Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 641 to 660 of 862

BlueMonk

I am 99% completion on my normal save but the last item to get, I am not sure I can do it on the standard switch controller. I will have to borrow my friends pro controller. It’s the only time in the game you have to do it, but shinespark in mid air is a pain with the standard controller. The right analog stick is right in my way. There are a few items that if you can shinespark in mid air it’s ideal but you don’t have to. This one, you have to do it a few times in a row.

On my Hard save file I just passed the half way point and it’s been far easier than my first run on normal. The enemies hit harder but now that I know the game, I have been cruising.

Edited on by BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Namco

@Bolt_Strike @NintendoByNature There's one more thing that can make the third phase a lot easier:

The giant sunbeam can easily be destroyed by charging a power bomb, it even gives you plenty of health and ammo! Destroying it makes that phase a lot easier, those shockwaves are pretty hard to avoid.

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

RR529

I got this in over the weekend and have been working on it, but not too far in yet. Recently obtained the Morph Ball.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

@Octane
In the select instances you can't backtrack because it blocks off access, if you just play the game for 10 minutes you'll have access to backtrack again. Obviously, there are certain areas you can't access without the appropriate powers. But you can definitely go back through all the areas if you want. The times it walls off access is almost always momentary to keep the player from getting lost as they progress, and then once that little loop of progress is made, you're all open again. So ya, you're never more than 10 min away from backtracking if you need to.

2 questions. How many life tanks do you have? What's the last power up you obtained?

Also, you played DKC, so I know you can do this. My advice is to not focus on changing the controls, but rather, learning to master them as they are. Sure, you can reassign buttons in settings but, I genuinely feel the buttons are most ideal- it's just a matter of mastery.

I would finish the progression of whatever loop you're on until it winds you back to a previously explored area. At that point, I would backtrack to find life tanks. Depending on your abilities it may not be worth it yet. Not sure how far you are. But I have 8 life tanks just after scan pulse. I had 5 life tanks when I got the grapple beam. I haven't fully backtracked yet. Waiting for closer to the end before making one final pass.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BlueMonk

Shinespark in mid air is terrible. Hitting Y+B with that analog stick in the way is misery. I either have to change the scheme just for that or use a Pro controller.

Edited on by BlueMonk

BlueMonk

BenGrimm

Just finished the game for the first time (20 hours) and I’m blown way by it. Easily my favourite 2D Metroid and right up there with Prime. The EMMI sections really do give you a sense of dread, the bosses are tough but fair and the whole thing looks great and feels really polished. The new power ups and controls make Samus feel unstoppable at times.

BenGrimm

Bolt_Strike

@Rayla Huh, never thought to try a Power Bomb. Obviously the Storm Missiles don't work on it, so I thought it was indestructible. Wish I'd have known this when I was fighting Raven Beak.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

BlueMonk

My only issue with the game is the 100%. It wasn’t hard to find the power ups or how to get them. But I had to fight with the controller to get some of them and it just wasn’t fun.

That’s it though. Take away some of the obnoxious platforming and more reward for simply exploring/discovering and it’s perfect. As it is, I hate shinespark.

There is only one item in the game that’s truly unbearable though.

BlueMonk

OldManHermit

Just beat the game this morning. Wooo, that final boss was a doozy. Really quite excellent, definitely up there with the greats of the series.

OldManHermit

BenGrimm

@Classic603

Burenia probably. Not normally a water level fan but the backgrounds were lovely to look at as you explored.

BenGrimm

Classic603

@BenGrimm

Yes! I knew I was gonna enjoy Ghavoran but Burenia's haunting stormy sea and depths REALLY pulled me in. One of the few tracks I enjoyed as well.

Classic603

Octane

@JaxonH 9 life bars, and 152 missiles. The last power up I got was the five homing missiles I think.

I'm currently doing the Experiment boss fight. I think I've been stuck in this ''loop'' for the last couple of boss fights. But based on context, I assume it opens up again after this fight.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
Gotchya. You’re doing pretty good then! I just hit 8 life tanks and am now fighting a boss that flies. Died the first try, and immediately felt that “ooh this is gonna be a battle to the bitter end, let me prepare psychologically, go make some coffee, eat some beef stew, and come back in full force”.

That purple EMMI is relentless lol. I tried backtracking to explore something I saw on the map, and he would not let me back through. I think I died to him so many times I eventually started getting the timing down for the counter. The last run I did a “rejected! Get that crap out of here! Audios!” And made it through. Turns out I couldn’t get the secret because I didn’t have the right power. So I just reloaded my last save point to avoid going back through again.

But ya. We shall prevail!

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH The purple EMMI is awful lol. Don't know how I managed to avoid it, but I'm not planning on going back anytime soon.

I think the EMMI counters are randomised, so it's impossible to predict.

Octane

I-U

I corrected my file's stats yesterday and now actually see 100% when on my selection screen. Much more enjoyable collecting that time around, and credit to Metroid Dread for being enjoyable enough to where I would even consider redoing the clean up in the first place. I then went right into trying to go for the game's time-based endings. I'm going for sub-4 hours on Normal and then will try to replicate that success for Hard Mode. Currently, I'm making my way through Burenia after Quiet Robe's assassination. It has been very satisfying taking down these bosses/mid-bosses this run. The second major boss did kill me several times, but I was also being really cocky about the fight too having watched the encounter many times this past week in speedrun streams. I think that is definitely my favorite iteration of that beast in the series.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

DarkGeno

Really enjoying my first 2D Metroid experience. One thing that seems a little odd to me so far are the transition cutscenes. I feel like they could have gave Samus a bit more personality while riding the elevators/trams. One could argue that silently standing there adds to the dread aspect, but honestly it just feels awkward to me. At least have her fiddle around with her gadgets or something.

DarkGeno

Tendo64

DarkGeno wrote:

Really enjoying my first 2D Metroid experience. One thing that seems a little odd to me so far are the transition cutscenes. I feel like they could have gave Samus a bit more personality while riding the elevators/trams. One could argue that silently standing there adds to the dread aspect, but honestly it just feels awkward to me. At least have her fiddle around with her gadgets or something.

I get the impression those elevator/tram cutscenes are just fronts for loading screens.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Gamer83

@JaxonH
I'm going back now on my original file, which I was just at 57% completed when I beat the final boss, to try and clean up what I missed. Want to get the different art work.

Gamer83

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic