console is similar in power to the Deck. I understand there are advances in technologies that can be used to help bridge the gap a bit, but the Deck is pretty modern technologically as is, right?

Valve doesn't need to consider everything Nintendo does, since they're selling a niche luxury item to enthusiasts, so they can afford to create an obnoxiously large device. But Nintendo won't want something that's much larger and heavier than the current Switch is, I imagine.

That, of course, doesn't sound amazing for the potential of expanded third-party support, but that's only if you factor in modern AAA stuff. Switch 2, I expect, will enjoy a number of eighth-gen ports of games it was far too weak to run at the time in addition to the usual AA support the current one enjoys. Ultimately, though, it's the exclusives and especially first-party games that push Nintendo hardware. Nobody will buy a Switch 2 expecting to be able to play GTA VI, Dead Space, or the like.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
That's because they're using x86 PC architecture and brute forcing it into a handheld form factor for Steam compatibility. Nintendo Switch is using ARM, which is designed for mobile with cheaper cost, less heat, etc.

The Orin chip is capable of base PS4 level performance in a handheld the size of Switch. And that is the chip Koppite (the most renowned and trusted Nvidia leaker) revealed was being taped out for Nintendo.

And that's really where all the difference comes from. It's why GPD Win 2 was roughly on par with Switch in terms of power, but cost 2-3X as much and got so hot you could scramble eggs on the back plate.

Mobile chips allow for low cost, high efficiency handhelds designed with bespoke architecture. PC gaming requires compatibility with desktop PCs which means it's going to cost way more, generate way more heat and take up more space.

It's why PC based handhelds haven't really started catching on until now. Otherwise, if you could make PC based handhelds in the same form factor with the same heat output with the same cost, we would have seen them start taking off a long time ago.

Not to mention, utilizing Nvidia tensor cores for DLSS could even mean a handheld in Switch form factor that notably exceeds the performance of Deck, which isn't pushing more than 720p - 1080p when docked. Yet the next Switch could do the same, then leverage DLSS to output at 4k. I would be absolutely shocked if the next Switch didn't match Deck in performance and exceed it when docked. At least in terms of resolution. And, technology keeps marching forward. By the time Switch 2 releases, Deck will be at least 2 yrs old, maybe 3. That's half a generation of tech improving and cost coming down.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Ralizah
GTA VI, Dead Space

People don't have to expect it, but that doesn't mean it won't inevitably happen anyways.

Ulysses

Okay I love Elgado. It's so cozy, like a small European village on the coast, with the little blue cottages and a small castle to boot.

The music is amazing in Sunbreak! All new tracks for menus, quest clears, and the like add so much to the experience! The quest clear music is giving me Jurassic Park vibes, which is so fun. I LOVE the new little loading screen artwork, and it's a nice touch that it crawls horizontally instead of Kamura's vertical crawl.

I actually love starting off with lesser monsters before jumping into the new content. It feels like quintessential Monster Hunter joining up in a lobby with a full party of hunters and clearing the smaller quests at the beginning of a new game/content launch.

I'm online right now if anyone wants to join up in a lobby!

EDIT: nvm, had to get off early

Ahhh Sunbreak is so good!! The production value once again is off the charts, and Jungle is honestly amazing and my favorite map now. It's just so gorgeous and I recognize all the classic areas. I just can't. I love that Capcom is remaking the older maps. I'm really hoping Forest and Hills gets a proper remake for whatever game releases during MH's 20th anniversary!

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

Can someone please explain to me how to use the Marionette Spider properly?

I throw it on the monster, it makes a web line. But then... nothing. Can't yank them into any walls. The line just breaks. I don't get it.

@Ulysses
Right there with ya. The game is incredible!

Elgado is every bit as good as Kamura, but it feels even better after spending 600 hrs in a JP themed village. I love the mini train, and the baby owl you can pet... and it's once again small enough to get around easily unlike Astera.

Just finishing my final MR1 quest, and then it's off to MR2. I have to go to Indiana again on Tue (work emergency) but thank goodness I have MH Rise Sunbreak and Portal 1/2 to accompany me this time.

TrueFantasia

@JaxonH After the web line is attached to the monster, press the Y button again to pull the monster towards you. You can also hold ZL and use the right stick to aim where you pull.

TrueFantasia

JaxonH

Switched back to Great Sword now that I crafted a giant crab pincer great sword. I'd committed to using and learning a new weapon for Sunbreak but thus far had still been using SwitchAxe.

I'm actually surprised how well I'm doing with GS. All that practice in Rise with it this past month really paid off. Still not as efficient with it, but that'll come in time. It's super satisfying nailing those charge attacks and a well timed True Charge Slash.

Though I did disable damage numbers for Sunbreak. They were nice for a change but, I was craving that old school experience.

@TrueFantasia
Thank you.

I actually just figured it out after posting. It's easy once you know what to do. I had been misled hearing some article mentioning how you "roll away" or "wiredash away" to yank them. Which wasn't correct.

I love this spider.

Joeynator3000

Yeah the new spider confused me too at first, I thought I heard somewhere that you had to dodge roll to yank it. It's Y, lol. I also think you have to attach it to the front of the monster, if you do it from the side you just cause the monster to topple over instead. (it happened to me anyways)

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Pizzamorg

I am up to MR4 now. The difficulty really remains a mixed bag for me. I spent over 20 minutes doing the MR4 Rathalos Follower quest, carted once, felt like I had done a battle for the ages and got a "Smallest Size Updated" notification at the end. Absolutely spat in my face lol.

It is weird, but it just feels like the balance is absolutely all over the place. I have to imagine if you are using a weapon with a shield, or a ranged weapon or a weapon with a heavy counter focus you're probably going to have a very different experience to other people who don't have those things.

To ramp up the difficulty in MR3/4 it just very much feels like they just put the monsters on fast forwards, so they squeeze extra combos, for an all out spam fest. And as they are faster/more aggressive, almost every status effect is just a delayed cart.

Most of my carts are greed, but it is a greed of weird necessity. I feel like I am taking so much damage just trying to find windows to attack. Often by the time a window opens, I have already taken so much damage getting to that point, I have to make a choice between using that window to heal or to do any actual damage at all.

I personally don't like this pace at all, I guess this makes it more in line with previous games, but I just think the monsters set such a tedious pace. There feels like there is so much downtime in every fight, which just wasn't present in base Rise. I feel like I spend so much of Sunbreak just standing there as I wait for the monster to finish it's spam and it becomes my turn to attack. It is the slow, eggshell, gameplay of a Souls game.

It also creates weird rubber banding in the opposite direction, though, too. Nargacuga was one of my roadblocks in Rise, but in MR he feels way easier than almost anything else at MR3 because they just hit hard and move fast. There are no status effects you need to deal with, or some kind of anti-melee aura they can activate, it is just a straight fight. It is still really challenging, but it's the fun kind of challenging for me that base Rise delivered. It is an all out battle, with no downtime. You never need to run away to put out some sort of ailment or whatever, and you never need to facetank huge amounts of damage just do damage, in the way you need to do with many others.

This also made the second Lord almost feel like an anti-climax too, because while they do have the ice ailment, in the grand scheme of them all, this is one I can happily take and so since it was a fight just of straight damage for the most part, this went down way easier than a lot of the stuff that I had to fight on the way to it. I shouldn't feel like I'd rather fight a new flagship rather than say a Rathalos because it'll be a more fun challenge, that seems all kind of busted to me.

Ulysses

Had a blast hunting today with Wynn! I actually forget your NintendoLife account name, or else I would @ you! Maybe it's @Northwind ?

Anytime I have a good multiplayer session, I can't help but grind through hunter ranks, as opposed to some others on here who prefer to take it slow in singleplayer. To each their own! Multiplayer is much more important to me than singleplayer for this franchise.

Really, I'm still MR2 anyway, so it's not like I shot up to 4 or 5 just yet xD

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

Joeynator3000

....Ugh, normally I would complete all of the quests in a rank before moving on to the next set. But I keep skipping everything, mainly just so I can upgrade stuff. >.<

I'll do all of this stuff eventually, lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Pizzamorg

Holy *****, that Luna horn is kinda nuts. That sharpness regeneration song basically means I remain in purple sharpness forever, even when I get in enough hits to take it to white, I only need to stop for a split second and I am fully back in the purple again. And since it is boosting my element too, it is a lot of damage. Looks and sounds amazing, too.

TeeJay

Just beat lunagaron. What an awesome fight. Been having a blast so far. Staying hyper aggressive on the monster with my dual blades just feels amazing.

I'd been using dual blades exclusively all the way to MR4 but now I think I'm gonna take a minute and try and craft some usable weapons and gear for the other weapons I use. I already got the narga Switchaxe up and running again, just gotta make the Glaive and Charge Blade. Oh and Gunlance too. I actually haven't even tried the new wirebug skills for any of them except Switchaxe. Really gotta get on that.

Also that Luna armor set has a REALLY interesting skill. Can't wait to get that all crafted and try it out.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Pizzamorg

Got far enough to unlock more switch skills, including the Sonic Bloom which I don't think was in the demo?

I can't tell you how much fun/how much it has opened up my gameplay now with these two extra skills, as I can finally make use of the new swap mechanic.

I am using the same load out on both, bar one with Slide Beat and the bloom for in the moment to moment fighting (Bloom does a lot of damage and the stun/fatigue value on it is nuts, so just pop it down, play some songs and topple the mofo) and then once they are down, swapping to use the grenade move (can't remember proper name) and Earthshaker for some massive damage.

It is extremely satisfying. And the fact you get an Iframe evade using the swap is cool too. Also if you didn't notice, the swap is on the hotbar too and it is way easier for me to flick over with the dpad.

JaxonH

Just crafted Blood Orange Bishaten armor, and got my Palico/Palamute normal Bishaten, though my Palamute still uses the Bloodborne looking layered armor from the Deluxe set.

There's no Orangaten Great Sword though, so I made the Switch Axe. Figure I'll be OK bouncing back and forth between the weapons.

Feels so good building new skill sets around the armor. It came with Latent Power 5 which I've never used before. It seems really good though. Not sure what activates it.

Now, I'm ready to tackle the MR2 Quests. I've done 2 of them so far, and every MR1 quest and every Follower/Survey quest. Which btw, those Quests are 🔥 🔥 🔥 They're so good! Hunting with Luchika and Fioraynne is like online multiplayer but even better. They chit chat with cool dialog, come riding in on monsters, react if you pull out the camera... I can't believe it took this long to get proper AI hunting partners.

I said Wirebugs and Palamutes were amazing additions for Rise... Switch Skill Swap and Follower Quests are amazing additions for Sunbreak. I hope they carry forward into future games.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic