Forums

Topic: Football Manager 2018

Posts 61 to 80 of 133

W90WBA

Looking to hold off buying this either for a price drop or if 19 comes to Switch having already purchased the Touch version on the iPad on release

The biggest problem I have doesn’t matter what I do on these games I always seem to do crap lol, find it so hard with amount of in depth you have to get into with playing box to box, target man, winger etc I just don’t find myself playing to players strengths, hence holding off on this

W90WBA

diditall4tanooki

@NaviAndMii Thanks for the advice, my friend. Good to know there's no microtransactions. I'm still so conflicted on whether to get it or not. It's $40 on the eshop here in America (I'm from Wales - obviously not relevant but I feel obliged to disclose to prove the legitimacy of my footballing heritage haha), which feels steep considering the full PC version is similarly priced. All I can hope is that it gains no traction here and suddenly goes on some sort of 75% off sale to drum up interest.

diditall4tanooki

5m0k3

@diditall4tanooki I'm from Wales as well lol, yeah maybe it won't be too popular in the states and they'll knock a few quid off or something, although I'd say it's definitely worth splashing the cash on I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far (maybe even more than i enjoy the full fat pc version)

Edited on by 5m0k3

5m0k3

diditall4tanooki

@5m0k3 Haha yes boyo! Where in Wales are you from? I'm from Bridgend. I grew up with my father taking me to watch Swansea (his hometown) when they were in the old 3rd Division and played at the Vetch. I later lived in Cardiff so would go and watch them at Ninian Park. I'm a rare one in that I like to see both do well against the English sides around them. Yes, I am aware that this is an incredibly controversial position to hold... Anyway, it's looking increasingly likely that I'm going to bite the bullet on this one. So far nobody seems to have anything negative to say about this version of FM.

diditall4tanooki

5m0k3

@diditall4tanooki I'm from Ebbw Vale originally but I've been living in Llanelli for years now, that is quite a controversial stance on Cardiff and Swansea lol I'm a Cardiff fan myself!!
Aye bite the bullet boyo you'll enjoy it ☺

Edited on by 5m0k3

5m0k3

diditall4tanooki

@5m0k3 You're on the wrong side of Wales for a Cardiff fan, mate! Big game for them today. Hoping for a win - would love to see the two Welsh teams back in the Premier League. Anyway, I'll stop hijacking this thread with Wales chat now. Just got excited for a minute there, haven't had much interaction with my people since I've been living out here.

diditall4tanooki

5m0k3

@diditall4tanooki Although i would like Cardiff to go up this year and the Swans to stay in the premier league it'll be good to have them both in the same division again

5m0k3

5m0k3

@diditall4tanooki Lol i am indeed i get a fair bit of stick for it as well as you can imagine.
Anytime mate always happy to chat with a fellow welshman!!

5m0k3

Danny-LFC

@5m0k3 Yes mate. Not had chance to play it much so far - Still in pre-season with Liverpool! It's my first time playing FMT, up until now it's been full FM but I have less time than I used to so thought i'd give this a go! Enjoying it so far though, but I do miss the coaching side of things and pre-match preparation - Not sure why pre-match prep wasn't included as it's not exactly time consuming?! Hoping to get a couple of hours in later today. Will continue with Liverpool for now, then probably start again either unemployed or in the VNL and work my way up.

Danny-LFC

NaviAndMii

@diditall4tanooki You're very welcome! It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they dropped the price of FM Touch for the World Cup (or something like that) to try to generate a second wave of sales - so if you're in no rush, there's no harm in waiting just in case

@Danny-LFC Yeah, Match Preparation is certainly a surprising omission...can't think why the decided not to include it - the whole Training system in FM Touch feels kind of 'half baked' really.

I'm thinking of starting a 'Non League to Premier League' type save too - always fancied the challenge! ..I'm happy just to focus on my Ipswich 'career' for now - I'm struggling to find the right balance between attack and defence with my chosen, possession-based tactic at the moment - but, once I stumble across a winning formula, I'd love to eventually test it out in the lower leagues and see if I can use it to create my own 'zero to hero' story!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Rich10

Shane17 wrote:

Looking to hold off buying this either for a price drop or if 19 comes to Switch having already purchased the Touch version on the iPad on release

The biggest problem I have doesn’t matter what I do on these games I always seem to do crap lol, find it so hard with amount of in depth you have to get into with playing box to box, target man, winger etc I just don’t find myself playing to players strengths, hence holding off on this

Which club are you managing? I'd like to try and help you get the most out of your squad, I'm by no means an expert, but have always found success by identifying my player's strengths and mitigating against their weaknesses (as much as possible).

Friend code: SW-2475-9405-1512

Danny-LFC

@NaviAndMii How's your Ipswich save going? Let me know how you get on if/when you start an LLM save!

I started unemployed with previous experience as a semi-pro footballer. I took the vacant job at Wrexham. I'm about 21 games in and sitting 3rd in the table (media predict 8th), with only 3-4 points separating 2nd to 8th I think! I've been on 2 very poor runs already, going about 5-6 games without a win each time.

I'm finding it really difficult to raise morale when it drops, without the ability to talk to my players. I've had 3 chances at a 'meeting', but my responses haven't had any reaction! I've heard mid-season friendlies are a good way to raise morale, but I feel like that's a bit of an unrealistic way of doing it. Ah well, won my last 5 so form is picking up again!

Danny-LFC

NaviAndMii

@Danny-LFC My Ipswich save is back on track! After an unexpected promotion to the Premier League, the step up proved to be quite difficult (hovering around the relegation zone for the first half of the season) ..but, on the back of suffering a few particularly heavy defeats, I decided to go back to the drawing board with my tactical approach - and with a bit of trial and error, and a few tweaks and adjustments here-and-there - we seem to be going in the right direction again! ..might even sneak in to the Europa League!

Sounds like you're doing really well with Wrexham - some pretty big clubs down in the National League at the moment! Love the idea of starting 'unemployed' - with 3 save slots available, I'm very tempted to do the same and have it as a little side project (..maybe even have a 'Create-A-Club' save as well!)

I've managed to have a bit of success with the occasional 'meetings' - I told the lads to 'give it their all' on the eve of a match against Liverpool (to mathematically secure survival) and the chat apparently went down well - but I'm never too sure which option to select! ..other than winning matches, I don't suppose there's too much else you can do - friendlies would probably do the job but, as you say, it's not a very realistic way of going about it (and risks injuries/fatigue) ..all-in-all though - aside from the odd niggle here-and-there - I'm surprised how little I miss from the 'full' version of the game (particularly love how snappy it feels!)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Lroy

@NaviAndMii Wow, noticed you'd sunk 60 plus hours into the game already, less than two weeks after its release? That's insane!

I'm chomping at the bit to succumb and pay the £29.99 to play it but my head is telling me to wait in the hope of a discount further down the line. I already have more games for Switch than I have time to play and am currently main-lining FIFA 18 Manager Mode.

A poor substitute for FOOTBALL MANAGER on Switch perhaps, but then again, at least in FIFA whatever short comings I may have as a Manager or weaknesses that exist in my chosen low-league team can be overcome simply by me actually playing the matches.

I've started careers as a League Two club and a League One club on two different difficulty settings and am romping my way to ultra unrealistic success and silverware already 😂

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

OorWullie

@Lroy What difficulty level are you playing FIFA on?I've not played it in a while but I've had it set to Professional and I've just not been able to get going.Goals really are at a premium.I draw so many games 0v0. When I used to play FIFA before I'd always start off with professional but after a couple of weeks I'd change it to World Class.I haven't entertained that idea this time . I used to be a pretty decent player too.I think it's probably my age ,I've just not got it anymore. If I was a real player I'd have long retired.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

SuperJoon

My save has been put on the backburner thanks to God of War. Will get back onto it soon, not too far into my first season with Middlesbrough, but currently top of the table playing some quite patient passing football.

Holding the ball up, moving it about and frustrating opponents. All gravy Seen some quality goals as well which is on my YouTube

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

NaviAndMii

@Lroy Oh my! 60 hours?! Blimey! ...time flies! Haha!

I binged on it quite a lot the weekend I got it (as you can tell!) - since then, it's kind of become my 'go to' handheld game ..and, I have to say, kicking back in front of the TV and casually playing a bit of FM on the side is just a treat! (..not quite as 'anti-social' as the PC versions either!)

I was really tempted to get FIFA myself - it's almost always the cheapest 'physical' game I see in shops, which makes it all-the-more difficult to resist! ..but, after FM dropped, I just about leaned towards that instead!

Most of the single-player games I own on Switch are more 'action oriented' - and, for some reason, I seem to prefer playing slower-paced games in handheld mode - so I just thought it'd be a better 'fit' for my library at the moment (..at least, that's how I justified the expense to myself! Haha!)

I've never actually played a FIFA 'Manager Mode' - seems like it could be a lot of fun though! I sure wouldn't mind being able to physically control my FM team every once and a while! (..especially if they seem to be ignoring my simple 'mark that player' or 'close him down' instructions - can get pretty frustrating at times!) ..is it possible to adjust the difficulty settings if you fancy cranking the level of challenge up a bit? ..sounds decent

@SuperJoon Nice! Sounds like we're taking similar approaches (..and dramatically changing the style of our respective clubs - neither of our 'predecessors', Tony Pulis/Mick McCarthy, are particularly well known for their 'attractive' football! Haha!)

I always favour adopting a 'stylish' brand of football and focusing on youth development when playing Football Manager - it's been a bit of a struggle to find the right balance with my possession-based tactic, but I've been settled on the system below for a little while now and it seems to be working pretty well

Tactics:
Untitled

Team Instructions
Untitled
(..switching to 'More Fluid', 'Much Wider' and 'Much Higher Defensive Line' if we need a goal)

Usually averaging around 60-65% possession - and (generally) having more shots-per-game than the opposition...not sure it's '100% perfect' just yet - but it feels like we're on the right track

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Lroy

@NaviAndMii Yeah, FIFA 18 has varying difficulty levels. I'm playing on Professional as it has been about ten years since I played a FIFA game. Played them annually before that. I got the game physical for £20 and change. Alongside ROCKET LEAGUE, that's probably the best cost to value in potential game-play hours I've made on Switch. Can see myself clocking over 100hrs in each no problem. The Career mode in FIFA won't compare to FOOTBALL MANAGER in terms of depth but it is a fun wraparound context for matches you play in the game.

@OorWullie I started as a League Two side on Semi-Pro difficulty but by the half-way mark of the season, without changing my default squad at all, I was regularly beating all opposition 3-0, 4-0, 5-0. I won the Checkatrade and League Cups and was way, way ahead at the top of the table with a couple months left of the season to go. I am still in FA Cup as well.

So even though I was really rusty with FIFA having not played it properly since FIFA 10 or the World Cup 2010 version Semi-Pro just proved insufficient a challenge to make it satisfying.

So I started over at professional with a League One side. I finished runners-up in the division and won the Checkatrade Trophy or whatever it is called. However, I was languishing in mid-table for the first-half of the season with loads of 0-0 draws and it wasn't until I brought in some loan strikers that things really began to click and I was able to score more freely and push for promotion.

I will see how things go with this career as I intend to stick with my current club and try and get them into the Prem. I'm not tempted to raise the difficulty again yet, I did used to play on World Class way, way back.

My biggest gripe back then with the move to FIFA 11 and onwards was that the difficulty levels just seemed to have the effect of making you draw 0-0 or lose as your keeper just got worse whilst your opponent's goalie becomes unbeatable. I don't know if the difficulty levels have been better finessed and balanced in FIFA 18. I am really enjoying Professional at the moment and my advice would be to go back to the game and stick at it for a season or two on professional. I always recommend a side in a lower division as well. But that's just my preference.

Let's chat more over in the FIFA 18 thread if you like? Be good to compare how we are getting on and who we manage and buy etc.

Edited on by Lroy

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

SuperJoon

@NaviAndMii

Nice tactics and same formation as me. I always prefer a defensive midfielder to help at the back, especially when I'm playing some straight forward passing football, no need for fanciness, I don't think I did much when doing my team instructions, kept it simple, too many times in the past I've gone all out and it's failed, so thought about keeping it simple. Seems to be working at the moment, but early doors in the season.

Will update this later with screenshot from my tactics screen I'm in the mood to play this again now haha!

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

W90WBA

Rich10 wrote:

Shane17 wrote:

Which club are you managing? I'd like to try and help you get the most out of your squad, I'm by no means an expert, but have always found success by identifying my player's strengths and mitigating against their weaknesses (as much as possible).

I usually play as West Bromwich Albion, it’s mainly the player roles and team instructions I struggle with

@NaviAndMii - great tactics, those are the kinda things I struggle with tbh, knowing what player role to give a player, and how to set the team up as stupid as it may sound

W90WBA

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.