Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 201 to 220 of 2,057

Nicolai

In previous Zelda Mario (heh ^.^) games, you can sacrifice your Yoshi for your selfish desire to reach the goal. In Super Mario Odyssey, you can now sacrifice your hat to the bullet bill.
Untitled

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

jump

Nicolai wrote:

In previous Zelda games,

Is Zelda on your mind?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Nicolai

Obviously. Was Link and his Master Cycle not the star of Zelda Kart 8?

I'll go crawl in my hole now >.>

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Emperor-Palpsy

Dev wrote:

I don't understand why Nintendo wants to put off the game's release so far even though it's "considerably finished" unless they really want to try spacing out releases.

A 3D Mario game is always going to be one Nintendo's 'big hitters', along with the likes of Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and, arguably into the future, Splatoon.

Thankfully, Nintendo have learned that games such as these are akin to pillars, holding much of the success of the said system. So they're spacing the releases out tactically in order to generate a consistent amount of interest in Switch; the same of which cannot be said about Wii U.

Zelda appeals to the core gamer and long-time Nintendo fans, which makes it suitable for creating that initial buzz for the system's launch. Then we have Mario Kart in late spring, Splatoon in summer and Super Mario Odyssey right before Christmas. The appeal of Mario is so great that it makes sense for the franchise to have its limelight when people are out choosing Christmas presents!

So before the year is even up, we're already treated to four incredible games. Next year and beyond? There's still the matter of Smash Bros, Metroid, Pikmin, Mario Party and more...

cackle

Octane

@Emperor-Palpsy Nintendo owns Xenoblade though, with the acquirement of Monolith Soft in 2007.

Octane

MumboJumbo

@Dev

I think there was a portrait of Yoshi in Ocarina of Time.

MumboJumbo

Haru17

There could be an Isle Delfino, Luigi's Mansion, or Mario Galaxy level of this game. Think of that. Just that possibility has me so very jazzed about it.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

KirbyTheVampire

Haru17 wrote:

There could be an Isle Delfino, Luigi's Mansion, or Mario Galaxy level of this game. Think of that. Just that possibility has me so very jazzed about it.

The randomness of the game is super exciting to me. The fact that levels like the ones you mentioned could even be a possibility is really cool. With Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2, you kinda knew what you were getting for the most part, especially Sunshine, but this feels a lot like Mario 64 in that all the stages/worlds are totally random. In general though, I'm really happy that we're getting a Mario game that isn't totally linear. I honestly didn't like Galaxy 1 and 2 very much at all, but Sunshine and 64 were phenomenal games, Sunshine especially IMO. They had more flaws than the Galaxy games, but something about the openness and general feel of those games really appealed to me for some reason. I hope Odyssey lives up to the standard those two games set, and maybe even surpasses it.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

With Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2, you kinda knew what you were getting for the most part, especially Sunshine

That's why I love the level design in Sunshine. They had to work with limited options, every level was set on a tropical island, and yet every level is unique and visually distinct from another.

Octane

KirbyTheVampire

Octane wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

With Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2, you kinda knew what you were getting for the most part, especially Sunshine

That's why I love the level design in Sunshine. They had to work with limited options, every level was set on a tropical island, and yet every level is unique and visually distinct from another.

Oh for sure, man. Pretty much all of Sunshine's levels were awesome. Certainly more memorable than Galaxy 1/2. I just find the randomness of Odyssey pretty cool, but I certainly wouldn't complain about a general theme like Sunshine had. Clearly Nintendo can pull it off very well.

KirbyTheVampire

LzWinky

I know Odyssey will be good. No 3D Mario has disappointed me

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

Cake worlds are predictable Mario levels at this point, just look at Mario Kart and NSMBU. I am the least hyped about the pastel polygon desert world. They've shown no interesting features from it and it just looks like an excuse to save on asset production.

The rest of the game, though, great. I hope we get maybe a few more of these worlds — I don't imagine there will be too many.

Octane

@Haru17 I think less is more in this case. I take 10 interesting levels over 50 forgettable levels any day.

Octane

Haru17

@Octane Of course. They couldn't add that many open world levels anyway. For comparison, Dragon Age: Inquisition has the same structure of separate open world zones the player travels to, and that game had 10 areas of varying size plus a few towns, hubs, dungeons, and one full zone as DLC (which could also make sense for Mario).

Then again, the cake world looks like an indie game and couldn't have taken as much work as the rest of them, so who knows how many there'll be.

jump

I'm surprised people are leering/celebrating the variety of levels when we have really seen next to nothing of the game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

KirbyTheVampire

jump wrote:

I'm surprised people are leering/celebrating the variety of levels when we have really seen next to nothing of the game.

Well if it turns out to have a theme like Mario Sunshine, it's not like any theme I've ever heard of, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

Haru17

jump wrote:

People have already formed opinions of Zelda's DLC and English voice acting from one snippet of a trailer each.

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

jump wrote:

People have already formed opinions of Zelda's DLC and English voice acting from one snippet of a trailer each.

Remember when we thought Link might've been a girl in BOTW?

REMEMBER WHEN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG'S DESIGN CHANGED (any time)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic