Forums

Topic: What Game(s) are You Currently Playing?

Posts 321 to 340 of 1,268

Anti-Matter

@NintendoByNature
FF XII was good in gameplay system (Gambit system), Esper design, OST, but really poor in storyline (too boring, too serious, Shakespeare's English level for conversations from elite peoples, weak and almost useless Esper in usage, not so complete magic list)

FF IX was great, better storyline but mediocre character design, only one hit rules, useless Trance mode when got triggered accidentally after battle, no exceeding damage (more than 9999 damage).

FF X was great too, great storyline, unique fictional region and ancient Yevon alphabets , unbelievable Break Damage limit, great gameplay but the outfit design kinda weird like Harajuku style, Aeon was too few, hate the idea of Dark Aeon that blocking the way to re-enter the temples.

I personally do not like FF VII even I have ever played the PS1 version long long time ago, the franchise got derailed too much from unnecessary sequels, Remake with ultra HD graphics that I never like them at all. Even I do not want to play FF VII from Switch version. I only play FF VIII from bundle Twin Pack with FF VII.

Anti-Matter

BruceCM

Oh, that's quick, @Zuljaras .... Perhaps it'll grow on you! What's wrong with the map? There's options about how much info, for people like me who like lots & all the way down to hardly anything
FFXII Zodiac Age is great, @NintendoByNature. More like FFIX than VII but with the gambits system & license board that gets tricky to explain, particularly before you start the game

Edited on by BruceCM

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

MarioVillager92

Played more of Drill Dozer. There was one boss that gave me a ton of trouble...had my first death there.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

BruceCM

Hmm, you won't have uncovered much yet, @Zuljaras .... & Perhaps you'll prefer the look of the various places as you explore, anyway
I just liked being a Viking, going around basically slaughtering Britons!

SW-4357-9287-0699

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM @Anti-Matter good insight thanks. I have VIII in my backlog too. I just really loved the stories in both 7 and 9 and I just couldn't get into X for some reason or another. I'll get back to It at some point. XII will be something I check out when Theres a lull in stuff to play for switch. The gambit season sounds like I'll need to do some bed time reading to fully understand. I'm not familiar with it at all.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Possibly, the grid sphere system in FFX put you off, @NintendoByNature ... The weird thing with it is the 'expert' version isn't really any more complicated than the 'simple' one
You'd want a bit of a guide to that, in which case, might as well go for the better option!
But Zodiac Age at least seems to have improved things from the original version for that game
Yeah & it was more likely my ancestors were the ones they killed than the other way, @Zuljaras. But that's the good thing about the game, you can be the Viking instead

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond - Currently working my way through the post-game content. Thankfully, compared to more recent titles, they retained much of the meaty post-game from the originals. I'm currently working on mining in the Grand Underground, bagging legendaries (already have the two event legendaries I can currently access, plus most of those that were present in the original D/P/Pt), and exploring the Battle Landmass. I expect this will keep me busy for at least a couple of weeks yet.

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - The last game in the prequel trilogy. I'm only about three hours in with 12 puzzles solved, but WHEW....Unlike previous Layton titles, this one doesn't wait long before it gets going. I liked some of the visual changes in Miracle Mask, and Level-5 definitely improved on the 3D designs and rendering here. I'm really wondering what Bronev's deal is - he appeared at the end of Miracle Mask - and why the guy who TOTALLY ISN'T DESCOLE brought Layton and co. along for the ride....He has to have some other motive besides this mysterious girl.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

kkslider5552000

I've been playing a lot of Arkham Knight. Despite my brother getting a PS4 in 2020, this is legitimately my first time playing anything on it, outside of maybe like a demo at a store or PAX.

Took me way too long to get to this one, since the previous three I all played around when they came out. So far my opinion is exactly the same as the general consensus. Good but not as good as the first 2 games.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

Haven't played much lately as I'm still healing after finally finishing Banjo-Kazooie. I played Magical Tetris Challenge for a bit on the GBC, but the terrible quest mode and signal tetris ruined it for me.

@Tyranexx Azran Legacy is probably the best game in the series. Great writing/plot (including one late plot twist that hit me way harder than I expected it to), some astonishing backdrops if you turn up the stereoscopic 3D, and I really enjoyed the more open structure of it.

@kkslider5552000 I will never, ever understand why people prefer City to Knight. The latter just felt so much more well-realized as an open-world adventure. The batmobile added a lot to the game as well, as did the cool Joker/Batman dynamic throughout.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

I will never, ever understand why people prefer City to Knight. The latter just felt so much more well-realized as an open-world adventure. The batmobile added a lot to the game as well, as did the cool Joker/Batman dynamic throughout.

1. At least so far, there is exactly 1 new thing that is interesting for the gameplay and maybe 1 1/2 for story, whereas Arkham City felt notably new compared to Asylum.
2. Arkham City is still practically my go to open world game because its small and thus doesn't want to waste my time like the average game in the genre. (though outside of some of the riddler stuff, so far Knight's open world is still way better than Origin's, partially because of the car)
3. Open world games stopped feeling even remotely novel in the 4 years between City and Knight

I might have a 4th one depending on how I feel on relying more on long term, continuous sidequests rather than shorter one-offs.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Anti-Matter

@NintendoByNature
Gambit System is actually pretty simple.
It worked like Auto Command when you paired up the Subject with specific Command.
The Subjects are Foes, Ally and Yourself.
For example, you can pair Foes with specific condition (let's take Nearby) with Attack command so whenever your character with that Gambit command see any enemies nearby, they will automatically draw their weapon and start to attack any nearby enemies.

You can paired Ally with HP < 50% with Curaja so the character with that Gambit command will cast Curaja on ally who their HP is below than 50% so it will help you to get healed when you keep busy attacking other enemies.

You can paired Self with Supportive magic like Regen / Protect / Faith / etc so they will automatically cast those magics when your character have no supportive condition.

Also, the order of Gambit slots determine which action is more urgent than the other commands. Putting Healing ally when HP is low on the 1st slot then Revive any ally when they are KOed on 2nd slot will have different impact as the character with that Gambit setup will heal the ally first then revive the KOed ally after healing the team. Order of Gambit commands are very important.

About FF X, I think FF X was the first Final Fantasy with Okinawan style as you can hear the Faith hymne and Yuna Dance (Sending Soul Dance) were very Japanese style, added with unique fiction religion Yevon teaching, the Asian style temple with ancient Chinese looking like Yevon alphabets, Al Bhed language with swapped alphabets order so it sounds like exotic alien language, the storyline about breaking the cycle of Sin so no more sacrifice summoners and the Guardian to become Final Aeon as Yu Yevon will take control the Final Aeon to become new Sin. It was like a false tradition to bring peoples hope about peaceful (for temporary time) then when Sin was reborn, the disaster happened again and need sacrifices summoners and Final Aeon to bring the peaceful time temporarily again. Yuna's decision to against with the Final Aeon tradition after she discovered the dark truth of that false tradition was very bold and lead the decision to destroy Yu Yevon and no more Sin reborn. The storyline of FF X was very beautiful as I digest the storyline, with easy to understand English word choices for dubbings than FF XII storyline that delivered with very Shakespeare English level from elite peoples like Ashe / Judges / Vayne Solidor / Larsa like I didn't really understand their English words. Only peoples from lower rank in FF XII like Vaan, Penelo, etc who talked with basic English than the elite peoples.

FF X have some dramatic / memorable moments that I still remembered them than FF XII. I still remembered the horror of being destroyed by Sin (Zarnakand, Kilika, etc), Tidus bad laugh, Yuna Dance to send the souls at Kilika, the truth of Yevon teaching, the truth of Final Aeon pilgrimage, the ending that very bittersweet yet very touchy. I didn't really remember what are the memorable moments from FF XII as the storyline of FF XII was too serious, too many political issues, too many hard to understand English word choices like reading Shakespeare novels, no funny moments like from previous Final Fantasy, etc.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 I still really need to play Origins. Have never touched it, despite picking up City and Knight at launch.

Kinda disappointed the older games never got Switch ports. It'd give me the perfect excuse to revisit them.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

@kkslider5552000 I still really need to play Origins. Have never touched it, despite picking up City and Knight at launch.

Origins has its fans and it has some really cool stuff, but too much of it is just a worse Arkham City for my taste. Also one of the collectibles glitched out of existence when I had spent hours getting nearly all of them by that point so...yeah...

Tyranexx

@Ralizah In that case, it's a good thing I like playing with the 3D effect on! They've already made better use of it in this title IMO. I just started on Chapter 2. I've heard this one does indeed open up later in the exploration department. As for the plot, I do hope it's a step up over the previous two games and at least comes close to Unwound/Lost Future's impact. It seems promising so far.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Sunsy

Been mostly playing Paladins lately, trying to level up the battle pass and earn some rewards, playing between Switch and PC because of cross-progression. Started playing F-Zero GP Legend and Rival Turf on Wii U, and started playing a PC game called Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms. Saw it come up on Steam, so it had me curious.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

trymer89

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: for the very first time ever.

Look, I've never been that big a fan of fighting games in general (although I quite enjoyed Injustice: Gods Among Us) and as such missed out on all previous Smash titles, but the rave reviews really made me feel I'd be missing a truly awesome experience not to purchase this, so I caved and it's been fantastic.

The basic controls are deceptively simple, but encourage you to experiment with a wider array of options in order to really bring out the best in your fighter. The Tourney Online is my go-to session, and even if I don't make it too far (because I am still incredibly new and very much still learning), I still get a chance to know my characters and their fighting styles better.

So far I've only unlocked eight or nine in the World of Light, but I tend to favor Sheik, Kirby, and sometimes Mario/Lucario, while I particularly enjoy Samus and Link online.

Also it's going to be a while, but after this I intend to tackle Super Mario 3-D World + Bowser's Fury.

/ / / |_ () ||

kkslider5552000

I went back to Xenoblade 2 to play its DLC (though I'll play Torna some other time, I already have two other large games to get back to, let alone all the games I haven't started yet).

I have nothing interesting to say about it thus far other than some new quests leading me to some high leveled post-game type monsters that I can often avoid thankfully (and in ways that were less annoying than that one section of chapter 4). I'm mostly just posting this because I was once again reminded that the game's soundtrack was eligible for the 2018 Game Awards, and was not nominated. Inexcusable.

dmcc0

Started Hades last night after having it in the backlog for soooo long, and while it's been good so far I've not really seen anything to justify the GOTY-type hype it was getting. Admittedly, I haven't put too much time into it yet so that may change, but a solid 8/10 though from what I have played.

dmcc0

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic