Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,768

Quarth

@JaxonH Would you recommend World of Final Fantasy Maxima to someone who have just played some of the FF games? I found the physical version on a Swedish webstore, they've imported it from Asia, and I'm tempted to buy it.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

darthcervantes

Only one I never played was 12. Is it as bad as they say?

friend code is SW-5969-2048-5391

BruceCM

Who says it's bad, @darthcervantes ....? Do they give any reasons for that?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Quarth

@darthcervantes XII is considered bad? Where? It's a solid game in my opinion. The characters are maybe a little bit bland and the story's nothing special, but the gameplay is great!

Edited on by Quarth

darthcervantes

@BruceCM

I've read that it's extremely linear up to a certain point. I've heard that several times about it. That's not stopping me or anything, just was wondering

friend code is SW-5969-2048-5391

Quarth

@JaxonH Did you see my message to you?

Sometimes it feels like the notification system is broken in NL's forum parts (it works fine in the regular comments section). I've missed several replies from other users because I didn't get a notification.

Man, I wish we had private messaging here.

Edited on by Quarth

JaxonH

@Quarth
I’m not sure. Sometimes the email notification gets lost with all my other emails. I can’t rely on the notifications of this site because every time I look I’ve got like 400 new notifications. 661 currently.

PM are desperately needed.

Anyways, I like World of Final Fantasy, just know what you’re buying. It’s a spin off like Chocobo‘s Dungeon. Not like Chocobo’s Dungeon of course. It’s more Final Fantasy x Ni No Kuni x Kingdom Hearts.

I wouldn’t put it up there with FFX/X-2 or FFXII, but I still feel it’s a really great game that’s worth owning.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

darthcervantes wrote:

Only one I never played was 12. Is it as bad as they say?

darthcervantes wrote:

@BruceCM

I've read that it's extremely linear up to a certain point. I've heard that several times about it. That's not stopping me or anything, just was wondering

You're confusing 12 and 13. 13 is incredibly linear. 12 is one of the most open games in the series.

Very few people say 12 is a bad game. It's generally regarded as very good by the fans. It is very unique and quite unlike the rest of the series though, so a lot of people often disregard it on that basis, in that it's not very representative of the series as a whole.

Its gameplay is all real-time and extremely automated, so the focus on strategy plays out very differently than every other game in the series. Its story is also fairly mature and focused on the larger political machinations in the world, as opposed to the focus on the main character relationships that the rest of the series tends to have. (It's probably the only game in the series where the main character has almost no meaningful impact on the story, but is essentially just along for the ride)

If linearity is your issue though, you'll like 12. It's incredibly open. It's set up like an open-world, but of course has loading screens, and different areas are gated-off by the story.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

RR529

I'll have to agree with @Dezzy on XII. I think it was very controversial at launch because it was so different than everything else before it, so that may be what @darthcervantes is remembering, but from what I've noticed perception of it has largely become more positive in retrospect.

I'll admit to giving up on it relatively early on back when I played it on PS2 because I couldn't get to grips with the combat, but now that I've gotten used to Xenoblade (which I think is pretty similar), I should try it again one day.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Quarth

@JaxonH Final Fantasy x Ni No Kuni x Kingdom Hearts sounds fun! Thanks! I think I will order it now. The price wasn't bad for an import.

Dezzy

@RR529

Yeah the Xenoblade Chronicles games are essentially just a better version of the FF12 battle system imo.

scoobdoo

Just adding a note here to say oh my god how good is FF12, both as a game and as a port on Switch?!

FC: SW-3470-2213-1835

Anti-Matter

scoobdoo wrote:

Just adding a note here to say oh my god how good is FF12, both as a game and as a port on Switch?!

You will like it.
FF XII Switch & Xbox One version has Licence Board Reset by talking to Montblanc, unlike PS4 version.
FF XII was good in gameplay (Battle System mechanism) so you can make your party attack the enemies almost Automatically based on your Gambit setting (The Auto Commands when you set on different circumstances)
The story was pretty Blah in my opinion due too many Political issues, Very Archaic / Formal English conversation.
The drama inside FF XII wasn't really memorable or interesting or dramatic as FF XIII or FF X.
But overall, FF XII Switch is still your great choice.

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@scoobdoo Yeah, the Switch port is terrific. Definitely the best version of the game. And still the best PS2 Final Fantasy game.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Quarth

So I've just finished "disc 2" in FFVII. Have I understood it correctly that the third and final part of the game is just one long boss battle? My mains are Cloud, Tifa and Barret. How shall I prepare (keep it spoiler free)? Thanks!

Edited on by Quarth

Quarth

Finally got three ribbons after trying to morph Master Tonberrys for a while. My characters are at level 73-75. Feels like I'm ready to take on the final boss now. Actually tried once before and got to Sepiroth's final form with quite ease, but then he put a lot of status effects on me and it was game over. That's why I decided to go after those ribbons after all. 😣

Dezzy

@Quarth

The final disc is just the final dungeon. It's because the end cutscene takes up so much space on the disc, that they didn't have room for much else.

Have you done any of the various late-game side-quests? You should do those before you fight Sephiroth.

There's quite a lot beyond the main story.

Quarth

@Dezzy I'm ready to be done with the game now. If the side quests aren't essential, I'll go straight to the final battle now, at least I'll try.

I think the game will end up a 9/10 for me. It has held up surprisingly well, even though there are some things in it that hasn't aged that well.

Dezzy

@Quarth

They're not essential. But if you can't beat the final boss, some of the side-quests will help make you tougher. Maybe do the Ancient Forest and the Sunken Gelnika hidden areas.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic