Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 2,161 to 2,180 of 4,706

Ralizah

@JaxonH omg I had no idea you could do that! I was considering rearranging my skill set just so I didn't have to wear that hideous helmet. 😂

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Before World you couldn't hide anything. In World you could only hide your helmet. In Rise you can pick and choose which armor pieces to hide. It's a great crutch for mixed sets.

Just strip down to your underwear by hiding everything else, but keep the helmet on. That would be a fresh, bold look 👌

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ulysses

@JaxonH Ah, I conveniently forgot about that. (not a big fan of World)

Well... To me, that just means it's been building up from World, the expectation to know exactly when to capture a monster and then doing it to end the quest early. Lots of players have no idea some mats are exclusive to carving. And to them, faster quests means more convenience.

This is why I continue to believe more convenience isn't necessarily better gameplay.

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

JaxonH

@Ulysses
It's not necessarily better, but it's also not necessarily the convenience that is to blame. You could always tell when the monster was ready to be capped by the limping animation, which, albeit not quite as reliable, was still reasonably reliable.

I think the issue is the type of players World brought into the fold. A lot of min-maxing gamers that only play AAA multi-player games and have no respect for etiquette or tradition- only the meta. And by World releasing on other platforms where such gamers are the dominant demographic, Monster Hunter became inundated with that type of player.

Thankfully, Rise filters out many of them by virtue of being on Switch. But still- many did buy a Switch for Rise. On top of which, many veterans simply became accustomed to capping in World due to that specific entry not offering any benefits to killing over capping, ergo- why spend extra time killing if it's not advantageous in any way? Those habits established in World have likely carried forward into Rise.

Plus, let's be clear- capping is a good option in Rise. It actually offers superior drop rates for plates and gems. So if you're plate farming then capping is the go-to option. It's just that, often times you need other mats, which in some cases can have higher chances from a kill.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mountain_Man

Ralizah wrote:

Behold! Glorious high-rank gear!

Untitled

That absurd gaming trope where high level gear for males gets bulkier while high level gear for females gets skimpier.

The Mountain Man

CANOEberry

JaxonH wrote:

I'm really not the person to ask. I dislike most multi-player games. Monster Hunter (co-op) and Splatoon (competitive) are two of the rare exceptions

@JaxonH Ahhhh, interesting. Strong endorsement, then. Thanks.

Mr-Fuggles777 wrote:

I tend to prefer PvE looters. A newer game I'm currently playing is Outriders (which feels like a perfect blend of Gears, Destiny & DOOM)...

Other games I still play online with friends: Code Vein, Halo MCC, Journey to the Savage Planet (until it left gamepass), Borderlands and I have just download Sea of Thieves on a friends recommendation, but havnt started it yet.

@Mr-Fuggles777 Yes yes, you're quite positive on Xbox, I've noticed. They've certainly come a ways since the disgraceful days of Don Mattrick! I've no particular grudge against against Phil Spencer or the MS gaming division, really - just the parent company. All the games you've mentioned are available on Steam or PS4, happily. Savage Planet didn't make a big impression on me or I'd actually remember it, but it doesn't seem bad! And this Outriders is really new, but Sea of Thieves must be pretty solid by now. I wonder if my loud Xbox-owning neighbour would be interested in Outriders.... Thanks again, Mr. Fuggles.

Edited on by CANOEberry

CANOEberry

urrutiap

Capture a moster quests toned down this time from Capcom for Monster Hunter Rise.

Capture quests were a big deal back then and still are for Monster Hunter 3 and Monster Hunter 4.

for Generations/Ultimate I didnt have to capture any much. just did the usual hunt down the monster kill it to complete the quest

urrutiap

urrutiap

Gathering Hub online capture quests i dont see a whole lot when joining up with randoms that are mostly Japanese players.

If they want to capture the stupid monster i dont care. if I accidently wail on the monster while the others used a pitfall trap or whatever, sorry but capturing a monster isnt my thing anyway. Takes too damn long for them to be be weak for the right moment to be captured. It was a pain in Monster Hunter 4 and Generations

urrutiap

Mr-Fuggles777

@COVIDberry I've just bought a new xbox after missing most of the Xb1 generation so I'm a little hooked at the moment and excited to play all my 360 games again.

Last few years I've been a PS4 / Switch gamer (I have a gaming laptop but never turn it on unless I need to use MS Office for work). But I have to admit that I'm super Impressed with gamepass and it blows my mind its only £1.50 a month more than NSO (I get a 4 month pass for £20) - I've been playing Rain on my Parade this afternoon for free!!!! its also a really fun albeit short game, it's definitely a perfect game for anyone how enjoys a smoke with their gaming

I'm looking forward to playing Sea of Thieves, from what I've read its pretty good now with plenty of stuff to do.

Back on track: Don't think i'm saying Rise is a bad game because it isn't, it's just I personally find it more boring than world and am a little disappointed with how hack and slash the gameplay feels.

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

My Nintendo: Badger | Nintendo Network ID: SW-7629-6884-5091

Ralizah

@Mountain_Man lol

All my other armor looks properly protective, thankfully. This is the set I'm currently using with my Hunting Horn, for example:

Untitled

@Mr-Fuggles777 Between Game Pass and physical BC, I'm halfway tempted to get a Series X and play my 360 games on it. Lots of stuff I'd love to revisit on there, but I HATE the controller on the 360. Also, it's just sort of old and slow these days.

It's too bad there's no option to get a Series S with a disc drive. I don't really need the 4K option, but a digital-only console is a no-go for me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Joeynator3000

...I just realized, this is the first MH game where I've completed every quest in the game. Well, so far anyways, but still...lol.

Past games there were always some quests where I couldn't just beat alone and so they never got done. Anyways yeah, I said I was gonna take a break with this game, but...I may as well mess with some of the armor and weapons. Gonna start with Magnamalo's stuff...final boss equipment seems...eh. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Ulysses

Well... Finally got around to village Magnamalo and got the credits to roll.

This game is easily the most beautiful Monster Hunter to date, and if BOTW didn't exist to stand toe to toe, I would say Rise is without a doubt the most beautiful game on the Switch by a mile.

The art design, the world, the presentation, the setting, the aesthetics, the music... Just stunning. And when the piano arrangement of Proof of a Hero started playing in the credits... Monster Hunter has been with me for so many years, like Pokemon, that when I heard that song with that arrangement, I really did get misty-eyed. The nostalgia hit like a truck. To pull off this kind of a game on the Switch is all the more incredible.

And, just like @JaxonH said, it's just the beginning. I'm so excited now to dig in to the end game and make everything I want, and before I know it, the new content will drop in a couple weeks! Just an amazing time to be both a Nintendo fan and a Monster Hunter fan, especially one who sorely missed out on P3rd all these years (never imported like the diehards, even though I wanted to).

Edited on by Ulysses

Ulysses

Pho

I've been making new weapons since I beat the game, making a sword and shield and an insect glaive. The insect glaive is alot of fun, tho I find myself getting knocked out of the air alot. It's been working really well grinding Magnamalo tho. Diving Wyvern is very satisfying

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Joeynator3000

...Anyone around tonight? Wanna help me do Magnamalo stuff since I need a few of his rare drops?...Maybe some rampages with the Apexes if enough people show up? Gonna do a few other things first before getting back into the game, but...yeah...I'll be around tonight.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Pho

@Joeynator3000 I just started grinding magnamalo myself, I'll be around for a little over an hour
SW-3842-0505-0421

Poyo! <3

JaxonH

@Ulysses
That’s how I feel. I’m a diehard MH fan since MH3U, but this one is something special. World was also special, as that was the game that finally brought MH up to modern gaming standards. But, it deviated a bit too far in some respects, and it definitely lacked the charm in pursuit of hyper realism. Worst of all, it was tied to the TV. Which, don’t get me wrong- when MH was tied to handheld I yearned for TV play again like MH3U offered on Wii U, but... as a supplement, not a replacement. MH3U was the first hybrid MH experience, as you could bounce saves across 3DS and Wii U to take advantage of portability and local MP, without sacrificing HD TV play to get it.

But Rise... wow. This is it. This is the MH of my dreams. The video game of my dreams. I still can’t believe how spectacular it looks, particularly in handheld mode. It’s unreal playing a MH game that looks this good period (I spent most of the last decade playing in 240p, and even console versions were just HD versions of 3DS games, to the extent that when MHGU came to Switch, it felt like a massive leap forward), but having one this gorgeous and refined on a handheld? It really is like a dream come true. This was the number one thing I had been asking for since the day World was revealed and I realized they were modernizing the series.

I remember Gogmazios in MH4U- such an epic showdown, and toward the end of the battle Proof of a Hero kicks in as all hell breaks loose for the final push at the tape. It’s moments like those that I live for. The music in Rise in the Sandy Plains and Volcano map are equally epic.

I just crafted a High Rank Aknosom armor set, upgraded each piece to 50 defense, upgraded the Aknosom Switch Axe, and threw in some Recovery jewels, Geologist jewels and Poison Resistance jewels (for now, since I can’t make anything better). As I was going through the weapon trees for the three weapons I use- Charge Blade, Switch Axe and Hunting Horn, I bought even more weapons (I have to have 3 or 4 dozen weapons by now). It made me realize all the different sets I want and all the different weapons to match them are going to take an eternity to craft lol. I’m even debating making a gunner build since the Tetranadon armor looks so good and it’s a Bowgun set through and through. Same for Wroggi set. But I’ll hold off making sets for additional weapons until endgame.

New content will drop almost exactly as I get to the end of the game, it seems. Perfect timing. SO glad we don’t have to wait 3 months for a single monster to drop like in World. They’re like nope- 1 month post release we’re gonna hit you with 4 or 5 different monsters (and unlock the HR cap). That’s why I quit playing World. There was one particular weapon and armor set that was so superior, it was pointless to make anything else. So with a three month gap before the first content update, I just quit playing. And releasing one monster at a time was never enough to convince me to come back. It seems like they’ve learned their lesson from that- they realized they need to incentivize people with more than just a single monster, and they can’t wait three whole months to do it.

I can’t wait for G rank. By then we’ll have 9 additional title update monsters, and the Ultimate Edition will add 20-30 more, and then title updates after that will add half a dozen more... by the time this game is completely finished it’s going to be the definitive video game. I’m going to be playing this for years to come. Even after the next console entry, it’s not going to be hybrid ,so even that won’t completely pull me away. I take great comfort in knowing that no matter what happens, we have this incredible hybrid MH experience. Nothing can ever take that away. Very few games do I play for more than 20 hours. Even fewer do I played for 50 hours. Only a small handful have seen over 100 hours. But the only video game that has ever existed where I can literally play it for years... is Monster Hunter. That’s not to say I won’t eventually move on to other games because I most certainly will. But it’s a game I tend to come back to. But that’s going to be even more true for Rise than ever before. Because the moment to moment gameplay has never been better.

We also still have Monster Hunter Stories 2 coming in like 2 or 3 months! And that game looks incredible in its own right. For any fan of MH, I think Stories 2 is going to be a treat.

TeeJay

Gogmazios brings up unfortunate memories for me. I remember hunting it with you, Jax. I carted twice quickly and sat out the rest of the quest, then refused to come carve cause I didn't feel like I'd done anything but be a liability.

Easily my worst hunting memory ever, but it's not any fault of the monster.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Pho

@Northwind I find it relatively easy too.

That said

I just got TWO of its Purple Magna Orbs!!!!

Poyo! <3

FattyWhale_42

@TeeJay I actually think I remember that hunt (but mostly from Jaxon going nuts with the IG as I was "trying" to carve — I got them all... barely) xD

FattyWhale_42

Switch Friend Code: SW-4410-3079-4430

JaxonH

@TeeJay
What?! I didn’t know that? Or if I did I must have forgotten. I mean, I remember you playing with me and Hunting Gog, but that’s about it. The only detail I remember is needing to pass my urgent, and since the G rank boss quests weren’t really doable solo, you needed a group of 4 to stand a chance. I recall joining a turns lobby, helping 3 other people with their urgent, and then as soon as my turn came up, everyone left the lobby. Like, are you for real? I spent HOURS helping you pass your urgent and you bail when it’s my turn? I think that’s when I reached out to you for help, actually.

You’re a very skilled Hunter. And a mount master if I’ve ever seen one. I remember fighting Tetsucabra with you, and you would mount that thing within minutes lol. Mean with a glaive, that’s for sure. I wouldn’t feel bad about carting. Gogmazios was a very difficult quest. One of the hardest in the series imo.

You still running insect glaive or did you move on to something else?

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic