Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 2,941 to 2,960 of 3,125

Snatcher

My rating. Mario 64 6/10

Mario sunshine, 8/10

Mario galaxy, 10/10

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

WoomyNNYes

@Snatcher It only works after a mini game? I don't know what that means. You mean after winning a star or mission?

64 = poo/10
Sunshine = 7.5/10
Galaxy = barely played it.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Snatcher

@WoomyNNYes Its a mini game you play once you look up from the sun on the floor, its a winged cap mini game once you beat that you will unlock it for the other levels. (and remember go to the sun on the floor in peaches castle and then look up.)

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Snatcher

@WoomyNNYes I forgot to say this but you need to have 10 stars first then the light will show up in the middle of peaches castle.

Snatcher

@WoomyNNYes Ya mario galaxy is the best one for me.

Dezzy

God I forgot how terrible the camera is in Mario 64. Did they fix it in the DS version or something, because I don't remember it being so awful.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Sisilly_G

@Dezzy : There were criticisms about the DS version as well due to the lack of an analog stick (from memory). I'm not sure if this issue was inadvertently resolved with the inclusion of the Circle Pad on the 3DS, however.

I haven't played the DS version though, so I cannot comment on it, but I am tempted to source a DS copy as I would rather play the DS remake with its superior graphics/presentation over the barebones N64 port on Switch.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Anti-Matter

I have never played 64 version and Sunshine, but judging from the difficulty pikes.
N64 = 4 / 10 (Terrible 3D polygons)
Sunshine = 5 / 10
Galaxy = 6 / 10

Anti-Matter

MarioVillager92

Silly_G wrote:

@Dezzy : There were criticisms about the DS version as well due to the lack of an analog stick (from memory). I'm not sure if this issue was inadvertently resolved with the inclusion of the Circle Pad on the 3DS, however.

@Silly_G It wasn't really. Even when you're using the circle pad, you can still only move in 8 directions, so it's just the control pad again. It does feel a bit better on the thumb, but since it's obviously a DS game, it won't be magically reprogrammed to have 360-degree movement while you play it on the 3DS.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

brendathecat

I usually have a weird compulsion with mario games to end up with all the save files filled with 100% completion files (over the course of years mind!). However, with 3d allstars I have only played sunshine once - getting all shines apart from the blue coin ones - and galaxy once (100%). My least favourite of the 3 is Mario 64. but i have 4 save files on the go at various completion rates. It makes me rage how bad the controls are and camera yet the stars are so quick and easy to get a lot of the time that its a perfect 5 minute play type of mario game.
I see a lot of other people are now looking at mario 64 without having any nostalgic relationship to it and feeling it comes up short. I do like how you can go for any star at any time on it, and it broke new ground for platforming games. But some of the design flaws are staggering...
E.g. fall damage in a platform game (last time we could die from falling was donkey kong wasnt it?)
The absurdly clumsy turning circle on mario.
The wonky physics - especially in flight.
Anyway, rant over and back to Bowsers fury for a 3rd go around

Looking for animal crossing buddies on switch FC is SW-7803-7785-1593

Dezzy

@Silly_G

Yeah it's a lot better on the 3DS with the analog stick. That was different from the camera though!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TeeJay

Having only properly played Sunshine for the first time with this collection, I was really pissed off when I finally found out how progression actually works. It's tied to specifically getting the shines for chasing down Shadow Mario and NOTHING ELSE. Meaning any extra shines gained by doing anything beyond the bare minimum like blue coins or those torturous secret levels like the leaf riding or pachinko levels amount to literally ZERO unless you plan on going full 100%, which I was not. I went through all that crap and it was quite literally a complete and utter waste of time.

This was the biggest disappointment for me regarding this game in a long list of them, and this is coming from someone who has adored every other 3D Mario.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Octane

@TeeJay Levels and FLUDD upgrades unlock at specific levels, so they do count towards something.

But really, I don't get the complaint. That's like saying 99% of BOTW is a waste of time because you can go straight to Ganon. And there are more games you can play like that.

Octane

dionysos283

Preface: Mario 64 is my No. 1 nostalgia game. Sunshine and Galaxy I only played years later on emulation. So here's my (subjective) list:

Mario 64: 8/10
Like I said, high nostalgia. Great moveset and revolutionary for its time!

Mario Sunshine: 4/10
I could never get into this game. The missions are repetitive, the shine order is too linear and the game is buggy and glitchy as hell. Also the tropical island theme never appealed to me.

Mario Galaxy: 7/10
The graphics are great and the game is very well polished. But I don't like the course clear Mario style that began with Galaxy. I also don't like the more restricted controls and the mostly static camera.

dionysos283

jedgamesguy

@dionysos283 Agree with everything. Sunshine's a joke when it comes to fair level design.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

dionysos283

@TheJGG
Yeah, it's obvious that they rushed Sunshine to boost Gamecube sales (which it didn't). At least Nintendo learned from this experience.

dionysos283

TeeJay

@Octane It's not like BotW at all. Everything you do in BotW serves to make you just that little bit stronger and thus is satisfying to collect. None of it feels like a waste of time (until you max out your inventory size).

In Sunshine, going for any shines at all beyond the bare minimum does absolutely nothing for you, unless you happen to be going for 100%.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Maaryotyme

@TeeJay I think you would like the newer Mario games. They are easier

Maaryotyme

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic