Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,681 to 4,700 of 70,008

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
You're missing the point I was making entirely. Derailing the threads once again. I was simply making the point that the vast majority of consumers won't know what the NX is until it's on the shelves. Even the more informed consumers won't know about it until Nintendo start advertising. People are talking about how the "delayed announcement" somehow hurts them when really nobody knows about this thing yet.

I'll put it another way. If you plug "NX" into google trends you get a lot of noise because NX is used for more than the NX. It's a car and a few other things. So if you do a google trends search for NX over the last five years? It includes that noise. And with that in mind, here's NX vs Wii U on google trends.
Untitled
The red line is the Wii U, the blue line is NX. The Wii U starts at 0 because there was nothing called Wii U before the Wii U was officially anounced. That's the first peak for the red line. That second jump is E3 2012, then the September Direct and launch. Then from there there are small peaks for E3 and much bigger ones for Christmas.

March 2015 is the NX name drop at that DeNA do. Before that point searches for "NX" were 100% not about the Nintendo NX. There were also spikes in search interest when things have been said. If you zoom in further there are peaks for E3, when they said the date it'll come out and the Eurogamer rumour. The hype is building but if you take into account the natural level of searches for NX? It barely registers.

Oh, and before you ask. If you put Project Cafe against the Wii U? It's basically nothing. It's smaller than the NX is on google search trends. If that first Wii U spike is ~40% and NX is maybe ~8% accounting for noise? Project Cafe peaked at ~3%. Really, in the grand scheme of things nobody is listening.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JoyBoy

How is Nintendo hyping up the the reveal of the NX, because I'm not seeing it.

They first talked about NX so people wouldn't call doom on Nintendo. Which we still do, because doomed.

Then they later gave us a release date for the system. Am I missing something? Where is the hype created by Nintendo coming from (other than your own head) that seem to get people so impatient.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Therad

Spanjard wrote:

They first talked about NX so people wouldn't call doom on Nintendo. Which we still do, because doomed.

Then they later gave us a release date for the system. Am I missing something? Where is the hype created by Nintendo coming from (other than your own head) that seem to get people so impatient.

people hype themselves up and they blame Nintendo for it. Human nature at its finest.

Therad

Octane

skywake wrote:

Yeah, but that's the thing. Why are we assuming that the Eurogamer rumour is the entire concept? Why are we assuming that the detachable controller bit is as described? And why aren't the internal specs as listed on the eurogamer rumour just as important? Honestly, I think SMD is just grasping at straws here.

I'm not assuming that, but a lot of people seem to take the EG rumours for granted. They could be wrong (or parts of it at least); that's what I said a couple of posts back.

I already said that I don't care about what that guy thinks; he just reposted that video. I just find it peculiar that the NX concept from the rumour (you know, from the company that only delivers ''original'' and ''unique'' systems) already exists.

Octane

Octane

Spanjard wrote:

I'd argue that they did by giving it a name. Last year I would've defended Iwata's choice of naming the NX during their mobile announcement. I've changed my opinion; I just think that they should've said that they're continuing to create content for dedicated gaming hardware and that they're working on new devices for the future. Once you give it a name, people care about it. That's the issue.

Besides that; the mentioned the NX during the E3 presentation a couple of months later. If you're not going to talk about the NX, just don't mention it all. Especially when there won't be another 12+ months of silence on the system.

Maybe it was the right call to mention ''NX'' in early 2015, but they surely could've handled it better. Just don't mention it at all or tease ''We'll talk more about it in 2016''. Because with only three months left, we barely know any more apart from its release window. I think that a lot of people expected more by now.

Octane

TuVictus

They also gave it a release window, so naturally people are getting frustrated by the lack of information. Hell, they're even offering it as a prize for a splatoon tournament. You can't say that Nintendo is completely blameless here

TuVictus

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

It's impatience because it is. I honestly think people are manufacturing this sort of post hype letdown doom scenario. There's no reason to believe that a delayed reveal will hurt them. As I said, most people won't even know what this is until it's on the shelves anyway. All the "risk" you guys talk about is nothing more than a red-herring to justify your impatience.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a bit impatient also, I'm refreshing the pages as much as anyone else on this thread is. It's a thing. But that doesn't mean that Nintendo are doomed just because you're here twiddling your thumbs. For a start, why are you saying it'll be a letdown? And if you know that as a "fact", what are you waiting for? You already know what it is to judge it! Please share.

Even among the casual audience there still is a risk in waiting this long, and that's the competition's marketing. If they wait out past October, we'll start to see a big marketing push from Microsoft and Sony for their games and consoles which will inevitably leave Nintendo in the dust as they are unable to compete with them. Nintendo needs to get ahead of that or else they'll once again be seen as an underpowered gimmick console developer that can only appeal to their core audience. By the time they'd actually find out about the NX, Microsoft and Sony will have cemented themselves as better options.

Spanjard wrote:

It's less about the hype behind this mystery console and more about how there's no hype behind what they have for us in the meantime. There's been a severe lack of games, especially high quality games, from both 3DS and Wii U since mid-2015 and there's really been very little to get excited for since. Basically, it's a combination of us being in a game and news drought and because Nintendo's recent games have been below expectations. Nintendo desperately needs some positive buzz, and most of that is hidden behind the reveal of the NX.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Well an important thing to consider is how far has Nintendo deviated from Iwata's plans since his passing. If he was still around, chances are Nintendo as a whole would be much more open. Things like NX reveal at E3 2016 (like the digital event in 2015 suggested), Directs being less than 6 months apart, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano If that's true than current Nintendo handled the situation poorly. However, I don't think Kimishima is responsible for everything; there's the board of directors with a lot of influence as well, they are still the same.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@TomJ Well, of course it's similar. Whether that's meaningful or not is up for debate.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

gcunit

That SMD video just brings me back to two points I've made previously:

A) Yes, the lack of anything worth talking about since the Eurogamer article is suspicious.

B) Digital technology is so ubiquitous in our lives nowadays, is it reasonable to expect Nintendo to be able to come up with anything that's genuinely new and untried? I don't see why that product's existence means it couldn't be what Nintendo are doing.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

IceClimbers

SMD isn't a reliable source. He's not an insider. He got super lucky with the 3DS lineup leak but then completely mishandled it by revealing too much (marketing budgets anyone?). When Nintendo contacted him, he ratted his source out when he didn't have to. Now anybody with inside info knows to not go anywhere near him.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Operationgamer17

Ichi wrote:

@IceClimbers He's might not be a reliable source, but he has some valid points...

Where did you learn he ratted out his source?

NeoGAF. I recall seeing someone on there post about it over a month ago.

Operationgamer17

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Even among the casual audience there still is a risk in waiting this long, and that's the competition's marketing. If they wait out past October, we'll start to see a big marketing push from Microsoft and Sony for their games and consoles which will inevitably leave Nintendo in the dust as they are unable to compete with them. Nintendo needs to get ahead of that or else they'll once again be seen as an underpowered gimmick console developer that can only appeal to their core audience. By the time they'd actually find out about the NX, Microsoft and Sony will have cemented themselves as better options.

You're making the assumption that Nintendo is competing with them. And anyways, I've seen this point argued both ways. You're saying that Nintendo can't wait because Microsoft and Sony will get in people's heads with their new hardware first. However I've lost count of the number of times people in this thread have argued the opposite. That Nintendo needs to wait until after Sony and Microsoft do their push because otherwise they're competing for our attention. That the NX reveal can't line up with the launch of the PSVR and so on.

Frankly I like your theory better but only because I'm impatient. If I try to remove myself from what I want to see and instead try and ask what's best for the NX? I don't think the date of the reveal really matters that much. Not the how or the when. In the end I think only four things will matter. The marketing just before launch, the price, the availability and the launch lineup.

Octane wrote:

I just find it peculiar that the NX concept from the rumour (you know, from the company that only delivers ''original'' and ''unique'' systems) already exists.

I'm not sure that the form is the concept or the ability to plug it into your TV. Especially if we're talking about tablet devices. In terms of the tech itself that SMD linked bit of vaporware is just an entry level Android tablet. One with HDMI out and a bluetooth controller included. That has been done before.

What I thought was exciting about the Eurogamer rumour were the internal specs. How that played into all of this. How from the ground up the NX as Eurogamer said it was was a bit of both. That SMD bit of plastic vaporware isn't a hybrid. It's a tablet that has a few features it can't really use. The NX Eurogamer was talking about? It's a portable console you can play on your TV. The internals matter.

skywake

BTW, the vaporware SMD linked to? It's not the only device on the market that has the "same" concept. Supposedly. If it's the form of the controllers that makes the Eurogamer leak/rumour. I don't think it is but for arguments sake....

Here's a very similar sort of thing for iPad/iPhone: https://www.gamevice.com/

Now is that anything like the SMD device? Well no, not really. But it is however still "identical" to the Eurogamer concept. Which says a couple of things. It shows how broadly the Eurogamer article can be interpreted. It also shows us that we shouldn't be surprised there are devices that sound similar on the market already.

Edited on by skywake

Bolt_Strike

As far as that device SMD brought up, didn't the same thing happen with the DS? I heard somewhere that there was some type of niche phone that used touch screen technology before the DS did.

EDIT: Here's something:

http://briskfx.com/history-of-touchscreen/

So yeah, that doesn't exactly rule out the idea. Nintendo would just "innovate" in the sense that they would popularize the idea.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

I don't think the date of the reveal really matters that much. Not the how or the when. In the end I think only four things will matter. The marketing just before launch, the price, the availability and the launch lineup.

Nintendo probably wouldn't even have a reveal if it were up to you. Right? After all, the majority of people in the world won't even know anything about the NX until it's actually on store shelves, so why waste any money or resources on a console reveal before launch?

Nice strawman, I never said that. I never said anything about the "world population" either. I just said that all this armchair analysis about the reveal is doing my head in. Because in the end it doesn't matter that much. People are talking as if somehow the NX will live or die on whether it's announced in October or December. It won't. It'll live or die for 2017 based on how good the launch itself is. It doesn't even have a name yet and people are talking about EOL.

But if you must know what would happen "if it was up to me". I would've had a reveal at E3 this year. You get the most engagement with the core audience, you can sell the concept. You undermine any of the industry leaks and so on. Not a full software lineup but just a product shot and general concept. Then you sit on that for a while and let people chatter. And sometime around now you drop details about the software lineup. That's how I'd do it if it was up to me.

But it's not and frankly I reckon the people running the show are more qualified than any of us are. Well that and they have far more information about what it is than we do. It's very easy to complain about them not telling us what it is when we want to know. But they know what it is so they're in a far better position to say what the best approach to the reveal is than we are.

Edited on by skywake

skywake

@BiasedSonyFan
I never said they were infallible. Actually I didn't really say that much at all. All I said was that it's doing my head in all this armchair analysis. We don't have anywhere near enough information to make those sorts of criticisms. For a start we don't know how it will be revealed or when it'll be revealed. And that's what you're complaining about here. And in the end it doesn't really matter how this thing is revealed anyways. What matters is how it launches, the price, what software it has and so on.

Really, the only reason people are complaining is because they're impatient. I'm just calling it out for what it is. We're all in the dark here and we want some news but that doesn't mean that Nintendo are wrong. And frankly I don't know why you are so offended by me pointing that out.

And while I'm here. What puzzling decisions? This isn't the first time I've heard someone say that. Maybe last time it was also you, I don't remember. But last time someone said that on these forums I asked them to list the "bad decisions" Nintendo has made in recent years. They couldn't.

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic