Forums

Topic: Football Manager 2018

Posts 41 to 60 of 133

5m0k3

@Lroy I also grew up playing the classic championship manager games of the late 90s early 2000s my all time favourite is championship manager 2001/02 what a game that was!!!
Their a bit more complex now than they were back in the old days but still huge amounts of fun, i like to think of this Switch version as as close as you can get to the feel of one of the classic era ones.
It's a lot better than the manager mode in the fifa games imo, i'd say spend the extra few quid and get stuck in ☺

5m0k3

5m0k3

My Brondby side is looking pretty good, lot of decent looking youngsters to build a side around.
Transfer budget of 900k which I'm guessing could be reasonable for Denmark and maybe enough to get one or two good homegrown players in, also going to be looking for a few possible bargains from the lower leagues in England...and debating whether to try and sign Kaka on a free!! He's 35 but should still be able to turn it on every now and again in the Danish premier league.
Don't think I'll be posing much of a threat in European competition for a few seasons though

Edited on by 5m0k3

5m0k3

NaviAndMii

@Lroy Yeah, I always enjoy reading other peoples' FM stories as well! (I'll be fascinated to hear how you get on managing Brondby this season, @5m0k3! )

As for the game, having some knowledge of modern football probably helps to a certain extent (eg. if you know a player in real life, they'll likely play quite similarly in the game - that kind of thing) - but it wouldn't be a total barrier if not.

Your staff (Assistant, Scouts etc) will give you solid advice, which certainly helps to make things a tad more accessible - for example, your Assistant Manager will assign each of your players a star rating out of 5, which makes things nice and clear where the strengths and weaknesses are in your team (ie. your '4 star' striker is likely to perform better than the '2 star' alternative) - likewise, your scouts will assign star ratings to potential transfer targets, so you can identify whether or not a player would improve your squad before you splash any cash ..they'll also, from the start of the game, be in control of some of the more complex tasks (like training, scouting etc) allowing you to just focus on the basics from the beginning - which I feel adds to the overall accessibility of the game

The main area which could be a potential hurdle is with the tactical side of things - but, again, the 'Touch' (Switch) version of the game is less punishing than its 'full fat' PC counterpart. On PC, you have to train your players to gain 'familiarity' with your tactics - so it often takes several in-game weeks/months just to identify whether you're on the right track or not. With the Switch version - they've taken out the 'familiarity' aspect - instead, a tactic will either work, or it won't...and you can keep changing or tweaking it to your hearts content! The game provides you with several tactical templates to choose from (if you wish) - all of which can be made to work with a bit of trial and error...and, unlike on PC, those tweaks and adjustments will take effect immediately, which helps you to zero in on striking the right balance far more quickly (giving you ample chance to turn things around if you get off to a shaky start)

Overall, Touch strikes a nice balance. It starts off as quite a 'casual' game where your staff do most things for you - and it can be played as a wholly casual experience if you'd favour that. It's not as daunting as its sister on PC, so makes for a great 'entry level' football management game in that regard...but for those seeking something a little deeper (closer to PC) it has you covered - you just take over additional responsibilities from your staff to add extra layers of challenge to your game ..they've made it so that it can be whatever type of management sim you want it to be, really - perfect for novices and 'pros' alike!

If you like football - and you like management sims - Touch is a great place to start...but, if you're unsure (and in the absence of a demo) it might be worth waiting for the inevitable price drop (perhaps pre-World Cup?) just to lower the risk

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Lroy

@5m0k3 @NaviAndMii Thanks gents, that is very useful and sage advice 👍

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

NaviAndMii

Oh man, time flies when you're having fun...I've managed to polish off my first season already!

...and my Ipswich team managed to finish first, earning promotion to the Premier League! Horray!

What a ride it was too! After making a tremendous start to the season - and maintaining good form throughout the winter - we opened up a 10 point lead at the top of the table...nothing could stop us!

Cue: Implosion!

A disastrous February was only topped by a truly abysmal March - and the lead evaporated! Leeds replaced us at the top - Fulham were only 2 points back...the fear of 'doing a Kevin Keegan' was slowing becoming an unpleasant reality!

...but then, out of nowhere, a precious win! - then another - and another - an unbeaten run, just in the nick of time, helped us to close out the season and claim the title! Phew!

I've already blown my (rather generous) £32million transfer kitty on some much needed reinforcements for the forthcoming season. I had somehow managed to get away with having 8 players in on loan in season 1, but am only allowed 2 this year - so I've needed to do quite a lot of business - but I think I've managed to fill my squad out pretty well...time will tell, I guess!

I was rather fascinated by the predicted top goalscorer odds for next season - no Salah, no Kane, no Aguero...

Untitled

...instead, Premier League flop Vincent Janssen is expected to discover some unexpected form and claim the golden boot! (...and - at 350-1 - my 3rd choice right winger, Modou Barrow, is predicted to be my top goalscorer! ..that does NOT bode well! )

Oh man, that was fun! I think I've probably got my Football Manager 'binge' out of my system now - and I'll likely take a bit more time chipping away at it from here on out - but, considering how much time I've already invested in this game, it's fair to say that I'm enjoying it a lot! ..really impressed with it - easily accessible, but still more than deep enough for experienced players - the perfect balance!

Awesomeness!

5m0k3 wrote:

My Brondby side is looking pretty good, lot of decent looking youngsters to build a side around.
Transfer budget of 900k which I'm guessing could be reasonable for Denmark and maybe enough to get one or two good homegrown players in, also going to be looking for a few possible bargains from the lower leagues in England...and debating whether to try and sign Kaka on a free!! He's 35 but should still be able to turn it on every now and again in the Danish premier league.
Don't think I'll be posing much of a threat in European competition for a few seasons though

Nice Kaka would be an epic signing - hope you get him!

Love a bit of youth development too! I've just promoted a young goalkeeper to my first team - he got in the team because of his potential, he's saying in the team because he does stuff like this...

...eccentric with a capital E!

Look forward to hearing how you get on in the Danish Superliga - and in Europe - this season!

5m0k3

@NaviAndMii Awesome i love reading other people's reports on their seasons, the tractor boys are back in the big time!!
I've only managed a few games so far drew my first 2 league games and managed to make it through to the 3rd qualifying phase of the Europa league we've drawn AA Gent in the next round which should be a stiffer challenge.
The Kaka deal fell through as he was too greedy but i have snapped up the maestro Andrea Pirlo on a free, I'm hoping he can pull the strings in midfield until he retires at the end of the season.
I should be able to fit in a few games while I'm in work today with a bit of luck lol

5m0k3

5m0k3

Has anyone worked out how to look at player histories? Have they not been included or am I just being stupid lol? Quite a big omission if they haven't been included

5m0k3

NaviAndMii

@5m0k3 Pirlo? The God?! What a signing! Hopefully he'll give you the edge against Gent in the next round of Europe!

What are your expectations for the season domestically? I remember Brondby being almost completely dominant in Denmark when I was younger - but I think, in recent seasons, clubs like Copenhagen and Midtjylland have provided some strong competition - should be a good challenge

I can't seem to find player histories either, which is a shame - they do seem to be there in the background, as I'm often getting messages referring to players' recent transfers/loan moves - but I'd have liked to have had direct access to the information, for sure...

I'm also finding it a bit of a pain that you have to individually set up Opposition Instructions for each match. My gameplan doesn't really change much from match-to-match (aside from being a little more cautious when playing away from home) - and I always instruct my players to play roughly the same way (mark the strikers tightly, close down always, tackle hard) - so it'd have really added to the QoL if I could just set up the Instructions once and forget about it, rather than having to input the same Instructions over and over again! ..especially as it's quite fiddly - ah well!

Talking of gameplan's, I think I'm going to have to reign things in a bit now that we're back in the big time - we managed to earn a fortuitous win in our opening match, away at fellow promoted side Aston Villa (despite being outplayed!) ..but, since then, we've suffered back-to-back home defeats at the hands of Arsenal (2-4) and West Ham (0-5) - the shortcomings of our fluid, attacking, passing style seem to be being ruthlessly exposed in the top flight! ..I've got a similar-but-slightly-more-conservative alternative tactic up my sleeve, which'll hopefully yield some better results - gotta show these clubs a bit more respect, I feel!

Still, onwards and upwards! **fingers crossed!**

Edited on by NaviAndMii

5m0k3

@NaviAndMii Yeah way back in the distant 90s when i was a kid Brondby were the top side in Denmark they've always produced good players that have gone on to bigger things as well (the Laudrup brothers etc).
Domestically this season the board want the league and cup double but I'll be happy with a top 3 finish and maybe winning the cup and getting through to the group stage of the Europa league.
Yeah not being able to find the player histories is a bit annoying as i like to see how potential signings have done throughout their careers, i also feel your pain about opposition instructions as like you i mostly play the same style apart from when I'm away.

5m0k3

NaviAndMii

@5m0k3 Yeah, I also miss having this screen for training:

Untitled

I find having a clear weekly 'schedule', as above, to be far more intuitive than the half-baked alternative on Touch...

However, aside from a few relatively minor complaints here-and-there (which will hopefully be addressed in sequels to come) - I'm, overall, really impressed with it ..having the ability to use both the Joy-Con AND touchscreen to control the game is pretty great too - surely makes the Switch release the 'definitive' version of FM Touch - definitely a solid 9/10 (at least) from what I've played so far

Rich10

Here's the official forums where you're able to post bugs or just generally chat about your FM stories: https://community.sigames.com/

Tactics, Training & Strategies Discussion & the Good Player & Team Guide forums are highly recommended places to visit for those newer to the game.

I didn't see this coming purely because they already have this on tablets, great news that it's here on the Switch.

Friend code: SW-2475-9405-1512

Danny-LFC

@5mok3 @NaviAndMii Player histories is on there. When you’re on the player screen, press the left shoulder button (L1?), in the top left you’ll see the sub-menu open with history on there, hope this helps!

Danny-LFC

5m0k3

@Danny-LFC Legend, cheers mate ☺ you enjoying it so far?

5m0k3

5m0k3

Been a bit slow going due to being in work but here's a bit of an update on the season so far....
4th in the league after 5 games which isn't ideal a 1-0 home loss to Lyngby being a particular low point, that was followed by coming back from 3-1 down to clinch a 3-3 draw with FC Copenhagen and then a 4-1 away win against Randers so things are looking up!! Teemu Pukki the big Finnish striker has found a bit of form and started knocking a few goals in and Andrea Pirlo is pulling the strings at the age of 38 paired in midfield with the young Lasse Vigge Christensen, Anthony Jung and Jacob Larsson are playing well at left and right back.
Also managed to knock AA Gent out in the 3rd qualifying phase went out to Belgium and parked the bus and came away with a 0-0 draw and then nicked it 1-0 in the return leg, however we've drawn Braga in the final qualifying playoff which could be a bit of a mountain to climb!!

Edited on by 5m0k3

5m0k3

NaviAndMii

@5m0k3 Yeah, I've only been able to squeeze a couple of matches in per day recently as well - still enjoying it (when I do get the chance to dip in) though!

Congrats on making it to the next Qualy round in Europe! Pairing Pirlo with some young, energetic legs in the centre of the park seems sensible - he can just walk about, pinging worldie passes right, left and centre - while the other guy does the bulk of the dog work for him! #Teamwork! ..good luck against Braga - and for the season ahead!

The step up to the Premier League has proven to be quite a challenge so far for my youthful Ipswich side! Having lost 8 (eight!) loan players in the summer, the squad needed to undergo a fairly substantial overhaul on quite a limited budget...I decided to splash out a bit of cash bringing in a couple of high-potential players (Marcus Edwards from Spurs and Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham) - topping up the squad with a number of young players who had been released/transfer listed and a couple of loanee's.

After a fairly disastrous start, we've somewhat managed to steady the ship - floating around the lower-mid table, just clear of the relegation zone...

Untitled

My board just want me to 'fight' to avoid relegation - so no real pressure - but, of course, anything other than survival (minimum) would be a failure if I'm being honest!

We were fairly unlucky in the League Cup - outplayed Leicester (away), but were wasteful in front of goal and eventually succumbed to an extra-time defeat. It's allowed us to focus on the league campaign though - and results seem to have turned around a bit...a four game unbeaten run steadied the ship - only to be brought to a halt with an unfortunate away defeat to Man United (twice lead, tired, two late goals denied us a point) - which triggered a three game winless run. The players are fighting though - and ground out a hard earned win at home to Brighton for another valuable 3 points...if we can just get to that golden 40 point mark, we'll have done okay!

Tough going though - could go down to the wire! ..will our lack of experience cost us in the end? Time will tell!

diditall4tanooki

Grew up on the Championship Manager games so I was really surprised and excited when I saw this suddenly appear on Switch. Sorry if I've missed this somewhere in the thread but are there micro-transactions in this game? And if so, how intrusive are they? Also, wondering if this iteration of the series follows the previous CM/FM versions in that you're pretty much invincible in your first season and will likely win at least one major trophy with whatever side you put out but everything goes pear-shaped from the second season onward? I remember putting a beast of a team together in FM 2005 with the likes of Ronaldinho, Del Piero, Cannavaro, etc. but I couldn't even finish off Division 3 teams in the FA Cup.

diditall4tanooki

gcunit

All this chatter is whetting my appetite somewhat, but there's no way I'm gonna let myself get this at full price.

What's the performance like. How long do you wait for the game to load from the home screen, how long waiting after you've played a match and the cpu is simulating the other scores etc?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NaviAndMii

@diditall4tanooki The Switch version of FM Touch doesn't appear to have the micro-transactions that are present in other versions of the game, surprisingly - it's just the base game and the base game only.

As far as difficulty goes, it's rather hard to judge so far - since I got promoted in my first season, I've certainly noticed a huge drop in the competitiveness of my side - but it's difficult to judge whether that's because of the step up in quality, an increase in difficulty or some mistakes on my part...I'm floating just above the relegation zone - which doesn't sound great - but considering the relative merits of my squad (compared to others) - perhaps I'm roughly where I should be? ..or maybe even punching above my weight? ..tough to tell!

Hope that helps a little bit at least!

@gcunit The game runs VERY fast - considerably faster than any other CM/FM game that I've ever played (PC/console) - but there are a few compromises...

The biggest one is that you can only select leagues from 3 nations for your save (eg. I selected all 7 available English divisions, the top 2 divisions in Spain and the top 2 in Holland) - whilst that doesn't mean that players from other nations are totally absent from the game, the database is somewhat restricted (compared to your standard PC save) and you'll only be able to manage clubs from within the nations selected (ie. I won't be able to manage Bayern Munich, for example, in my save)

Apparently saves are also limited to running for 30 seasons max (because of memory restrictions) and, compared to the 'full fat' PC version, the game feels fairly 'stripped back' (less micro-managing, more focus on the 'core' gameplay)

Overall though, I'm fairly surprised how little those compromises seem to be affecting my enjoyment of the game...most of the players that I could think to search for from 'unselected' nations appear to have been loaded in to my save - certainly a more-than-healthy selection of big names and hot prospects from around the world - and having a 30 season limit (and cutting some of the wider 'fluff' from the game) seems like a fair trade off. When you consider how snappy the experience is, they seem to have struck a pretty healthy balance.

The biggest compliment I can give it is that it feels like a 'proper' Football Manager game when you play it. Aside from the occasional frame-drop in the 3D match engine (which appears slightly 'downgraded' compared to iPad) - the game runs exceptionally well...the wait between matches is very short (maybe a second or two per day?) - which, compared to my FM17 PC save, is a light-and-day difference! ..and the database is nowhere near as restricted as I had feared - pretty much everyone I could ever dream of signing has been loaded in to my save - pretty impressed (and relieved) really!

I do miss the Editor a bit - and the ability to use mods - but, despite the 'streamlined' nature of this version of the game, I don't really feel like I'm missing much else - and I'm certainly not missing the ultra-long waits!

Hope that helps!

Farmboy74

Due to work and family commitments, unlike some of you I am still on my first season and it’s early days. So far as manager of Leicester City my record In the premier league is P5 W2 D1 L2. The two loses are to both Manchester clubs, with the loss to City being quite calamitous.
In the Carabao Cup I drew local rivals Nottingham Forest and duly knocked them out! Only to be drawn to Manchester City in the next round!! Somehow I don’t think I will meet the boards expectations in that competition.
I seem to be picking up injuries to key players lost Albrighton for 5 weeks and now lost Simpson for the rest of the season with a knee injury. The only cover I have for Simpson is Armarty and he’s not the best.
Transfer wise it’s a mixed bag, Mahrez like in real life wanted out, i duly put a nice big price tag on his head and nobody came in for him!!
I put in a bid for Sessesgnon which got accepted only for my director of football only to screw up the negotiations. In fact the director of football has screwed up three negotiations!!. The only successful transfer I had was for Moussou Dembele who so far is playing well with Jamie Vardy and my 4-2-4 wide formation so far is not working to badly.
With Simpson out long term I’m looking to go into the January transfer market looking for a replacement.
Does anybody know if you can promote players from the reserve side?

Edited on by Farmboy74

Farmboy74

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.