Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 661 to 680 of 862

JaxonH

@Gamer83
How does that work- does it just reset before the final boss? Or does it save after the final boss and just let you free roam

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@DarkGeno Judging by the frame rate, the game already has difficulty showing a still of Samus. Maybe it's better she just doesn't move at all. The resulting cutscene would be way too choppy.

Octane

roy130390

@DarkGeno I think that it fits with her personality. The way I see it, she's always analyzing what to do next in the most efficient way possible. She's not one to fiddle with her gadgets even though that's the closest moment that she has to relax and she doesn't allow herself to be caught off-guard at any point.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

SKTTR

Tendo64 wrote:

Watching some of the boss fights on YouTube, I'm convinced there's people using the old 'turbo' setting on the shoot button, somehow. Their rate of fire is too good to be organic.

Nope. No turbo setting. I was replaying Dread with three friends and we were at the boss from zone 2 (I only grabbed the controller at the occasional shinespark and showed off how it's done. I mostly watched, because I already beat the game.
They had a really hard time with that boss and my main complain to them was how extremely slow they were shooting (like a really old lady). It was pew pew instead of RATATATATA! And I realized the modern casual gamer is slow, like me when I was 14, trying to beat the final boss in ActRaiser.
I never was able to. Because I was just too slow. I know it's logic, but back then it didn't occur to me. Yes there are other strategies involved as well, but if someone told me that my only problem is being a slow button basher, I would have beaten this and many other games ages ago.

Anyway, they felt attacked by my words and wanted me to show em how the boss is done. They couldn't believe that you could fire beams and missiles in such rapid succession. The hour they struggled, and I was done in just a minute.
The whole room was awestruck. The one who didn't pay attention was sad they missed it (she probably thought it would take me hours like them and no one thought I could kill that beast in seconds as soon as I got hold of the controller.)

There's no cheating. Some people just shoot faster because that's a strategy that they learned to beat a game, and it's obvious to the point that every pro gamer knows it. Practise your button mashing. It's a must for speedrunning. But it helps in casual gameplay as well.

Compared to them, my damage output was increased by around 500%. And that's why bashing the button as fast as you can is always a great help in games like this.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

DarkGeno

roy130390 wrote:

@DarkGeno I think that it fits with her personality. The way I see it, she's always analyzing what to do next in the most efficient way possible. She's not one to fiddle with her gadgets even though that's the closest moment that she has to relax and she doesn't allow herself to be caught off-guard at any point.

That's fair. As a newcomer, I'm not too familiar with her mannerisms. I can respect her completely stoic nature. Reminds me of Master Chief.

DarkGeno

roy130390

@DarkGeno Yeah, they are similar. Well, I'm not familiar with the Halo franchise but from what I've seen that's the case. I hope that you are enjoying your first Metroid experience.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

BlueMonk

The few times they subtly reveal aspects of Samus’s character were really well done I thought.

There isn’t much exposition in this game and I think that suits it perfectly.

Edited on by BlueMonk

BlueMonk

JaxonH

Just got Gravity Suit and up to 10 Life Tanks! I'm rockin it. Beat a few mini bosses that were pretty dang tough, too.

I'm so in love with this game. I wish I could fast forward to a future where like, 5 more HD Metroid games existed with modern mechanics like the counter and stuff.

I absolutely have to go back to Samus Returns after this.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NinChocolate

It’s been interesting moving on from this directly after a first playthrough of Samus Returns. I don’t think this game supplants the 3DS game completely, but it does greatly take advantage of the more comfortable controls of the Switch with more intricate movement, which is not the fault of the 3DS as a pocket system.

NinChocolate

BlueMonk

There was one item I had to use my friends Pro Controller for because I couldn’t do it with the standard Switch controller.

There were a half dozen tricky items to 100% that took a chunk of trial and effort.

I am now on my second play on Hard and it’s moving much easier than my first run through. The game is very fair.

I have yet to use a guide but after I finish this I might check out some speed runs. Eight hours will be no problem. Four hours might get tricky.

BlueMonk

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH nice on the 10 life tanks. I only had 7 going in to the final showdown 😬. If I could do it with 7, you should be fine with 10+ at that point.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Oh nice.

I’m currently just exploring all the areas, backtracking to get missiles and E-tanks. I just got the screw attack, and can access almost every secret, barring the morph ball boost stuff, purple doors, and maybe one other thing I’m forgetting.

Not really sure where the game wants me to go next. It said to unfreeze the planet and report back because an ability lie there. Instead, I unfroze the planet and just explored, and found a different ability (presumably, since it wasn’t in the previously frozen area). But when I finally came back to that area I explored every square inch of it and there’s nothing else left to find, ability wise. So I figure I’ll just hop from area to area, filling in the map and getting all the secrets I missed, and eventually I’ll end up where I need to go.

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH there ya go. No rush. I forgot what I did once I un-froze the planet. I may have done a little exploring, but im typically a point A to point B gamer. Very rarely will I wander. I also kind of wanted to clear up the game as I was considering dying light for tomorrow. So now I'm wide open for it.

The good thing about dread is the game is easily replayable due to its length and fluid gameplay. Not to mention, how many things I missed on my first playthrough. So with that said, I'll be coming back to it in the future.

NintendoByNature

Bolt_Strike

@JaxonH The Screw Attack? That was in the area that was frozen, that was the one they wanted you to get. There's nothing in Cataris after you unfreeze the area. The next powerup is in a different area (and Adam just tells you "find out what new areas you can explore with the Screw Attack"), so now is a good time for backtracking anyway.

And yes, right now you should be able to access anything that doesn't require using the Morph Ball over multiple rows of cracked blocks, the purple doors, and some of the Power Bomb expansions that require the actual Power Bombs. Those require abilities you don't have yet.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

yokokazuo

@DarthNocturnal took a bit of getting used to, but what I found the most useful if you’re in a spin jump is to press Y to fire and get out of spin jump, then press B right after to prepare the shine spark, then just the direction. Should usually work with that.

Just beat Hard for the first time at 2:49 yesterday!
I was following the steps used in the most recent speedruns and attempting all the glitches and sequence breaks. Some of them are really tricky and took me several tries, but I managed to do just about all of them, my in game time is just over an hour longer than the current world record.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

blaisedinsd

Where is a good speed run guide to check, just watching YouTube videos?

I beat the game Sunday and 100% artaria and I guess I will go for 100% items before trying hard mode and then maybe try speed running.

On thing if you get a fast completion time does it unlock all the slower time rewards too?

SW-7087-5868-6390

yokokazuo

@blaisedinsd here’s a couple I followed.

HardPelicn, the first one also posts some guides on how to perform some glitches.
And yes, so if you beat the game under 4 hours, you get the 8 hour and base rewards as well. Only for that difficulty btw. I still need to beat normal mode under 4 hours now.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

jump

Getting the timing right on the E.M.M.I encounters is incredibly satisfying, it's probably been the highlight of the game for me.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic