Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,821 to 3,840 of 4,706

Ulysses

@meleehunter I think most people who engage with the online community can sense that multiplayer is funneled down to simple DPS.

If your weapon class isn't doing optimal damage, then you end up feeling that inherent guilt like, "What if the other players think I'm a deadweight..?"

I really wish monster encounters would transition away from being boiled down to pure DPS. Capcom should continue evolving monster attack patterns that give opportunities for different weapon classes to shine, and contribute in different ways.

For instance, someday when a player needs to use a potion/item, a player with a Lance could block the monster with their shield from actually reaching the other player, fending off the monster while the other player heals. That kind of emergent gameplay from next-generation game design is in fact what Capcom always imagined in their old cutscenes from past games.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

Ulysses

@Joeynator3000 I actually believe weapon customization should evolve enough that you can simply unequip the shield if you feel like it. The Lance, Gunlance, and even SnS should all be able to simply unequip the shield, giving you different combo options. I've always wanted to use the Sword and Shield without the shield, just jumping around with a relatively normal-sized blade against a huge monster. Lots of fantasy RPG's start out the player character with nothing but a small sword, and I've always wanted to play that out in Monster Hunter.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

Joeynator3000

....Just use Dual Blades then...lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Ulysses

@Joeynator3000 Yeah well, it's that kind of thinking that prevents anything from iterating upon itself, and evolving over time. More options is just better, no?

The SnS without the shield could utilize lots of different charge attacks, like Link's spin attack. There are so many sword fighting styles not covered by Dual Blades that could be explored with other weapons and iterations. Even a Dual Blade without the second sword could have its own unique style, focusing more on counters, like an assassin aesthetic.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

@MisterMan
Thats true if you're specifically referring to counters. But blocking is also defensive, and it's much easier to block than counter, and you can do it with a MUCH faster response time. Hence the chip damage otherwise it would be OP.

@Ulysses
I've never felt that way. I never think about dps, and just play for fun. I'm skilled enough to hold my own.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Ulysses
I think those would be better explored as a separate weapon class, but maybe it's something they look into in the future.

But for now, they are what they are.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MisterMan

@JaxonH I'm referring to the weapon's entire move set. To me, the lance in Rise is not fun. As a lance main in the last 3 games this was a disappointment. I feel like this team doesn't get what makes the lance such a fun and satisfying weapon and what they're adding to it is counter intuitive to what made the lance so fun in past games. The spiral thrust, twin vines, and charged slap are perfect examples of this. What made the lance fun was getting into proper positioning for well aimed, precise attacks, lance hopping and guard counters. Rise takes it in a different direction. I'm still going to give it another shot in Sunbreak, but from what I've seen so far I'm not hopeful.

Edited on by MisterMan

MisterMan

JaxonH

@TeeJay
Up for a few hunts?

JaxonH

@MisterMan
Guess it's a good thing there's 13 other weapons to use if 1 doesn't suit your fancy

meleehunter

Ulysses wrote:

@meleehunter I think most people who engage with the online community can sense that multiplayer is funneled down to simple DPS.

If your weapon class isn't doing optimal damage, then you end up feeling that inherent guilt like, "What if the other players think I'm a deadweight..?"

I really wish monster encounters would transition away from being boiled down to pure DPS. Capcom should continue evolving monster attack patterns that give opportunities for different weapon classes to shine, and contribute in different ways.

For instance, someday when a player needs to use a potion/item, a player with a Lance could block the monster with their shield from actually reaching the other player, fending off the monster while the other player heals. That kind of emergent gameplay from next-generation game design is in fact what Capcom always imagined in their old cutscenes from past games.

If you could always stop monsters dead in their tracks with a guard, what's stopping a conga line of gunners abusing the heck out of that?

This DPS obsession has nothing to do with monster behavior, it's just a consequence of real-time combat letting you potentially avoid every single attack. If you were confident in your dodging abilities in a Mario & Luigi game, would you honestly spec in anything other than offence?

To enforce roles outside of damage you would have to cut almost all of the action out and replace it with a numbers game... a pure RPG.

@MisterMan

I don't know, all that stuff you like about Lance still seems present and accounted for here, which would be easy to see if you could look past things like "my numbers" and "but Long Sword tho". And I get to knock the daylights out of monsters with my smashing board too thanks to the alternative charging attack. If all else fails, you could always go status to help enable the "stronger" weapons.

In the end, we're all we got.

My Nintendo: meleehunter

TeeJay

@JaxonH Ah sorry I just hadn't checked the site today so I missed your pings. I missed today but yeah that's a good time to hunt.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

JaxonH

@TeeJay
No worries. Is LINE a good way to ping you notifications still? I sent you a message in our MH chat. Or wait, we use Discord now don't we?

Joeynator3000

I would go online too but I've been playing the game less and less, tried getting back into it because of the expansion and, I'm out of stuff to do really. As for the Emergency Apex quests I kinda want to do those on my own first, already managed 3 of them so, half-way through. lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
Well, if you wanna take on some of these last buffed monster event Quests together let me know. I'm game.

Joeynator3000

@JaxonH I'm pretty much done, actually, the Emergency Apex quests is all that's left, aside one last Shrines quest with 3 monsters. xD

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I was thinking about playing around with the lance. That Gurren Lagann thrust thing looks so cool!

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@TeeJay
Sending you a message on LINE. I'll be home shortly.

meleehunter

@Pizzamorg I'm more interested in the guard tackle honestly. The default dash is good for maneuvering and defence but I find it clunky to use offensively, which this tackle seems to remedy. Swapping means you get to have the best of both worlds.

In the end, we're all we got.

My Nintendo: meleehunter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic