Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 821 to 840 of 862

Tendo64

Hard to pick a favourite, but for 'bang for buck' and overall satisfaction when you smoke the c*** (OK they all have that, but this one more so) - Raven Beak.

Started out so overwhelmed by his attacks, and finished it a step ahead of him each time.

Probably one of only two bosses on the Switch where I've genuinely wondered if I could beat it, after failing over and over with no relief in sight. The other, was Thunderblight Ganon in BOTW.

Edited on by Tendo64

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Solaine

Beat this game in in 7 hours, but probably gonna play it again for a more exploration like approach, i didn't focus on gathering stuff at all.

Game was solid to me with tight controls, and i really liked that every time you die from a boss or an E.M.M.I you usually start pretty close at the point you died, making deaths never really frustrating to me.
I found it harder to get lost than the other metroids i played, only like searching for the right way 3 to 4 times when aimlessly wandering around (which i usually do when playing those games unless i am really stuck).
I feel like although the worlds were different, it usually didn't feel very different since the plattforming almost always stayed the same... buremia felt a bit different i guess.
I really disliked the story and lore in this game, but the bosses were fun to fight against. I also found the music very disappointing. Overall i guess it is a 6-7/10 for me, but maybe it will change a little when playing again.

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

mr_somewhere

My best time is just over three hours. Even if you've never been into speedrunning or sequence breaking before I'd seriously suggest giving it a try with Dread, you'll really see the game in a new light. Going to go back to it this weekend and see if I can manage sub three hours. This is the most fun I've had sequence breaking since Zero Mission and Dread is even more rewarding in that regard.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

rallydefault

Not sure how far along I am (just got freeze missiles), but I'm having a blast again. Got kinda stuck for awhile and wandered for a couple hours just hoping for a breakthrough, checking my map constantly, etc. But I finally got it (such a rewarding feeling!) and I'm back on path, I believe lol

rallydefault

rallydefault

Just finished - LOVED the final boss. Took me a few tries, but what a fun sequence and mechanics!

This game was absolutely fantastic. Honestly would put it up there as a system-seller along with Odyssey and BotW. Anybody who is even remotely a metroidvania fan needs to play this.

It's weird for me to think about since I'm such an old geezer, but there are probably plenty of younger gamers raised on Xbox/PS who enjoy metroidvanias through exposure to some of the indie stuff, but they have never actually played a Metroid game.

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

Super Metroid = Metroid Fusion > AM2R > Metroid Dread > Zero Mission >> Samus Returns >>>>>>> Metroid 2 >>>>> Metroid 1

this is roughly where I'm at

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

rallydefault

I'm not really a big Metroid fan which is why I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. I've played every single Metroid game at roughly the times they released, but this is the first one I've actually finished lol

Pathetic, yes, but hey, that's me haha

rallydefault

gcunit

I got an invitation from Nintendo to complete a Metroid Dread survey today. I completed it, suggesting that the series was dying and should be retired.

Not really, but it did get me to try and articulate my thoughts about the game, the series and the genre. At the end it asked me to rank the top three 2D metroidvanias that I'd played from a picklist (the list omitted Guacamelee, but included some Castlevania, Bloodstained, Hollow Knight Shantae, Axiom Verge, Ori).

I ended up putting Dread at No.2, with Hollow Knight No.1. Dread is great to play, feels cool and has some nice new features, but whenever I've played Hollow Knight I'm just blown away by how much I like the art and the fact it was an out-of-nowhere IP.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

kkslider5552000

Beating the game again and it said it only took me 2 more hours to go from 49 to 100%. I can't imagine how that's correct, I played a lot longer than 2 hours. Even if it didn't count any time in the pause menu or elevator cutscenes or whatever, that still seems off.

mr_somewhere

@kkslider5552000 You were probably aware of this already, but any time you reload to checkpoints, including when you die, the clock resets to that point as well so the timer is actually very forgiving. I really abused this mechanic when playing to be honest resetting to perfect boss runs or redoing chunks of the game.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

kkslider5552000

mr_somewhere wrote:

You were probably aware of this already, but any time you reload to checkpoints, including when you die, the clock resets to that point as well so the timer is actually very forgiving. I really abused this mechanic when playing to be honest resetting to perfect boss runs or redoing chunks of the game.

I assumed that, but I don't think I died a single time getting the remaining half of the items. I reloaded to go back a couple of minutes to the last save point I was at exactly once, but that's about it.

Octane

35 hours in, still missing some power-ups lol.

Octane

rallydefault

mr_somewhere wrote:

@kkslider5552000 You were probably aware of this already, but any time you reload to checkpoints, including when you die, the clock resets to that point as well so the timer is actually very forgiving. I really abused this mechanic when playing to be honest resetting to perfect boss runs or redoing chunks of the game.

I had no clue about that! Interesting.

rallydefault

Purgatorium

gdi this game is good. I finished a game last night and didn't want to start the next one I planned to play so I downloaded the demo of Dread of a whim. I didn't think I'd like it tbh. Looked good in the trailers. I loved the smooth movement and kinetic action but it had to marks against it 1) not a fan of the genre (dark sci-fi?) and 2) not a fan of metroidvanias in general. But I thought I'd give it a shot anyway and damn. Take my money.

Purgatorium

SKTTR

NEStalgia wrote:

Small pet peeves, but why is Kraid even in this game? space pirates are otherwise never mentioned and there's no story reason that makes sense for him to randomly be chained the the basement of ZDR. I know it's fan service, and Metroid story never makes sense, but that's just so out of place

One of the pictures you can unlock shows why Kraid is in the game.

There's a bunch of unlockable pictures showing scenes that explain bits of the background story.

It's not really fan service then.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

NEStalgia

@SKTTR Really? Few seem to even know that! How do you find those? And also since I'm probably not going to be finding them (I tried hard mode after going through the first time which was fun until I got to him, then I just got frustrated) what is the spoiler explanation?

NEStalgia

SKTTR

@NEStalgia I think you need 100% items in Cataris to unlock the image.

It's showing Raven Beak's army capturing Kraid.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

darthcervantes

I just beat it (normal mode). Wow, great game. That final boss really made a woman out of me. After the first 10 tries I put the game down for a week and last night, after about 30something tries, I beat it.
I really enjoyed this game. One of my favorite 2D metroids. But man, those shine spark/super run blocks? Some of them just make my brain dizzy. I only finished the game at 80%

friend code is SW-5969-2048-5391

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic