Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 3,081 to 3,100 of 3,202

rallydefault

@toiletduck
I totally agree. I'm just... not a fan of Odyssey, really. After playing all of these older 3D Marios, I just feel they are so much better in most respects. I genuinely like the worlds better, I like the star/shine system better, I like the feel of Mario's movements better (I still think Odyssey controls feel a bit loose and somehow touchy all at the same time lol).

These games are from a time where I feel the collectible aspect of the 3D platformer hadn't yet hit saturation overload like we see in a lot of modern games. Odyssey's insane number of moons is just one example of this trend. I don't know why devs insist on doing stuff like that these days. I half expect the next 3D Mario to have some sort of crafting/cooking system where I need to gather 9 Shy Guy pelts to craft my next level of coin wallet lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Dezzy

Eel wrote:

I assume that includes all the blue coin shines (24 total).

Aha, that makes more sense now.

rallydefault wrote:

These games are from a time where I feel the collectible aspect of the 3D platformer hadn't yet hit saturation overload like we see in a lot of modern games. Odyssey's insane number of moons is just one example of this trend. I don't know why devs insist on doing stuff like that these days.

Quite a lot of people did dislike this, so hopefully they'll correct for it in the presumed sequel.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

MarioLover92

@Dezzy @Eel I think that the shine you get from beating Bowser counts too.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

My SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
My AC:NH Island: D-World
Switch Username: MarioFan92

Let me know if you've added my Switch friend code by replying to my comments.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | Twitter:

rallydefault

@Dezzy
That's good to hear. These older games show that you can easily have engaging collectible elements while keeping a good handle on going too far and still creating lots of play time and gameplay diversity.

rallydefault

RR529

Beat Galaxy last night with 91 Stars (I think I got all main & hidden Stars in the "big" galaxies, and all the 1 Star galaxies including the Trial galaxies. The only thing I skipped out on were the comet challenges).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

MarioLover92

@Ninjalaislit Yes I've seen it before. Pretty sure most of us here are aware of the camera control update, but thanks regardless.

Snatcher

@MarioLover92 Have you got 120 stars is galaxy yet bc I did and I'm now to burnt out of platformers to want to play luigi thats why I was looking to buy enter the gungeon but I'm buying it now.

Snatcher

SM3DASislit

@MarioLover92
I know that you and 1UP_Mario replied in the comment section on the article, but I didn't see anyone else from this forum (that I could think of) that made a comment on the article.
I figured that once it got announced, people would come back to this forum and throw theories around about this could mean.
With that being said, I have 3 theories to what this update means.
1. 3D All Stars will be available past March 31st. Why would they even bother updating it if this wasn't the case?
2. We will get updates for 3D All Stars every 2 months until March 31st.
3. Both of my theories are wrong, or are combined together somehow.

Edited on by SM3DASislit

SM3DASislit

ToadBrigade

@Ninjalaislit Honestly, I’m done with the game for a while. I played all three, but now it’s over. Definitely burnt out of 3D platformers for now.

Hollow Knight for Smash!

SM3DASislit

@ToadBrigade
Okay. I hope you had fun while playing them.
Did you beat all 3 games? I feel like I remember you posting about your progress a few times, but I don't remember if you talked about beating them.

SM3DASislit

MarioLover92

@Snatcher Yeah I got 120 stars. I'm playing other games right now so go ahead and get Enter the Gungeon.

@Ninjalaislit Yeah, who knows. I know that they once extended the deadline to get that jump rope game, so I'm hoping they at least do the same for 3D All-Stars and Fire Emblem.

Beaucine

I'll probably beat Galaxy tonight, since I'm about 100 stars in.

I still have Sunshine left, about halfway done. But I need a break from Mario. I love you, little plumber, but I've been jumping with you a lot this past month. A lot.

Beaucine

ToadBrigade

@Ninjalaislit Yeah, I got 120 stars/shines in each. I definitely had fun while playing it, especially finally getting the chance to play Galaxy and 64 for the first time. It was fantastic, but also a lot of Mario in a very short amount of time. I will go back to Galaxy as Luigi eventually!

Hollow Knight for Smash!

Slowdive

Good critique of Nintendo's treatment and stance towards fan projects and emulators.

While this is a OK collection of very great games, we should demand better from Nintendo.

You can take me out of the '90s, but not the '90s out of me.

SM3DASislit

@MarioLover92
Yeah, I'm hoping/thinking they will extend the deadline of 3D All Stars and SMB 35, but I'm not sure about Fire Emblem.

SM3DASislit

SM3DASislit

@ToadBrigade
Awesome. That's good that you had fun.
That's right I believe I now remember you saying about playing 64 and Galaxy for the first time a while back.
Haha, good point.

SM3DASislit

SM3DASislit

@Slowdive
Honestly, I was fine with what we got in the 3D All-Stars Collection. I wasn't expecting a lot of changes to begin with, except for some minor gameplay and camera tweaks to make some levels less frustrating.

SM3DASislit

TheFrenchiestFry

I was expecting something more than just three rom dumps at full price lmao

All Stars on Wii at least came with some good physical goodies that increased the value of having the games on a disc as a novelty despite the games being practically untouched from their SNES counterparts.

This is definitely not worth $60 USD/$80 CAD

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

The 3 things missing that I feel prevents it from truly reaching "All Stars" status is:

• Galaxy 2 (the most important of the 3 points)
  • The ability to use a GC controller as a GC controller in Sunshine
  • Button mapping

The original All Stars for SNES contained all the NES 2D Mario games (SMB, SMB2 US, SMB2 Japan, SMB3) so for a 3D All Stars I would expect:

• Sunshine
  • Galaxy
  • Galaxy 2

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic