Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 3,061 to 3,080 of 3,125

MarioBrickLayer

@Balta666 I pre-ordered it because Sunshine is one of my favourite Mario games and I hadn't played Galaxy before and really wanted to, so FOMO wasn't really a concern for me, I was always going to get it day one!!

FOMO may be a factor if they did other collections for games I wasn't as desperate to play. Such as, if they did a classic racing collection (Wave Race: Blue Storm + F-Zero GX) it wouldn't be a day one purchase for me, but if it was a limited release I may end up pre-ordering it.

MarioBrickLayer

Octane

Problem with Nintendo is that you don't know what limited means. Usually when their stuff is limited, it's extremely hard to get if you don't pre-order it. So that was definitely an additional incentive to get it day one. Hadn't it been advertised as a limited run, I maybe would've waited a little longer.

Octane

RR529

I was just really excited to play them.

Never had beaten 64 back in the day, never played Sunshine at all, and Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, so there was reason enough for me to be excited for all 3.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Banjo-

Balta666 wrote:

Well I believe I got my point that for the most part Nintendo fans would buy it regardless of the time limit and I will add the more casual market did not even notice it as it saw the product on the shelf and bought it...

That sounds like a Nintendo-lawyer perspective.

Octane wrote:

Problem with Nintendo is that you don't know what limited means. Usually when their stuff is limited, it's extremely hard to get if you don't pre-order it. So that was definitely an additional incentive to get it day one. Hadn't it been advertised as a limited run, I maybe would've waited a little longer.

I agree.

Banjo-

SKTTR

I wanted SM64 and Sunshine in HD, so I got it day one anyway.
The price was fine, considering a used copy of old Sunshine alone is more expensive than the whole collection.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Tendo64

Matt_Barber wrote:

That's FOMO marketing for you.

It's the fear of missing out that sells, not whether it's realistically likely to happen.

My point exactly. Worked a treat on me, too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

SpringDivorce

So, I still don't get why anyone would think 64 a better game than Sunshine in this day and age?

SpringDivorce

rallydefault

@SpringDivorce
I beat both again with this collection, and I would hands-down play 64 over Sunshine.

Sunshine made me want to die inside. Only 3D Mario I ever did the bare minimum and it still felt painful just to get to the end.

The FLUDD controls are just gross to me. I've played for dozens upon dozens of hours and it just hasn't clicked for me. So, yea...not fun at all. For me.

rallydefault

Matt_Barber

Yeah, it mostly comes down to FLUDD, which makes it a lot less intuitive to play than the other 3D Mario games. I'd also throw in the insanely finicky shines that you'll need to 100% the game.

That's not to say that I think Sunshine is terrible. For the most part, it's a fun game to play and it still looks great, especially with the tweaks that were added in 3D All Stars. There are just a few parts to it that let the side down.

Mario 64 might look old and be a bit clunky to play but there's nothing about it that sticks out as particularly annoying.

Matt_Barber

SKTTR

SpringDivorce wrote:

So, I still don't get why anyone would think 64 a better game than Sunshine in this day and age?

Maybe because Sunshine just built on the foundation that 64 laid down and is therefore not such a milestone in gaming history?
Maybe because Sunshine has just one theme (island) and 64 has more variety?
Maybe because Sunshine's Fludd is a bit of its own thing and deters a little too much from usual Mario movesets?
Maybe because Sunshine isn't as nostalgic and has not been played by as many people as 64?
Maybe because in my recent playthrough (on Super Mario 3D All-Stars) I enjoyed collecting Super Mario 64's 120 stars once again, while Sunshine's couple last stars give me the fear?
Who knows?

I think both are great, heck all three are great.
But 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy says my personal fun-o-meter.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

SpringDivorce

Weird. One thing I absolutely could not get past this time was the camera in 64. I was really, really excited to play it again, but the camera, is so poor that I simply couldn't force myself through it.

I wouldn't have wanted FLUDD to become a regular thing, but in this one game it's a nice change up to the usual moveset.

64 was definitely more groundbreaking, agreed, and I'm fully aware there's a lot more nostalgia for it, but I honestly thought more people might have changed their minds going back.

SpringDivorce

Banjo-

Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking. I have played Super Mario 64 many times since it was released and when I played Super Mario 3D Almost-All-Stars on Switch, 100% each game, I didn't change my mind. Super Mario Sunshine is the best Mario 3D game. The most unfair thing about it was mentioned by someone else on this thread, when you fail Lily Pad Ride you are kicked out of the world, not out of the trial, out of the world. I find Super Mario Odyssey extremely boring and the Super Mario Galaxy games are linear and action-oriented. FLUDD is a great gameplay addition because it allows Mario to do awesome things. Super Mario Sunshine is as great as Super Mario World, they both allow players to be more creative with physics and acrobatics than the other Mario 3D and 2D games. They are very rewarding platformers.

Banjo-

WoomyNNYes

Could use some help.

I'm stuck. First time playing through Mario 64. Each painting/world (that I can find) has all stars completed. I've got 26 or 27 stars. Now I have no idea how to progress. I'm sure what I'm supposed to be doing.

Now, I recall finding a weird area in the castle, halls going all over the place, I didn't know what was going on. Are there secret castle stars in there that I need to trigger the next event in the game?

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

1UP_MARIO

@WoomyNNYes go to the basement I think next to lethal lava land there is a door swim inside the water at the end you will find two pillars. Ground pound them both the water should go

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

MarioVillager92

@WoomyNNYes There's also what appears to be a dead end when you take a left turn at Lethal Lava Land's painting. Did you happen to go to that world by any chance? If you have, my apologies.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Bolt_Strike

@WoomyNNYes It sounds like you just don't know where all of the main levels are. You should be able to get well more than 27 stars even without those levels. The first floor gives you access to 5 levels, each of which has 7 stars (6 episodes + 1 for collecting 100 coins). Not all of the episodes are accessible from the start, you need to unlock different cap powerups in order to get some of them, but there's also some Secret Stars you can get as well (although by now all of those caps are obtainable). At this point in the game you should be able to get more than 60 if you know where everything is, your problem seems to be that you just don't know where the levels are. Here's a checklist just in case:

#1: Bob-omb Battlefield: On the main room of the first floor, go in the blank door on the left.
#2: Whomp's Fortress: After you have 1 star, go in the middle right door on the main room of the first floor.
#3: Jolly Roger Bay: After you have 3 stars, go in the far right door on the main room of the first floor (the door on the opposite side of the room from the Bob-omb Battlefield door).
#4: Cool Cool Mountain: After you have 3 stars, go in the middle left door on the main room of the first floor.
#5: Big Boo's Haunt: After you have 12 stars, go to the Courtyard (if you don't know where it is, go through either of the wooden doors in the middle of the main room of the first floor, then proceed through the door on the opposite end of the next room). The Courtyard will now be full of Boos. In the far left side of the Courtyard you should see a slightly larger Boo than the others. Defeat it (the conventional way to defeat Boos in this game is to circle behind it and punch, but if that's too difficult for you, an easier way would be to backflip over it and Ground Pound) and it will spawn a small cage, when you go near it you will shrink down and enter the level.
#6: Hazy Maze Cave: After you have the Basement Key, go down to the Basement and go straight through the curved hallway into the next room. Make a right, then a left, and you'll be in a mazelike room with some water soaked areas. Go to the back-right corner of the room and you should see a blank door. Go through it and you'll see a room with a pool of black ooze/oil. Jump inside and you'll go to Hazy Maze Cave.
#7: Lethal Lava Land: This one is marked Level 7, but it'll probably be the first one you encounter in the Basement. In the mazelike, water soaked room, if you go straight after the first turn, you'll see a fiery looking painting dead ahead. Jump inside to go to Lethal Lava Land.
#8 Shifting Sand Land: From the Lethal Lava Land portal, make a left, then another left. You'll hit a dead end, but the back wall is actually a hidden painting (bump against it and it'll ripple like other paintings). Jump inside to go to Shifting Sand Land.

If you need any further help, such as finding the caps, let us know.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic