Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,721 to 10,740 of 12,088

Snatcher

Eagly wrote:

@Euler No it’s more like stealing a game vs GameStop vs dumpster diving at GameStop

Pretty much,

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Ralizah

I'd bet there's a HEAVY intersection between people who "pirate" classic games and people who buy VC, subscribe to NSO, etc. Most just flat out don't care about old games.

It's insane how many old games out there are only accessible today because of fans.

@Heroofthenexus Yep. Easily Nintendo's worst major console to date. The PS1 was superior to an almost laughable degree.

PS1 & PS2 were peak Sony.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

mikegamer

@Euler there's no need to be upset Nintendo owes you nothing, so stop being such a blind white knight sycophantic fanboy.

mikegamer

blindsquirrel

@Ralizah
I think emulating classic games is fine. It’s when people start doing it to new games that I find it to be sketchy. Like Metroid dread for example, and how some news site was promoting just emulating the game and not paying for it.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Matt_Barber

blindsquarel wrote:

@Ralizah
I think emulating classic games is fine. It’s when people start doing it to new games that I find it to be sketchy. Like Metroid dread for example, and how some news site was promoting just emulating the game and not paying for it.

I don't see an issue with emulating new games so long as you've bought and paid for them.

We've just got to move away from the attitude that emulation is always piracy. If you've bought a game you should have the right to play it on whatever hardware you can, via emulation and bypassing any anti-piracy measures that might prevent that, if necessary. That's even what the law says in most jurisdictions.

Matt_Barber

moomin

Eagly wrote:

@Heroofthenexus I can’t comment on Nintendo 64 vs playstation 1 since I had neither but I cant think of a single Nintendo 64 game I want to play in 2022 that hasn’t been remastered all the n64 games worth playing are in a better form on another counsole (usually the ds) Mario 64 DS >>>>>> mario 64 same goes for OOT, Majoras mask and starfox (and smash games replace one another).

I'm sorry but prefering Mario 64 DS over Mario 64 proper is an absolutely insane take.

There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the faults of his feet.

moomin

In terms of unpopular opinions I felt the puzzles (especially the Temples) in Breath of the Wild were dreadful and a big part of why I rank it in the lower echelon of 3D Zeldas (better than the DS iterations but much worse than Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask).

Snatcher

@moomin Waaa, I liked oc of time and majoras makes puzzles, I thought they were creative.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

moomin

@Snatcher Agreed, OoT in particular had simple but satisfying puzzles. I see a lot of people praise BotW puzzles for having multiple solutions but in my experience there was one very obviously intended solution 90% of the time, and I very rarely felt accomplishment from them. If the puzzles were as good as the exploration feel it would be a modern classic, but as it is I find it wildly uneven and disappointing.

Edited on by moomin

Snatcher

@moomin Botw puzzles, just didn’t go all the way with the idea in my opinion, it was there, but the way they were executed, not all that great.

Edited on by Snatcher

Kermit1doesmath

Snatcher wrote:

@moomin Botw puzzles, just didn’t go all the way with the idea in my opinion, it was there, that the way they were executed, not all that great.

This.

dysgraphia awareness human

moomin

I definitely got the feeling of quantity over quality, yeah.

moomin

@Eagly Counter: the graphics are better on a technical level but look (and have aged) worse than the simple cartoony art direction of the original; the controls being locked to a D-pad kills any sort of improvement the camera makes; more content =/= better gameplay; the new characters don't mesh with the original level design (and you're forced to start as Yoshi of all characters).

moomin

Oh crap. I concede defeat.

Euler

Eagly wrote:

@Euler No it’s more like stealing a game from GameStop vs dumpster diving at GameStop

Dumpster diving can be theft. If you search for personal documents to steal someone’s identity, or break into GameStop to look through their garbage it would be. If you’re searching through stuff they left in a public area and it happens to include games (for whatever reason, they didn’t send it back to the publisher for credit as they normally would) it’s fair game.

Heroofthenexus wrote:

@Euler Definitely a shill. I'm sorry, but if you're pissy about the idea of someone downloading a 30 year old game and preserving it for future generations, then you're part of the problem. Flat out, period, no debate.

If it was up to Nintendo, hundreds upon hundreds of classic games would be lost forever. Unable to ever be played again due to "licensing restrictions", or just lack of caring. Eventually old hardware and old games will be unplayable, leaving emulation as the only viable method to enjoy classic titles. And oddly enough, Nintendo's own emulation methods are worse than open source ones. That's another thing you would lose out on.

What a ridiculous comment. There are things called libraries and museums to preserve artwork, books, film, and the like for future generations. Forging a painting and giving out copies of it (while the author is still alive and well, in this case) would be the equivalent of the crappy ROM site you’re shilling for. It’s not about preserving anything, it’s about people like you being too cheap to pay for your games. And it’s incredibly bizarre to trash Nintendo when the games wouldn’t exist at all without the company (along with private property and strong copyright laws).

Euler

VoidofLight

I kind of have to agree with the emulation thing. Having a museum would be preservation, but at the same time no one would actually be able to experience the game. They'll be able to look at the box or see blurbs about it, but they won't actually get to experience the game or play it. So many games are left behind on older systems that people don't own anymore, and there's no current way to get said games, given that the devs won't bring it over, no longer own the IP, or lost the original source code for the game. Thus, in my opinion, Emulation is fair. At least, so long as you can no longer purchase the game anywhere else.

Also, with video game libraries, no company is going to go out of their way to make something like that. They're already disinterested in porting these games to future consoles, so what makes people think they'd open up a library? For a Museum, again it wouldn't work like other mediums, since most of the experience is playing the game, not looking at displays.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Fizza

May as well through my hat onto the ensuing fire that is brewing here by stating my opinion on emulation: I will (try to at least) only emulate games that have either never been re-released or are very unlikely to get re-released on modern platforms any time soon.

I think examples that show off the two sides of this very well are Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Apollo Justice. Paper Mario 64 is one of my absolute favourite N64 games that I've played alongside titles like WinBack, Kirby 64, etc. and TTYD is basically that....but better from what I've heard. However, for whatever reason, one of the most influential RPG's ever made has never (and I mean NEVER) seen a re-release (with the closest thing being backwards-compatability with the Wii) and even now is very unlikely to see one what with the direction PM has taken in the years since and Nintendo's sheer denial to port anything Gamecube to Switch (unless it's Mario Sunshine and maaaaaaybe Zelda TP/WW if we ask nicely). In that case, I'd gladly fire up Dolphin if it was the only way to experience the sequel to one of my favourite games on a modern platform.

In contrast then is Apollo Justice (and by extension the sequel trilogy). Anyone who has seen me on this site knows that I am an absolute AA nutcase (so much so that I'll try and sneak in references whenever I can on comments and such) and I would absolutely kill to play these 3 games. However: I will probably never resort to emulating them. Why? Simple: they've got a modern re-release on phones. I won't be playing the phone versions myself since I think that's an incredibly sub-optimal way to experience them for the first time but it gives me hope that we'll EVENTUALLY see console ports and be able to experience the way that I want to experience them (I've heard AJ described as both the best and worst entry in the series and that makes me really damn excited to play it and see why that is ).

There's plenty more examples I could give for both sides but I think you get my point. TLDR; I'll only consider emulating something if there is literally no other option.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

moomin

I go to the library every so often and they have a huge game section with PS2/3/4, Wii U and Switch games, along with a large anime/manga selection, and when I see it I always think "damn, wish I had all this when I was in middle school". This isn't even a big city library.

Anyway, more to the point, it would be cool if game preservationists teamed up to make an interactive museum. Give a chance for people to experience super rare games like Gimmick!, prototypes and early builds, unrelease stuff, games on old home computers like the X6800, hosting exhibitions for different devs, etc. (Games & monitors behind glass to prevent theft of course).

Also, there is absolutely no moral conundrum in emulating games that are no longer available to purchase. That's absurd. Is legally buying overpriced crap from retro resellers any different?

VoidofLight

@moomin The thing about making a museum that's interactive is even then, I'd imagine most people would want to play older games in the comfort of their own home, on their own time, instead of going to another place where tons of other people gather, having to wait in lines just to play a game, only for the place to close down for the day soon after.

Also, with checking games out at libraries, some people might not have the console for said games, which would hinder the point greatly. Not to mention for people who want to get a game in pristine condition, they'll have to worry about what the last person who borrowed the game did to it.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic