Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 1,768

rallydefault

Really eyeing up the FF7 deal being stuck in the house these days... I played it a lot back when it first came out on the PS, but I never actually beat it. It can be shocking to play some of these older games if you never played them before.

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault yea i grabbed it since there's clearly time to kill. I grew up with the nes and so on. But I dont recall many PlayStation games looking somewhat primitive like ff7 does. I get it's an early 3d game, but still. Thats the only thing that shocked me so far 😉. I'm not knocking the game by any means as im thoroughly enjoying it and it's all i think about when im not playing it(usually a good sign im very into a game). Just don't remember many games looking like this. Then again, i haven't played a ps1 game in yeeeaaarrsssss.

NintendoByNature

Dezzy

@NintendoByNature

To be fair, it's only the field character models that looks bad. I think the battles look great still.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NintendoByNature

@Dezzy I should have clarified. You're 100% right and I should have added that. The battle scenes look awesome for their time.

NintendoByNature

Neoguardian86

Im debating getting FF10 and or FF12 and I’m having a hard time deciding if I should get or the other or both.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Switch: live A Live
Playstation 5: Assassins Creed Origins
Xbox Series X:
iOS: Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster
3DS XL:

PSN : Neoguardian86
Steam : GhostinShell86

Switch Friend Code: SW-5194-5130-4929 | 3DS Friend Code: 5430-0557-6118 | Nintendo Network ID: Neoguardian86

BruceCM

They're really quite different gameplay, @Neoguardian86 .... Do you prefer a mostly linear game? Or a more open one?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

Neoguardian86 wrote:

Im debating getting FF10 and or FF12 and I’m having a hard time deciding if I should get or the other or both.

Both of them are great Final Fantasy games with different Battle style.
FF X = Turn Based JRPG with character queue list on the Right
FF XII = Semi Open World JRPG with free roaming and ATB meter for executing commands. Also, the Actions will be Auto Command if you don't give direct command.

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

@Neoguardian86

If you prefer characters and story, get FF10. If you prefer exploration, looting, and building your characters, get FF12.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Neoguardian86

Both have their positives, but I’d give a tip to a really good open world vs an empty repetitive open world. I’m leaning towards both as for the price of 1 game (60 bucks) I could pick up FF10 (with FF10-2), FF12, and maybe FF9 or 8. @BruceCM

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Xbox Series X:
3DS XL:

Switch Friend Code: SW-5194-5130-4929 | 3DS Friend Code: 5430-0557-6118 | Nintendo Network ID: Neoguardian86

BruceCM

Well, FFXII is relatively open, @Neoguardian86, while FFX & XII are rather linear .... I have all of those on Switch, so all are good

SW-4357-9287-0699

Neoguardian86

Well i went and got both FF10 and FF12. I still got some money left over for picking up either FF7, 8 or 9.

I know this is Final Fantasy thread. But how difficult is the Romancing Saga? From what i see it looks needlessly difficult and obfuscating its rules.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Xbox Series X:
3DS XL:

BruceCM

Neoguardian86 wrote:

But how difficult is the Romancing Saga? From what i see it looks needlessly difficult and obfuscating its rules.

Not sure what you mean .... Neither of the 2 Romancing Saga games are very difficult! But if it's only one out of those 2 & the 3 FFs, I'd go for FFIX

SW-4357-9287-0699

rallydefault

@Neoguardian86
9 is my absolute favorite FF of all time. If you like the classic medieval fantasy feel (well...mostly medieval fantasy lol), 9 is the one for you. Growing up, I always preferred it over the cyber punkish worlds of 7, 8, and even kind of 10. I also connected with the characters in 9 more than any of the other games. Zidane is probably my favorite protagonist in nearly any video game, and the supporting cast is sooooooo cool. Combat is active time gauge and the slotting of abilities is streamlined, makes sense, but is a nice extra layer of character building.

rallydefault

Neoguardian86

With the three votes, i picked up FF9. Still got a week before sale ends.
Just thinking about trying the Romancing Saga series. Never tried it. But i am discouraged by what I’ve watched on youtube based on how the games setting its rules not clearly.

Edited on by Neoguardian86

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Xbox Series X:
3DS XL:

BruceCM

They're quite different from any FF games, @Neoguardian86 .... If you have watched gameplay videos & don't like the look, that's fine Which particular part(s) put you off, though?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Neoguardian86

@BruceCM so I’ll confess, i play JRPG’s - when given the opportunity - on easy mode. I’m mostly in it for the story. I have a full time job, that sometimes takes me through the weekends, and I’m married. I do not play multiplayer games, mostly because i want a good story and lore and to be able to experience that kind of progression.

And JRPG’s are well known for being VERY long affairs.

So in regards to Romancing Saga, it seemed to be that much more difficult kind of game. Having to repeat games because i didn’t know i had to go get xyz and such.

Very recently there have been 4 JRPG series I’ve been meaning to jump into more. Final Fantasy (only beaten 13 and 15), Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of, and Dragon Quest.
Last weekend i managed to beat my first Tales of game, Berseria for the first time and I enjoyed it a lot. And last night i started up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 : Torna the Golden Country, also my first Xenoblade game, and I’ve been really enjoying that as well.
And i fully intend on playing Dragon Quest 11, and the upcoming Xenoblade 1 remake, Final Fantasy 7 Remake this year.

When the Square Enix sale started i went and picked up everything Dragon Quest and Collection of Mana as well on there.

I take my Switch on my hour-long one-way bus trip to work, play a bit, grind a bit to pass the time, then when i have the time and energy at home dock it and play it on the big screen.
My Switch has become my Nintendo/Sega/Retro/Indie/JRPG machine.

Edited on by Neoguardian86

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Xbox Series X:
3DS XL:

BruceCM

Oh, right, @Neoguardian86 .... Some of the FF games can be a bit tricky, 1st time but they're generally better for people new to jrpgs The 1st DQ game doesn't have any party, so it's just you & you'll probably find it rather grindy. 2 is better, since it has the party to help 3 is a significant improvement on that, though
If you didn't mind FFXIII, infamously the most linear game in the series, you should still like FFX & XII, though I skipped the Mana Collection, since I'd already got Adventures & Secret Remakes, so I've pre-ordered Trial, too. Tales of series is one I'm getting into, so not much advice on those
If you don't like the look of the Romancing Saga games, skip them! Maybe Saga Scarlet Grace is still worth a look? That's much better than any of the others, IMO

SW-4357-9287-0699

NintendoByNature

I did the whole don corneo scene in VII today and not that it would funny in real life, but that scene in the game where you bust in on don corneo, I couldn't stop laughing at his hip movements and the sound effects that came with it.

NintendoByNature

Quarth

So FFVIII. I'm 10 hours in...

Will the story pick up pace now that the sorceress has taken over? I still don't really get what the game's about, but there seems to be some kind of parallell universe thing going on...?

I still haven't grasped the battle system. Right now I'm using the GF's which one-shots most enemies. Even the bosses goes down after a couple of hits. What's up with that? Am I playing it wrong?

Quistis is supposed to be smart huh? Then why did she decide to go apologize to Rinoa when they were in the middle of an important mission? Stupid...

Other than that, I'm kinda enjoying the game.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Ralizah

@NintendoByNature I really hope they haven't toned down Don Corneo in the remake. That entire section of the game with voice acting and realistic visuals should be amazing.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic