Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 801 to 820 of 862

NEStalgia

@JoyBoy Rayman requires rhythm. DKC requires rhythm. Super Metroid wall jumping requires wiring your nervous system to a Metroid gnome.

@Balta666 I thought it was required in the room with the animals. Once you're in there I'm pretty sure that's the only way out, and the room exists to teach you. Maybe you can bypass the room, but if it's your first play you don't know where that is, and the game guides you into it.

@mr_somewhere There's also the issue that the game is meant for CRTs with zero latency and most of us are playing on laggy LCDs, or slightly laggy OLEDs. So what was once somewhat balanced for the lightning fast reactions of a child is now played on a display delay with an input delay by we who are not children.... It's actually harder than it was back then because of that. The reaction window from the animation is significantly shorter than it was meant to be.... And it was somewhat challenging even originally.

NEStalgia

Bolt_Strike

@link3710 Yeah, there's a lot of intentional design decisions, but most of them restrict your sequence breaking ability, not enhance it. There's a lot of paths where the way back closes and the way forward opens until the game decides it's time to go back there. Teleports are one way only instead of letting you warp anywhere on the map like SR. There's the Power Bombs Expansions being locked instead of just letting you use the Power Bombs.

Also several of the benefits you mentioned don't really expand your ability to sequence break. Not being able to softlock yourself is great, and very savvy game design, but it doesn't open up the possibility for new sequence breaks, it just stops you from having to start over if you screw something up. And ADAM's cutscenes being designed to accommodate visiting the Comms rooms in any order doesn't really do anything either, it just makes the cutscenes make sense. There's very little in the game that actually allows you to explore areas before you're supposed to and much more consciously designed to prevent you from doing so.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NEStalgia

Small pet peeves, but why is Kraid even in this game? space pirates are otherwise never mentioned and there's no story reason that makes sense for him to randomly be chained the the basement of ZDR. I know it's fan service, and Metroid story never makes sense, but that's just so out of place

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

I-U

@NEStalgia Metroid stories usually do make sense, but in terms of that appearance there's nothing from the game to really go off of to explain the appearance. My own thoughts is that ZDR is Kraid's homeworld and we happen to encounter a captured member of that species. The Mawkin Tribe likely wanted a member of the species to experiment on. I do not believe at all that Kraid on ZDR is a continuation of the Space Pirate ruler faced on Zebes. That one probably is a clone designed by Mother Brain to serve its cause and alongside the Space Pirates. The timeline of Samus's missions and the X pandemic on ZDR don't add up either for ZDR's Kraid to be anything other than an original of the species.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

JoyBoy

@NEStalgia Maybe it's an X?

Also, Samus was pregnant in Super, that explains everything.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

NEStalgia

Lol, I love fanfic conspiracy theories! I'm still going by the theory it was nonsensical fan service. Your theory is as good as it gets but it's so convenient, it might as well magically be the original!

NEStalgia

link3710

@Bolt_Strike How often are the roadblocks actually stopping you from sequence breaking though? Serious question as someone who's on their fifth run. Basically every backtracking block is designed to only trigger if you intend to follow the intended path. Outside of the first area (both times), I can't think of a single one that would actually enable sequence breaks by removing it.

I suppose I should say that what impresses me is that there's a very purposeful balance between making sure a first playthrough doesn't have the player get too lost, while still allowing a knowledgeable player to sequence break freely. You're right that these decisions aren't in the name of sequence breaking, but they do a lot of work to make sure that they don't impede it much in practice.

link3710

JoyBoy

Haha, I mean who decided to call him Kraid anyway? Or can he/she talk? I mean he can't be original, right? It's got to have parents! Or was he (I'm going with male, because sexist) made in some kind of genetic lab? If so, that means they could make more!

I'm sure that's where the story will go in Metroid 6: The origins of Kraid, Family Matters.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

mr_somewhere

@NEStalgia That's a good point about the input, never thought about it. I imagine having played in on PAL as well, with the latency issue, probably made it easier as well but I don't really get how that impacted things to be honest.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

Maxz

I finally compelled this game! It was very fun to control. I thought the story was… quite dumb, and told with all the subtlety of 9 year old bouncing around on their bed spraying silly string everywhere and yelling, “I’m Spider-Man!”, but… it was still enjoyable as long as you didn’t try to take it as seriously as it seems to take itself.

I remember enjoying Zero Mission when it came out, so I might pick up the new version.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

@link3710 The problem is that the sequence breaks all require some relatively complex tricks to accomplish to the point where you need a PhD in physics to accomplish them. Super's tended to be simpler, a simple Shinespark or Wall Jump was usually enough to veer off the intended path. And I think they should be allowing more of the latter if they really want to emphasize sequence breaking as part of the gameplay, if that's a key part of the game's appeal it should be relatively accessible. Until they revert back to Super's levels of sequence breaking it's always going to feel like an afterthought and not really something they're emphasizing in the game design.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

link3710

@Bolt_Strike Uh, that's not true? Most of the ones in Super either required: Multiple (very difficult) wall jumps in a row, often with shooting mid way through (like early Power Bombs), Mock Ball (very unintended, and hard to pull off, like early super missiles and early ice beam), or a technique similar to Pseudo Wave Beam but specific to shutters (another early super missiles path).

The ones that are easy to pull off? You have non-progression items like a few power-ups (which the same holds true in dread), early X-Ray specs (which, it's counterpart, early Pulse Radar, is just as easy) and early Spazer with just wall jumping.

The only actual progression item I'm aware of that's not locked behind incredibly complicated maneuvers or actual glitches? Early Wave Beam. Which yes, is literally just a super simple wall jump section.

Meanwhile? In Dread, Early Gravity Suit only requires a simple shinespark maneuver (going over that one pit of water to get to the teleporter in Ghavoran to the lime green teleporter), Early Grapple is admittedly a bit complex with requiring both a slide jump and a wall jump, but not that hard. Early Cross Bombs is also just a pair of simple shinesparks (one through the small tunnel with the missile upgrade, another up to the door to the boss). Early Super Missile requires running through a frigid section with the speed booster and a few wall jumps, but if you get enough health first it's super easy.

As someone who's run both (casually admittedly)... I find Dread's skips much easier in general.

That said, it's quite possible I simply don't know some of the easier ones in Super? Since it was already a matured scene by the time I got in, there's almost certainly easier tricks that have just been left on the wayside. If you do know of any upgrades that can be collected early in Super via shinesparking, please let me know (I will totally try those out next time I do a run), but I'm genuinely not aware of any that exist, unlike Dread.

Edited on by antdickens

link3710

Bankaj

Beat the game at 10h08m. It was my first 2D Metroid and I still feel the adrenaline pumping. This game is great fun. The amount of action jam-packed in the playtime for a regular playthrough is immense! I believe I ended up with 50% of the items or so.

This was awesome!

Bankaj

Lugazz

JoyBoy wrote:

Also, Samus was pregnant in Super, that explains everything.

What?!

Lugazz

Henmii

My favorite bosses where the endboss (obviously) and the Experiment. The endboss might be the best in the entire 2D series. Special mention goes to the water boss, since it was the only one that was sort of a puzzle.

Henmii

anderson97

did anyone beat it in less than 8 hours?

anderson97

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic