Forums

Topic: Football Manager 2018

Posts 21 to 40 of 133

NaviAndMii

So, I bit the bullet and downloaded the game this morning - and I'm loving it so far!

I decided to jump right in with a 'normal' save to begin with - hoping to forge a long and successful career with my beloved Ipswich Town - and I've certainly got that familiar 'Football Manager' feeling from my early time with the game ..as someone who has been used to the 'full fat' PC versions over the years, the game certainly feels quite stripped back in comparison - but, in a funny way, it almost feels liberating to have less micro-managing to do - instead just focusing on assembling as good a team as you can possibly scrape together and moulding the players in to a match-winning machine!

I really like that you can essentially have as many tactics as you like in the game (and that you don't have to train the team to 'learn' the tactic) ..the PC version has always restricted you to just 3 tactics (for some reason) - having already created 5, it feels awesome to be able to switch between each of them on-the-fly and truly 'manage' my way through each match!

It's super-snappy as well - in Football Manager 2017 on PC, it was generally taking me around 2 real-world months to complete a season - having already flown through most of pre-season in my Switch save, things seem to be ticking along at a fabulous pace! ..awesome!

Ipswich gave me a less-than-generous transfer budget to begin with - with only £250k to spend and minimal flexibility on wages, I'm having to wheel-and-deal as best I can - I've managed to blag a few decent loan signings though (Scott McTominay from Manchester United, Jake Hesketh from Southampton and Callum Roberts from Newcastle United) who I hope will bolster my squad sufficiently for us to have a decent campaign...but I've certainly got a big job ahead of me to drag these guys up to the Premier League!

The game has left me grinning from ear-to-ear - so happy with my purchase! ..can't wait to get stuck back in!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

CaPPa

I'll definetely be picking this up at the end of the month. I haven't played a football manager game in years, I think the last one was on the PS2, so I'm buzzed to be able to play this on the Switch.

CaPPa

toiletduck

How's the controls with joycons in TV mode? Or is it a 'just play it handheld' kinda game? Thx for the first insights @NaviAndMii! Keep em coming.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

PuppyToucher

So I have never played a football manager game but am interested in this one due to all the hype surrounding the release. Can someone elaborate on the gameplay because I can’t quite tell what’s going on just from watching YouTube videos. Also how does this game compare to FIFA and which is more beginner friendly?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0626-8454-8990

My Nintendo: AgentQ723 | Nintendo Network ID: AgentQ723

Eagle9

Pocket Football Club on 3DS, what are better in this?

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

NaviAndMii

@toiletduck It's actually kind of strange to play in docked mode...there isn't any music/sound in the menu's - and the silence is deafening!

Odd decision by the devs to not at least have the option to have some ambient background music - but Handheld is where it's at for me...I was happily just sitting on the couch yesterday, playing FM on my Switch while the real world football results were rolling in - really cool ..and perfect for the bus (etc) too, I imagine!

@PuppyToucher The main difference is that FIFA is more skill based - whereas Football Manager focus wholly on the strategic side of the game.

You control everything about the club - from the players, tactics, formation, team, substitutions etc - but you don't 'physically' control the players on the pitch like you do in FIFA...instead, you're essentially watching on from the sidelines (like a manager) trying to use your strategic nous to best the opposition.

Football Manager Touch (the Switch version) is really quite accessible compared to the more complex PC versions. When you start, you pick a team - then have to decide what tactics you want to use and how to spend your transfer budget - but it doesn't overwhelm you. Your 'Assistant Manager' automatically takes control of more 'advanced' tasks like training, scouting etc - which allows you just to focus on the basics in the beginning - but as you get more comfortable with the game, you can start to take on some of those tasks for yourself and add some extra depth to the experience if you wish...but, if not, your Assistant will run those tasks for you just fine - you can basically tailor the game to however you want it to be and go from there

As management sims go, FM Touch game eases you in pretty gently - and never puts any pressure on you to 'over-complicate' the game for yourself - there's plenty more there if you want it but, if you prefer just to keep things simple, it won't punish you for it...and it makes for quite a nice change of pace from a more arcadey game like FIFA.

Hope that helps (..and I'll happily answer any other questions as best I can if you have them!)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Alber-san

@NaviAndMii
How would you compare this game to Nintendo Pocket Football Club on 3DS. I loved that game and would like to know if I might like this.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

NaviAndMii

@Alber-san I never played Nintendo Pocket Football Club, unfortunately - so couldn't really offer a comparison...but I'd say that, if you've enjoyed a football management sim in the past, you can't go too far wrong with FM

They've been making these games for years - and have really got the format down to a fine art...it's not the easiest game to recommend to fans of, say, FIFA - because they're such different experiences - but if you've played something similar, I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy this

@toiletduck Oops! Sorry, forgot to mention about the Joy-Con's!

Having been so used to the mouse-and-keyboard PC versions of the years, I initially found it quite difficult to get my head around the control scheme - luckily, like the tablet version, there's full touchscreen support (which is a handy alternative) ..but the game reminds you of the Joy-Con control scheme each time the loading screen pops up - and after a couple of hours, they started to feel really natural - and navigating the menu's is just a breeze now Quite impressed really!

Continue/back are mapped to the trigger buttons - and you can access menu's using the shoulder buttons (which can be navigated using either the analog sticks, left face buttons or touchscreen - with A/B acting as select/deselect) ..so you can do everything from pretty much just a 'resting' hand position - it took me a while to get used to - but now that I am, it feels great!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Alber-san

@NaviAndMii
Thanks for the info! I'll prpbably check it out then. Will have to wait till after exams though.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

toiletduck

@NaviAndMii thanks! I'll probably pick it sometime soon. For now I'll focus on the games I'm already playing. Actually just started FUT '18 on Switch since I figured this was a while ahead

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

NaviAndMii

@Alber-san No problem ..and probably a good call if you have exams - it's a notoriously addictive game, so perhaps best to avoid temptation for the time being!

@toiletduck Haha! Yeah, I know what you mean! Since FIFA 18 had its price cut, it's been a very attractive looking purchase - I'm sure that assembling an Ultimate Team will be a lot of fun too though! ..and with many football seasons across Europe drawing to a close, you might find that FM Touch gets a healthy price drop as well by the time you get around to picking it up, which would just make it all the sweeter!

Farmboy74

I’ve been playing Top Eleven 2018 on my IPad for quite a while as that is a free to play management sim and a lighter version of Football Manager, so i decided to take the plunge yesterday and downloaded it last night.

First impressions are that this is a lot more in-depth than the free to play Top Eleven (which is a great introduction to football management sim). I’m still getting used to the controls, as so far I'm finding it hard to remember what button does what as like @NaviAndMii says the joy con control scheme only pops up on the loading screen between games. I do find it strange that there is no sound at all apart from when you are playing a game but I think that is deliberate as you are deciding what to do between games.

I decided to begin my managerial career with Leicester City as I have supported them as long as I can remember. The board have only given me £27 million to play with, which is a pittance by premier league standards!!. Just like in real life I have Mahrez wanting out pre season and players I would not have loaned out have already been loaned out!! Do I keep the want a way player or do I sell him on to increase my transfer budget arrgghh decisions, decisions.

I can see this game being a massive time sink, as I started playing at 10pm last night and stopped at 12.30am, having only played one pre season game!!

I do find it odd that they’re releasing this towards the end of the season and do wonder if it would have been better releasing at the beginning of 2018 - 19 season. But if I remember right the Vita only got one version, I wonder if that will be true for the Switch?

Farmboy74

NaviAndMii

@Farmboy74 Blimey! £27m is pretty stingy! What are the boards expectations? Mid-table? Europe? ..Mahrez has been transfer listed by request since the summer in my save - but there were no takers for him, so they're stuck with each other until the next transfer window at least (..art imitating life - haha!)

At the start of the game, most teams seem pretty settled - with many young players already out on season-long loans - and not too many unhappy/transfer-listed players to choose from...luckily, I managed to blag a few long-term loans to bolster my squad for the season - and I just about managed to scrape together enough funds to bring in the silky Josh McEachran from Brentford on a permanent transfer, who'll hopefully add a bit of class to my midfield ..but nobody bid on any of the players that I transfer listed, so I'm stuck with a few players who don't really fit in to my chosen 'tiki-taka' tactic until January (at least) by the looks of things I'm not totally happy with the balance of my squad, but we've started the season well - I'm only expected to guide the team to a mid-table finish, but we're currently making a push for promotion...maybe glory awaits? **fingers crossed!**

I, too, found myself playing the game for a lot longer than planned last night! ..that's the best endorsement I can give to FM touch really - not only does it look and play like a regular Football Manager game - it's also similarly difficult to put down!

Good luck for the season ahead!

Farmboy74

@NaviAndMii The boards expectations are mid table, with getting to I think the 6th round of the FA cup and 5th round of the league cup (don’t like the name carabao, it was the milk cup when I was young!)

The Mahrez situation is interesting from what I remember I think it has been reported in the game that Man Utd are looking at him for £44 million, I might list him for £60 and see If can persuade Pep to buy him!!

I have a list of players i would like to try and buy, Johnny Evans, from West Brom and Nathan Redmond from Southampton. Redmond would be a replacement for Mahrez if i sell him, and I’m thinking Evans to replace Huth or Morgan as they’re both old and to slow.

I’ll have to see what happens tonight!!

Here’s hoping that you managerial career with the Tractor Boys goes to plan.

Farmboy74

NaviAndMii

@Farmboy74 Nice Reasonable expectations from the board - should be achievable (especially if you can top up your transfer kitty with £44-60m for Mahrez) ..Redmond would be a great signing - and Maguire/Evans at the back sounds pretty tasty!

I got knocked out of the Carabao Milk Cup () by Brentford in Round 2 - 1 round early - which mildly disappointed the board...currently riding high in 2nd place in the Championship though - not exactly 'doing a Leicester', but not too bad

Good luck this evening!

kobashi100

Number 1 UK eshop in just a few days and @ full price.

Looks like sports interactive made the right choice

kobashi100

JSG87

I've only played it for like 5 minutes cause I've not had the time to play but I'm about to jump back into it now. It's also currently #1 on the UK eshop.

JSG87

kobashi100

JSG87 wrote:

I've only played it for like 5 minutes cause I've not had the time to play but I'm about to jump back into it now. It's also currently #1 on the UK eshop.

6th on the Spanish eshop.

3rd Italian eshop

Konami really made a mistake not releasing PES 2018 on switch.

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

5m0k3

Been playing on pc since the days of championship manager 97/98, downloaded for the switch this morning and i love it so far.
I've gone Brondby in the Danish premier league I'm going to lead them to European glory (hopefully) lol

5m0k3

Lroy

Loving reading this thread and hearing your personal anecdotes about how your maiden managerial seasons are shaping up. I was obsessed with Championship Manager as a school boy and played every edition up until the brand changed to Football Manager.

At that point, with the responsibilities of adulthood and other distractions it seemed the ideal time to put the game to rest for me. I have tried a couple of Football Manager games in the subsequent years but only superficially and none felt like Championship Manager - perhaps I had changed too?

Most notably, since settling down and having kids, I've stopped playing football and no longer even follow a team or watch the sport on TV outside of international tournaments such as Euros or World Cup. My child self would be utterly dumbfounded as I was a walking, talking encyclopaedia of World Football once. Hence my deep love of Championship Manager may be best served as nothing more than a warm nostalgic memory.

BUT... the Switch has brought me back to FIFA after an absence of about 8 years and I am really, really enjoying the Manager Mode - wish the FIFA 18 thread had more chat about how each other's seasons are panning out like here. So with this iteration of FOOTBALL MANAGER arriving suddenly on Switch, my childhood joy for Championship Manager has been brought up as reverie in my mind once again.

I'm tempted to try this one but the price is a little outside my £20-£25 limit for digital game purchase but perhaps more significantly. I simply no longer have up to date knowledge of the footballing world. Previously, I could tell you the starting eleven of every nation at a given tournament like the World Cup. I could have named the squads of every team in all the major European Leagues but a school boy obsessed Football fan, I no longer am. Would this game prove too hard for a lapsed player of Football Management games and a lapsed fan of the sport itself?

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.