Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 3,101 to 3,120 of 3,171

Snatcher

@Balta666 I got it bc I really, Really, Really wanted to play those games, I waited all year for them, I needed them, Fomo for the most part, it was about 50/50 with the fomo and me wanting to actually play the games, So about 15% Fomo.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

🏳️‍⚧️

Anti-Matter

Balta666 wrote:

Did any of you bought the game on day one because of fomo or because you really wanted to play the games?

I bought 3D All Stars in March 2021, just only to secure Mario Sunshine.
But I didn't touch the game after I updated the game and played for several minutes to test the gameplay.
One thing, Super Mario Galaxy Switch version didn't have Mii option to choose your planet icon.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ReaperMelia

@Balta666 I got it day one because I was excited for the collection. I had never done a full playthrough of 64, I had never played Sunshine at all, and Galaxy was (and still is) my favorite Mario game. It would have been a day one buy for me with or without the limited printing period.

"Little by little. Each day as it comes. That's how we should live."

1UP_MARIO

Itsa Mario. It always is a day 1

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Grumblevolcano

Day 1 especially because of it being the first time Sunshine has been playable on a modern platform in around a decade.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Banjo-

I pre-ordered it because I didn't know how many copies they would make, the FOMO marketing was cruel and effective and overly ridiculous considering it's a collection of Mario games on a Nintendo console and Nintendo don't publish their games elsewhere. My excitement was because of Super Mario Sunshine, my favourite Mario 3D game and I confirmed that preference after replaying the games. The Super Mario 64 PC and 3DS ports are much better than Nintendo's (I got the 120 stars on each). It's not just the aspect ratio but it's more responsive on Nintendo 3DS (unofficial port) than on Switch (official re-release) and that is both crazy and true.

EDIT:
Oh and they didn't include Super Mario Galaxy 2...

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

MarioBrickLayer

@Balta666 I pre-ordered it because Sunshine is one of my favourite Mario games and I hadn't played Galaxy before and really wanted to, so FOMO wasn't really a concern for me, I was always going to get it day one!!

FOMO may be a factor if they did other collections for games I wasn't as desperate to play. Such as, if they did a classic racing collection (Wave Race: Blue Storm + F-Zero GX) it wouldn't be a day one purchase for me, but if it was a limited release I may end up pre-ordering it.

MarioBrickLayer

Balta666

Well I believe I got my point that for the most part Nintendo fans would buy it regardless of the time limit and I will add the more casual market did not even notice it as it saw the product on the shelf and bought it...

Balta666

Octane

Problem with Nintendo is that you don't know what limited means. Usually when their stuff is limited, it's extremely hard to get if you don't pre-order it. So that was definitely an additional incentive to get it day one. Hadn't it been advertised as a limited run, I maybe would've waited a little longer.

Octane

RR529

I was just really excited to play them.

Never had beaten 64 back in the day, never played Sunshine at all, and Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, so there was reason enough for me to be excited for all 3.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Banjo-

Balta666 wrote:

Well I believe I got my point that for the most part Nintendo fans would buy it regardless of the time limit and I will add the more casual market did not even notice it as it saw the product on the shelf and bought it...

That sounds like a Nintendo-lawyer perspective.

Octane wrote:

Problem with Nintendo is that you don't know what limited means. Usually when their stuff is limited, it's extremely hard to get if you don't pre-order it. So that was definitely an additional incentive to get it day one. Hadn't it been advertised as a limited run, I maybe would've waited a little longer.

I agree.

Banjo-

SKTTR

I wanted SM64 and Sunshine in HD, so I got it day one anyway.
The price was fine, considering a used copy of old Sunshine alone is more expensive than the whole collection.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Tendo64

Matt_Barber wrote:

That's FOMO marketing for you.

It's the fear of missing out that sells, not whether it's realistically likely to happen.

My point exactly. Worked a treat on me, too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

SpringDivorce

So, I still don't get why anyone would think 64 a better game than Sunshine in this day and age?

SpringDivorce

rallydefault

@SpringDivorce
I beat both again with this collection, and I would hands-down play 64 over Sunshine.

Sunshine made me want to die inside. Only 3D Mario I ever did the bare minimum and it still felt painful just to get to the end.

The FLUDD controls are just gross to me. I've played for dozens upon dozens of hours and it just hasn't clicked for me. So, yea...not fun at all. For me.

rallydefault

Matt_Barber

Yeah, it mostly comes down to FLUDD, which makes it a lot less intuitive to play than the other 3D Mario games. I'd also throw in the insanely finicky shines that you'll need to 100% the game.

That's not to say that I think Sunshine is terrible. For the most part, it's a fun game to play and it still looks great, especially with the tweaks that were added in 3D All Stars. There are just a few parts to it that let the side down.

Mario 64 might look old and be a bit clunky to play but there's nothing about it that sticks out as particularly annoying.

Matt_Barber

SKTTR

SpringDivorce wrote:

So, I still don't get why anyone would think 64 a better game than Sunshine in this day and age?

Maybe because Sunshine just built on the foundation that 64 laid down and is therefore not such a milestone in gaming history?
Maybe because Sunshine has just one theme (island) and 64 has more variety?
Maybe because Sunshine's Fludd is a bit of its own thing and deters a little too much from usual Mario movesets?
Maybe because Sunshine isn't as nostalgic and has not been played by as many people as 64?
Maybe because in my recent playthrough (on Super Mario 3D All-Stars) I enjoyed collecting Super Mario 64's 120 stars once again, while Sunshine's couple last stars give me the fear?
Who knows?

I think both are great, heck all three are great.
But 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy says my personal fun-o-meter.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

SpringDivorce

Weird. One thing I absolutely could not get past this time was the camera in 64. I was really, really excited to play it again, but the camera, is so poor that I simply couldn't force myself through it.

I wouldn't have wanted FLUDD to become a regular thing, but in this one game it's a nice change up to the usual moveset.

64 was definitely more groundbreaking, agreed, and I'm fully aware there's a lot more nostalgia for it, but I honestly thought more people might have changed their minds going back.

SpringDivorce

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic