Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 1,721 to 1,740 of 3,125

Mountain_Man

psychoBrew wrote:

I don't understand the hype around Super Mario 64 at all (this game would have felt dated to me when it was released in 1996).

No it wouldn't have. In 1996, there was really nothing else on the market to compete with SM64. It took 3D platforming to the next level and set the standard for all future 3D platforming games.

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

Tendo64 wrote:

Found Super Mario 64 more difficult/frustrating than I remember it to be...

I'm finding it easier than I remember, but that's probably because the first time I really played it outside of in-store demos was on the DS where the controls kinda sucked (the touch screen made for a really wonky analog control substitute).

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

dionysos283 wrote:

I know it’s Nintendo we are talking about here, but I hope they’ll patch in new features / enhancements, like 60fps and wide screen for Mario 64.

That would be a pretty significant change and not something I would expect in a patch. I would, however, think they could add configurable controls, but then, if that's something they were inclined to do then it would have been trivial to add during development. I suspect, at this point, this is the final version of this collection apart from bug fixes.

The Mountain Man

Losermagnet

I think I've finally hit the wall in 64. I've died more in Shifting Sand Land than all the other stages combined. 62 stars so far....but from here on out it gets ugly.

Is there a secret star for collecting 100 coins in Bowser stages? God I hope not.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

NintendoByNature

@Zeldafan79 pretty much the same feelings from me..first time a game ever blew my mind. I read the stories saw the commercials..but once I played at a neighbors I literally begged my parents for it every day until I eventually got it.

You just had to be there and feel it for the first time back when it happened

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

DenDen

Im surprised how many people picked this up I really am.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

megasean

For all those asking for configurable controls, has anyone considered that a recent Switch firmware update allows for system-wide configurable controls? It's not that hard to reset once you're done either.

3DS: 0834-4562-2419
Wii U/Switch: seandizz

Nintendo Network ID: seandizz

porto

@DenDen I'm surprised I picked this up myself.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Mountain_Man

megasean wrote:

For all those asking for configurable controls, has anyone considered that a recent Switch firmware update allows for system-wide configurable controls? It's not that hard to reset once you're done either.

You can't flip the joystick axis, which is primarily what I want in Sunshine, and you can't enable motion controls for aiming in handheld in Sunshine and Galaxy.

The Mountain Man

Ralizah

Ah, another joy of Mario 64: having no idea what elevation to aim the cannon at to get Mario to actually land where you want him to. It'd be too easy for him to go where you aim the cannon; no, instead, you have to kinda guesstimate where he'll land after painful trial and error episodes.

And, of course, almost any time you miss your target, Mario goes flying out of the level. So you have to jump back in the painting, and then trudge your way back to where the cannon is for another go.

@DenDen It's a Mario game, and a "limited release" at that. The few people not drawn to the game naturally will be motivated by FOMO.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

megasean

Ralizah wrote:

Ah, another joy of Mario 64: having no idea what elevation to aim the cannon at to get Mario to actually land where you want him to. It'd be too easy for him to go where you aim the cannon; no, instead, you have to kinda guesstimate where he'll land after painful trial and error episodes.

And, of course, almost any time you miss your target, Mario goes flying out of the level. So you have to jump back in the painting, and then trudge your way back to where the cannon is for another go.

I do understand what you mean, though like lots of Nintendo design, they give you the opportunity to use the cannon first on a level with no way to fly off. I think my resolve has been hardened by NES/SNES platformers (Mario games included) where you're going to die and miss your jump. Learning to make adjustments is part of the challenge, though this one takes a bit more of a puzzle/exploration bend as well.

megasean

Mountain_Man wrote:

megasean wrote:

You can't flip the joystick axis, which is primarily what I want in Sunshine, and you can't enable motion controls for aiming in handheld in Sunshine and Galaxy.

Good point. Those would have to be patched in.

Losermagnet

I concur that Super Mario 64 was an amazing experience at launch. My memory is a bit hazy but I think my family got an N64 on xmas of 96 with Super Mario 64. I was 8 and going from 2d to 3d was beyond compare. It felt like virtual reality or something.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

jump

@DenDen you’re surprised people on a Nintendo forum would buy a Mario game ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

Really enjoying Sunshine. I think it has the best pacing and structure out of the 3 games. It's main flaws are that the controls are really bad by modern standards. It's hard to compare to Galaxy because they're so different, but if you compare Sunshine to Odyssey it's really quite extraordinary how much better the controls are in Odyssey.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

blaisedinsd

Can anyone help me out and tell me if I have a problem.

My pointer on galaxy is nice and smooth with pro controller motion controls but when I try and do split joycon for a more authentic wii like experience my motion control pointer is very choppy.

Has anyone tried both control methods and did they notice any difference in the fluidity of the pointer controls.

Also I couldn’t figure out anyway to point while Ray surfing to gather bits.

SW-7087-5868-6390

porto

@Ralizah lord almighty those cannons sucked. I just used one to get up that island in the Bob-omb battlefield and failed six times solely on aiming.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Snatcher

@Dezzy same here but my GOD its hard i'm on the forth shine of the second world OMG.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Ralizah

@megasean Precision platforming is one thing. I can easily make precise jumps in older Mario games (well, not this one, but all the games before and since Mario 64). With the cannon, it's like the game expects you to make a mental footnote about the exact level of elevation you need to correct for. Not the same sort of thing at all, IMO.

@Apportal Oh yeah, it was a LOT of fun having to trek back to that cannon every time I missed that shot.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

@blaisedinsd

What do you mean by 'choppy'? I just tried it and they seam fine. The main difference is the pro controller has a higher sensitivity I think. Didn't notice much difference in smoothness though.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic