Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,841 to 3,860 of 4,706

JaxonH

Took out THREE Apex Emergency Quests with TeeJay tonight in some quality headset + voicechat hunts. Rathian, Mizutsune and Rathalos.

We did pretty well, all things considered. We both peeled a Rathalos Ruby on that last quest, too.

Can't wait to hop back in later this week and take on Apex Emergency Diablos, Apex Emergency Zinogre, Advanced Ibushi/All-Mother Narwa, Advanced Crimson Glow Valstrax, and Heart of Might (Chameleos, Kushala Daora and Teostra).

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TeeJay

Oh I see I got pinged a few times, but you got a hold of me on LINE anyway so it's fine, haha.

Great hunts, @JaxonH. We chewed through those three emergency apexes pretty much like nothing. It's good to be back.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Joeynator3000

Ugh, freakin' Emergency Apex Mizutsune, I don't know why but he always catches me in between an attack when he does that back slam attack, that always one-shots you. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

TeeJay

Lol we were commenting on that back slam move while fighting it. Definitely looked like a OHKO.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

JaxonH

Yup. If your defense isn't 550+ in quest you can pretty much bank on getting one shotted. I had about 630 defense in quest after drinking mega armorskins and it still took 75% of my full health bar. Really important to prioritize keeping your health topped up. Which... admittedly is a lot harder to maintain when playing solo.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Joeynator3000

I can't remember what my defense was at, pretty sure it was really high, though. But it felt like a one-shot regardless. >.<

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Pizzamorg

meleehunter wrote:

@Pizzamorg I'm more interested in the guard tackle honestly. The default dash is good for maneuvering and defence but I find it clunky to use offensively, which this tackle seems to remedy. Swapping means you get to have the best of both worlds.

Fair enough. I have never played Lance in Rise, so just looking at the two clips side by side, I couldn't tell a huge difference between the two moves but I might try and put together a Lance build together in the lead up, so maybe I will better understand the nuance then.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

Oh BTW, the Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak Pro Controller is live on Amazon UK. Ships to US.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Controller-Monster-S...

meleehunter

@Pizzamorg The main distinction of the current dash is that it lets you go sideways, making it in essence an evade that has blocking active throughout. That does not seem possible with tackle, in exchange for it being much quicker to execute and transition into attacks.

Basarios, Barroth, Jyuratodus and Diablos armor pieces are all great to consider for Lance and other guard-focused weapons. But keep in mind that, contrary to popular sentiment, you don't always need to max out every guard skill there is to defend well against every single monster. Or you could also say screw it to everyone allergic to skills that aren't damage focused and build the tankiest set there is, clear times be damned. A lot of the pieces I mentioned have Defence Up skills, and the decorations for that are only level 1, so why not throw as many as you can on to take it further?

In the end, we're all we got.

My Nintendo: meleehunter

JaxonH

@meleehunter
I always focus on survivability over damage output. You won't find a single attack, weakness exploit or critical eye point on my sets.

I like Earplugs, Quick Sheath, Handicraft, Sharpness, Evasion, Evade Distance, Rapid Morph (for Switch Axe and Charge Blade), Focus (for Long Sword and Great Sword), Constitution and Stamina Surge (for Insect Glaive and Dual Blades), etc.

I suppose the sharpness focused skills add damage, but their purpose is more to ensure I don't bounce and need to sharpen less often.

I do remember in my Gunlance set, I had a Guard + Guard Up Talisman I used to turn into a tank.

Edited on by JaxonH

meleehunter

@JaxonH Wouldn't Mind's Eye be a better choice if your only goal is to not bounce? Rapid Morph also straight up adds damage at higher levels. It might be more fair to say your skills are utility focused rather than on survivability.

Before getting a sustainable stock of dash juice I actually used the Zinogre armor's signature Latent Power as my workhorse for stamina-heavy weapons. It's much more reliable here than it was before thanks to damage dealt helping to trigger it and packs a good mix of stamina utility and damage, while leaving just enough room for weapon-specific tweaks.

JaxonH

@meleehunter
That's what I originally thought, so I made a Mind's Eye + Bluntness set so weapons with little or no blue sharpness would become viable.

What I found, however, is that without sharpness to slow dulling, the small portions of green weren't enough.

But yes, utility and survivability. Mostly survivability though. Wirebug Whisperer helps ensure I can wirefall when needed, constitution and stamina ensure I don't get stuck in place, Rapid Morph and Quick Sheath helps mitigate animation frames which are a huge source of taking damage. Earplugs are more because I hate being stuck in a roar-locked animation. Evasion and Evade Distance help avoid damage.

Edited on by JaxonH

meleehunter

I only have one set with Handicraft, the Magnamolo one, which I had some fun with building it around a Bubbly Dance talisman and Resuscitate to go with the existing hellfire. And it's only now that I realize I pretty much made an unofficial Apex Mizutsune set.

TeeJay

Oh it's funny how there's a discussion of survivability happening here because I recently made a new armor set focused entirely on that.

Defense Up +6
Divine Blessing +3
Recovery Speed +3
Recovery Up +3
Evade Extender +2
Kushala's Blessing +3
Dragonheart +2

Kushala's Blessing +3 allows you to recover health beyond red health, so, an auto heal at all times. Couple that with taking much less damage in the first place and being able to recover incredibly quickly when I DO need it, and it makes for one incredibly defensive set.

The Dragonheart is there too but doesn't really come into play often as I have to be below 50% health.

I've also got a Chameleos Switchaxe and Poison +3 to help with my attack a little, though it wasn't the priority.

Edited on by TeeJay

JaxonH

@TeeJay
And not a moment too soon, I might add.

That advanced quest with buffed Ibushi and All-Mother Narwa was a death trap. I had like 630 defense and still carted with max health from a super fast 2 hit combo of tail slam and the resulting AoE element attack. I didn't have the recovery skills you did, but I had Defense +6 gemmed in with a SwitchAxe offering +50 Defense, and Felyne Defender Hi and Mega Armorskin boost.

I love these difficult Quests so much. And it's good preparation for surviving Master Rank.

meleehunter

Maybe this was already discussed, but if Rampages continue into Master Rank, how do you think they would be justified in story? My guess would be a good opportunity to bring the Magala(s) back without stepping on Malzeno's toes much. It would be weird that progressively stronger hordes come despite being supposed to be "winding down".

Edited on by meleehunter

JaxonH

Watching this Great Sword trailer just makes me so excited to learn the weapon in Sunbreak. I suck with GS, always have, but these new moves make it look so attractive.

I'm also kind of curious to give Bow a spin, after watching this short gameplay snippet:

@meleehunter
I don't think Gore is coming back in light of Seregios coming back, and Malzeno's bloodblight mechanic being so similar.

We also haven't seen anything about rampages, so I'm inclined to believe they won't be a part of Sunbreak. It's still possible, but so far they haven't shown or mentioned anything.

Joeynator3000

I can see Gore and Shaggy coming back just because Seregios is returning, also I don't think the virus and the Bloodblight similarities mean anything.

As for rampages, I kinda want to see if they'll be improved, because I love tower defenses but it felt like Rampages were...I dunno, they felt lacking.

I also want them to improve the doggos, because shortly after using them for a bit, I just went back to having two cats with me instead.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Keep it PG-13-ish.

TeeJay

I was never the biggest fan of tower defense. I find them stressful and overwhelming. MH Rise does them.....ok, I guess, only because they're so easy its hard to actually fail them, and for the novelty of seeing so many monsters on the screen at once.

However I wouldn't miss them whatsoever if they decided to just abandon that idea in Sunbreak.

And I REALLY want Gore to return, he's one of my favorite monsters and I've missed him greatly since MH4U. I think its general aesthetic fits so well with Sunbreak that I would be baffled if it didn't return.

I'd also like to see the dogs get buffed in some way. Right now I use two Palicoes because what the Palamutes offer just pales in comparison. With the wirebugs you can pretty much match the speed of someone riding a palamute most of the time, and even if not, you'll get to the fight like, one second later than them, depending on the terrain. Uphill palamutes have more advantage and downhill wirebugs are faster.

Aside from their speed I usually have some level of speed sharpening in my sets as filler so the advantage of being able to sharpen while riding around gets diminished.

Edited on by TeeJay

JaxonH

I liked the rampages as a diversification from siege Quests, which had grown pretty stale over the years, but having gotten my fill from base Rise, I'd be OK with them going back to normal siege Quests for Sunbreak or even trying something new.

I still use a Palamute, even though the buffs from Palicos are so strong. Once you grow accustomed to having them as a convenience factor it's kinda hard to give them up, especially if the benefits of the Palico aren't needed to stay alive. Of course, Master Rank may change that. The palico healing effects could make the difference between carting or not. If that's the case I'll switch back. But solo I take one of each so it's kind of the best of both worlds. I'd be OK with a palamute buff, but they'd have to be careful not to make them too powerful. On the other hand, I'm not unhappy with the way they currently are so, either way is good with me.

The number one monster I wanted back was Seregios, and we got him. Next was Astalos, and we got him too. I think the monster I want most that hasn't been announced is Nergigante or Seltas Queen. I think wyvern riding a Seltas Queen would be super dope, especially if they play that "chu chu" sound effect before you charge.

Also

Another set of great hunts with TeeJay. We took out Apex Emergency Zinogre and Advanced Crimson Glow Valstrax. Absolutely devastating damage from those monsters. No carts either, as I recall.

Only quest left to do now is Heart of Might featuring Chameleos, Kushala Daora and Teostra, and my quest list will be completed.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic