Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,768

Quarth

Yeah, the save spots are pretty generous in FFVII.

Playing FFVIII and it's pretty great so far, though the Junction system is a little bit too complex for my taste. Needing a GF attached to be able to use the menu (Draw, Magic, Items) in battles is annoying. But on the other hand there seems to be at least one GF per character so far.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

BruceCM

&, I think, those are all in the same places they always were, @NintendoByNature ..... Still, there are times where it'd be nice to be able to quicksave in some towns/ dungeons, etc
It's quite easy to break that game with junctions, @Quarth & there's certainly plenty of GFs in the game but I'm glad they didn't repeat the system

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dezzy

@Quarth

The number of GFs is significantly higher than the number of characters, so that's not a problem over the longer term.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NintendoByNature

Aside from leveling up your characters and buying/getting new equipment and potions, Should I be doing other things or leveling up anything else? I don't want to get to a point in the game where I'm 15-20 hours in and realize there was something i should have been doing the whole time that i wasn't. The materia thing for instance, I think i equipped it, but I recall an Npc saying it dont use it too much or something to that nature. Do I need to level up magic or materia?

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM for sure.
@Eel then either i got duped by an npc who told me not to use it too much or I misread it 😛. Thanks.

NintendoByNature

Dezzy

@NintendoByNature

The other main thing you should be doing in early FF7 is trying to steal from as many enemies as possible. There are lots of enemies that carry more advanced weapons than are normally available at that point.

Dezzy

@NintendoByNature

Also, make sure you don't miss the Enemy Skill materia when you're in Shinra Building (around 5 hours into the game). That's one of the most important materia in the game. Really fun to use too.

NintendoByNature

@Dezzy I'll definitely keep an eye out. I just got done with escaping the soldiers with aeria (sp?). So only that and 2 sectors down so far. I'll play some more tonight though. I did find it odd that both sectors were nearly identical. Are they all like that?

NintendoByNature

Dezzy

@NintendoByNature

No. But you don't go to every sector in the original game anyway.

Quarth

@BruceCM @Dezzy Thanks!

How does the GFs health work? How can they run out of life when I only summon them for one attack and they then go back again? Is it linked to my own health? In FFX they're out until you call them back and can take damage during the time they're summoned, but that doesn't seem to be the case in FFVIII.

And can I summon them how many times I'd like? In FFVII there was a limit.

I understand that the Draw system is of big importance and that I should check every new enemy I encounter for magic.

Dezzy

@Quarth

The GF health replaces your health while they're waiting to be summoned. They can be killed during that point, but your character can't. It's very different from FFX.

Yes, Draw is the way to get good in this game. You need to always try and draw to see if an enemy has anything new. Quite a few of the GFs are acquired by drawing them from bosses, and if you miss them you can't get them until the very end of the game.

Edited on by Dezzy

Anti-Matter

@Quarth
In FF VIII, GF is treated like guardian pets.
Some important things about GF:

1. They are connected to your stats. Depend on which GF you have, there are some stats linked such as HP, Str, Def, Mag, Spr, Elemental Attack, Elemental Def, etc. Each GF have different Original Commands such as Revive from Alexander, Recovery from Leviathan, Card from Quetzalcoatl, etc. The commands such as Revive, Recovery are highest level of Magic, they can be used infinite times with no cost anything.

2. Each GF can be taught by different abilities or Support abilities and also their abilities can be deleted (forget) by giving them Amnesiac thing.

3. There are 3 different kinds of GF, from the way you summon them: Normal, Item GF and Random Summon.

Normal GF are the summon beast you got from either draw from Bosses or fight with them until they surrender. GF from Draw : Siren, Leviathan, Alexander, Eden, etc. GF you have fight first : Ifrit, Bahamut, Diabolos, etc.

Item GF is GF that can be summoned from items you have. They don't connected with your stats, you can summon them immediately like using items but they are limited in quantity (you have to search again the items if you want to summon them again). The Item GF are Phoenix, Chocobo, Moomba, etc.

Random Summon is a special summon in FF VIII. They are Odin and Gilgamesh.
You must defeat them first and after you get them, they will appear randomly during battle except Boss battle. I don't want to spoil about Gilgamesh because later you will find out about him.

4. When you summon GF, GF's HP is working as the shield of your HP. Instead you take damage from enemy, your GF will take damage from enemy for you. If your GF lost their HP, you cannot summon them until they got revived.

5. You can summon GF as many as you can. Everyone can summon the same GF but one GF counted as individual summon, cannot be cloned like FF VII.

6. How quick GF can be summoned ? Depend on how frequent you use them. The more you call them, the faster time they will come. But, it will be different speed if you suddenly change who will summon the same GF. For example, Squall has summoned Shiva frequently and she will came fast as Squall summon her. But if you suddenly give Shiva to Quistis, Shiva will be slow when being summoned by Quistis. It called Affection. Each GF have their Affection with each character. Their Affection meter will be grow as same people call them frequently.

Well, hope you understand to use your GF. 😀

Anti-Matter

BruceCM

I don't remember the NPC or what they said, @NintendoByNature .... Perhaps they were warning about running out of MP or something? There is that balance to using magic, as usual! That's Aeris or Aerith
Yeah, @quarth, the system in FFVIII is not like that in any other FF! So, draw from everything, pretty much

Edited on by BruceCM

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Quarth

@Dezzy @Anti-Matter Thanks guys!

This system is kinda fun, but I understand why it was a one-off thing. It's very daunting at a first look (maybe it isn't that difficult to grasp after a while).

Dezzy

@Quarth

I think the main reason it was a "one off" is just that it's really easy to exploit and break the system if you know how. It's a bit too open ended.

Luckily you'll never figure out how on your first playthrough just by chance, so it's not a huge issue. It is a very weird game to replay though, for that reason. You can't really replay it in the same way you can most FF games.

Quarth

@Dezzy Good to know. Hopefully the story takes off soon. Squall seems a bit stuck up, maybe there'a a reason?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic