Forums

Topic: Big New Final Fantasy Titles Coming In 2018

Posts 61 to 80 of 112

kkslider5552000

He's not saying turn based is bad, he's saying FFVII's turn based isn't a particularly great example of turn based. I have no opinion of the battle system of a game I haven't played in 15 years, personally.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MarcelRguez

@Inertiacreep If we're doing the "doing crappy reductionist arguments" dance, I might as well point out that there have been way more ARPGs nominated for GOTY than turn-based RPGs.

@kkslider5552000 He knows what I meant, he's just being disingenuous.

@Anti-Matter That's my whole point though. ATB was great in the SNES, but we've moved past it since then.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@MarcelRguez
Actually i prefer Action RPG like Kingdom Heart series / Fantasy Life 3DS + Switching characters like FF XII or Ever Oasis. So, when i switch my character, they will do with Formula that i have set like Gambit System FF XII.

I don't like recruitable NPCs on Fantasy Life 3DS because they can't do Battle in smart way. In Fantasy Life 3DS, i play SOLO, without other peoples. They are practically ruin my smart plans in Battle.

Anti-Matter

Pungu

One might even say that FF7's ATB was more of a regression from what Square did with Chrono Trigger. CT not only got rid of random encounters, moulding exploration and combat into a single screen, but added positioning and enemy patterns to the mix. When the PS1 era started, we were back to ability gimmicks - materia, draw system and tied to equipment (FF9). But the ATB itself didn't really evolve. If anything it got worse when FF9 added that stupid delay.

Also, I'd like to point out that FF13 also used ATB, it just simplified the game by adding auto-battle and giving you command over one character only.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that CT also had combo attacks - dual/triple techs. I don't recall this in any of the FF games, but I could be mistaken.

Edited on by Pungu

I am Pingu's cousin, Pungu - Noot Noot!

Inertiacreep

@NotAceAttorney ff13 did the opposite of simplifying things.. instead of simply choosing to cast fire and then simply choosing to cast cure you need to jump through 20 f hoops to do these things... not to mention every time you switch out party members you need to set these 20 stupid hoops up every time... it was the worst thing I've ever played in my life.

Inertiacreep

MarcelRguez

@Inertiacreep It's an asinine point because the combat systems in both games aren't comparable despite being turn-based. You might as well be comparing the combat of Bayonetta with that of a musou game. Yes, both use combo systems based on linking weak and strong attacks, but come on.

Have you played any Persona or SMT game?

MarcelRguez

Inertiacreep

@MarcelRguez your reading comprehension is asinine. let me rewrite what i said in the first place.... there are all these people online who dont like turn based RPGs trying to make the claim that nobody wants to play turn based anymore, turn based is bad, turn based wont sell...... Persona 5 is turn based and considered one of the top 5 games of 2017..... CAN YOU READ THIS

Edited on by Eel

Inertiacreep

Inertiacreep

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Ok, being completely honest, and as someone who grew up with VII more than any other game in the franchise (barring maybe FFTA), I absolutely DO want the battle system changed for the remake. Because this will never be made again, so I want these iconic battles and the like done from a different gameplay perspective. Because we will never play it in an action-y way, EVER, if they don't. Similarly, I've always wanted a traditional Mario platformer that goes through the areas/story etc of the original Paper Mario games.

Now whether that action-y gameplay will be GOOD, I don't know.

Ok this I can respect... but all this trying to do away with turn based games by gamers trying to be fans of genres theyre not and then cry about getting it changed to an action game because they only like action games is just nothing but BS.

Inertiacreep

Dezzy

Inertiacreep wrote:

Ok, the thing is.. why are they even making this remake? Because the fans loved the original and everything about it. They just wanted to play it without blockheads.
So there was the demand. Now they are catering the game towards players who never even asked for the [removed]

The FF7 remake?

Because it's the game most fans wanted remade. It's the game that would most benefit from a full 3D remake given how epic and imaginative its world is and how many dramatic set-pieces compose its story.

I don't agree people want just a identical remake to the original but with better graphics. For one, I want an open world version of it. And I'm fine with them doing a new battle system cos I think Squarenix are quite good with battle mechanics in general.

Edited on by Octane

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

MarcelRguez

@Inertiacreep Where are those people? All I can find is @NotAceAttorney's post about turn-based combat being outdated. He didn't claim what you're mentioning now, and he even said he likes turn-based games. If you want to argue with online strangers in your head instead of the actual posters in this thread, be my guest.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Pungu

Just to add to that, I do love turn-based games. Chrono Cross is my favourite game, and it's turn-based. Most of the games I even play are turn-based. My main point was that by making the game action-based, Square is evolving FF7s combat. Now, if the ATB from FF7 was exceptional, then they could've kept it. But it's the same one they've been using since FF4.

Of course, there is still an audience that doesn't like turn-based games anymore. Persona 5 is truly an exception in this era where most big games are action RPGs. But you also have to keep in mind, Persona isn't an open world experience like FF7 is trying to be.

I am Pingu's cousin, Pungu - Noot Noot!

Inertiacreep

@MarcelRguez Yoooooo....... wow... dude seriously i feel like I'm spelling this out for a child with your reading comprehension this thread.... do you see where you started arguing with me and it's when I'm replying to @NotAceAttorney and he's saying they have to make this an action game because the new fan base is who's going to buy it because SE can't make an RPG good enough to sell like the original FF7 because nobody wants to play turn based anymore and then i argued about P5 and how successful it is, like what do you not understand, talking about I'm arguing with strangers in my head gtfoh

Inertiacreep

Inertiacreep

Point is... if SquareEnix was worth their [removed], they could make this game turn based, upgraded and stay true to the original, with outstanding quality like they used to do and sell more than FF13 and 15 and have it in the running for GOTY.

If it doesn't stay true to the original it's hardly a remake, it's something else.. what are they doing to the story?

Edited on by Octane

Inertiacreep

darkfenrir

To be honest I find the Turn Base vs Action a bit silly because in the end as long as it's good to play, does it matter that much... I enjoy both games as long as it's done well.

(So like... does anyone know why they stretch the game to three games though?)

darkfenrir

Inertiacreep

@darkfenrir listen, i like both too... which is why i don't want all of my favorite turn based games turned to action because if i want an action game that's what I'll play..

Inertiacreep

Inertiacreep

@darkfenrir yea i know, obviously they are not changing it... but my point is it's stupid to say turn based won't sell and my opinion is turn based games shouldn't be turned into action games because people want turn based games still and if they want to play action games there are other games to fill that need without ruining all the turn based franchises.

Inertiacreep

darkfenrir

@Inertiacreep mmh, yeah that's true. But there's not much to be done, to be honest... SE is a big company, and the thing it's just that the bigger the company is, the less likely they are to hear opinions (unless it's really massive opinions)

darkfenrir

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.