Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,961 to 2,980 of 3,085

link3710

@ToadBrigade Same. Rainbow Ride's top of the castle one was harder (...mostly because I stopped paying attention and died several times because it's just so long with nothing to do and I have attention span issues). Tick Tock Clock's basically requires you to get the blue coins, which have one of the worst camera issues in the entire game to try and get past.

link3710

ToadBrigade

@link3710 for me it wasn’t so much the blue coins, which are pretty easy with the Mario cam, but instead I would get so close to the top, after collecting most of the coins I needed, before falling and having to start over.

Hollow Knight for Smash!

1UP_MARIO

@ToadBrigade falling off is the fun bit. You get to do it all again. Great level 😉

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Beaucine

@ToadBrigade

I just found the blue coins in Rainbow Ride much harder to get than the ones in Tick Tock, where I never had a problem with that walkway. You have enough time to cross it slowly or long-jump across the chasm, if you're feeling bold. Rainbow Ride, meanwhile, barely gives you enough seconds to wall-jump to the top of the maze and get the blue coins. It demands perfection.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

Zeldafan79

Well i think i was just reminded of my most hated shine sprite in sunshine! The one where you gotta use Yoshi spit to clear the yellow goo off the pipe on the little island. It's bad enough even attempting to reach the island without falling in the water and having yoshi dissolve but then you gotta go down this big water rafting thing on a leaf collecting red coins. Odds are you'll miss one and have to do it all over. UGH!

Oh you can try walking along those thin ass side walls trying to get back to the start for another attempt to get the rest but good luck with that! There really should have been some kinda warp to take you to the start of the water raft part in case you mess up. I friggin hate that one!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

Zeldafan79

Yosher

@Zeldafan79 At least there's a glitch you can use to get Yoshi over to that island without having to wait for the boat, managing to get Yoshi walking underwater.

You can say "that's not the legit way", but who cares in this case? Getting Yoshi there doesn't take much skill and mostly just requires a lot of waiting. And waiting is not why any of us play Mario games I'd imagine.

Yoshi!

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7434-8383 | Nintendo Network ID: Yosher

Zeldafan79

@Yosher
Didn't know about the glitch but yeah any part of this game where you gotta use Yoshi was a nightmare!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

Zeldafan79

Yosher

@Zeldafan79 Might be me being a Yoshi fan but I beg to differ, most stages where you use Yoshi, aside from that one you mentioned, is pretty fun to me. Yoshi just controls better than Mario for me overall though in this game aside from being allergic to water.

Anyway if you want to do that glitch you can see it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCPXiPxMkHA

Keep in mind that once you clipped through you gotta jump up as the underground you'll be on will actually kill you if you stand on it too long.

Yoshi!

Ralizah

Yoshi wasn't too bad in Sunshine.

Galaxy 2, though? Total nightmare.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

Zeldafan79

@Yosher
Perhaps I'm being a little too hard on Yoshi or maybe i just miss the days when you could drop him in the water or off a cliff and it didn't matter like in super mario world. I never liked in sunshine how touching water kills him. Anyway I'll check out this glitch everybody's talking about. Sounds interesting!

Zeldafan79

Yosher

@Ralizah Whuh? Yoshi was awesome in Galaxy 2.

Yoshi!

1UP_MARIO

@Yosher wasn’t just awesome. Levels with yoshi in them were brilliant in galaxy 2 and he also has power ups

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Octane

I found the Yoshi defenders.

Octane

MarioLover92

@Zeldafan79 Yeah I've always hated how you lose Yoshi if you get in the water. It makes zero sense...you could swim with Yoshi in Super Mario World but not in Sunshine??? This reminds me of that shine in Ricco Harbor where you need to use Yoshi to make those moving platforms. Every time you fall in the water, you have to swim all the way back, then continually ground pound those pegs to get his wanted fruit to appear. Which is all left to RNG. It's one of my least favorite missions in the game, honestly...because of how draining it can be.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I've always found Yoshi's tongue to be pretty finicky in Sunshine. It seems to aim all over the place, so I had my fair share of missing whatever I had Yoshi gobble up.

Edited on by MarioLover92

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

My SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
My AC:NH Island: D-World
Switch Username: MarioFan92

Let me know if you've added my Switch friend code by replying to my comments.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

As much as I love Sunshine, its implementation of Yoshi definitely left much to be desired. Putting Yoshi on a (albeit generous) time limit and having him die when he touches water greatly limited his utility and made me not want to use him any more than I had to. Galaxy 2 definitely did Yoshi better. Everyone's also forgetting Yoshi's inclusion in 64 DS, but that pretty much deserves to be forgotten because there's no reason to use Yoshi after you unlock the plumbers (or more likely, Luigi, unless you hate utterly breaking the game with his abilities) aside from the few missions that require him. Although Yoshi does have some neat abilities in that game and it's a shame they weren't utilized more.

Yoshi really needs his own 3D game though instead of just cameos in Mario's 3D games (as in, a 3D Woolly World/Crafted World type of game). Everyone talks about Kirby, but Kirby isn't the only platformer that's gone far too long without making the jump to 3D.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Eel

Apparently, the in-universe explanation is that Yoshi, along with all the monsters that are weak to water, are creations drawn by Bowser Jr with his magic brush.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Marioman2020

@Zeldafan79 No, the most annoying one for me is the Dirty Lake's Secret in Bianco Hills. I tried for 1 1/2 hours and still can't beat it!

Favorite Games:
1.Super Mario 3D All-Stars
2. Smash Ultimate
3. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
4. Among us
5. Super Mario Maker 2
6. Super Mario Odyssey
7. Super Mario Bros. 2
8. Super Mario Bros. 3
9. Super Mario Bros. 35

Eel

These are manageable because there's always an easy extra life near the start, so you have infinite tries.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Yosher

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Yoshi really needs his own 3D game though instead of just cameos in Mario's 3D games (as in, a 3D Woolly World/Crafted World type of game). Everyone talks about Kirby, but Kirby isn't the only platformer that's gone far too long without making the jump to 3D.

Couldn't agree more here. Particularly in his latest 3D Mario cameo appearance Yoshi has controlled like an absolute dream to me and I wish they would make a game around Yoshi's mechanics from there.

There WAS a 3D Yoshi game in the works once but it wasn't by Nintendo and they didn't approve of it either, so then it became Croc. I still wonder what that game would have been like, and how the Yoshi series would have been overall these days, if Nintendo approved the game back then... maybe it would be more on the same general level as the Donkey Kong Country series rather than being a niche series that only gets a good game every once in a while with the rest being mediocre to outright bad.

Yoshi!

Marioman2020

@Yosher I might just be being stupid, but wasn't yoshi's story for the N64 3D?

Favorite Games:
1.Super Mario 3D All-Stars
2. Smash Ultimate
3. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
4. Among us
5. Super Mario Maker 2
6. Super Mario Odyssey
7. Super Mario Bros. 2
8. Super Mario Bros. 3
9. Super Mario Bros. 35

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic