Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,741 to 10,760 of 10,762

Matt_Barber

VoidofLight wrote:

@Matt_Barber Eh, I don't think Covid had any play with New Horizons ending up like it did. Nintendo just decided to release a game and say "Eh, we'll finish it later". It was just circumstance that it sold as well as it did.

I'm not sure how anyone could misinterpret what I wrote as even meaning that. Obviously the timing was fortuitous. It's not like anyone even knew COVID lockdowns would be a thing when they set the release date.

Also, they clearly had some minimal standard that the launch content had to meet because they'd already delayed it once. If they truly didn't care at all about the state of it, they probably would have released it for the previous holiday season.

Matt_Barber

Ralizah

@VoidofLight Well, see, had they doubled down on the social aspect, it would have been fine as well. Replace the locus of social simulation so that real friends are the focus of the simulation. I could have adapted very well to that. But somehow this latest AC game has nothing to actually do with friends. Not even the little island activities that New Leaf had. It's less a "play with friends" game and more of a "narcissistically show off to friends" game. In that sense, I suppose, it's no wonder the game exploded in popularity like it did.

@TheAceOfGurren Thinking RE6 is the best game in the series is one hell of a hot take.

On the other hand, even though BotW is my favorite game in the series, I'm not really inclined to disagree with you about its dungeons. I imagine most fans are the same. Clearly they were the aspect of the game that enjoyed the least development this go around.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

VoidofLight

@Ralizah Eh, even if it switched focus to playing with friends, I probably wouldn't have bought the game. I don't have many people to play with, so that's why I enjoy primarily playing the game as a solo experience, but on the front of both a multiplayer and solo game, it fails at both, only serving to be what you said, a game where you build things and then show it off to everyone.

Currently Playing: Persona 3 Portable and Pokemon White 2!

kkslider5552000

Resident Evil 6 is one of my least favorite experiences playing a game. I played through Leon's campaign (apparently the highlight of the game?) and it was linear to the point of feeling personally insulted (FFXIII hallway levels of obnoxiously linear), and cynically designed to appeal to dumb Michael Bay action movie fans with no regard of nearly anything else but "what if RE4 but desperately appealing to a more mainstream audience!" Not to mention genuinely unfair in stupid ways that make me regret ever complaining about the RE4 QTE knife fight, and entirely missing every single aspect that made RE4 a good video game outside of the most basic, back of the box, elements of it (and 5 I guess). At least Sonic 06 I can look at from a distance and laugh at it, this was just later COD campaigns, designed by marketing, artless, empty, no fun at all trash. And then people play with their friends and get distracted enough to then pretend the game is good actually because literally any game is better with friends around (or maybe they're the same people who give every Ubisoft game good reviews because they think moment to moment gameplay competence (not fun, competence) is the only measurement of if a game is good or not).

It's not good, is what I'm saying.

I know some people hate it for not being survival horror. I don't care about a ton of Resident Evil beyond 4 tbh, so its not that. It's just obviously a bad, miserable waste of time.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Magitek_Knight

I like Age of Calamity more than I liked BOTW.

Most open world games should have an option to skip travel segments between actual game content.

For that matter, I prefer well-designed levels in a linear game over a vast (and usually empty) open world.

Resident Evil 7 and 8 are better than Resident Evil 4.

Paladin, Oath of Eternal Dorkness

I didn't like Breath of the Wild, have I mentioned it yet today?

Ralizah

Magitek_Knight wrote:

Resident Evil 7 and 8 are better than Resident Evil 4.

Not entirely sure this is an unpopular opinion. They're such wildly different types of games that, I think, it comes down more to whether your preferences lie more with action or horror.

Ralizah

Magitek_Knight

@Ralizah You're probably right. And don't get me wrong, I played the heck out of RE4 (to the point that I failed a math final because RE4 was more fun than studying) but I suppose bringing a fresh perspective to the series was a great move on Capcom's part in both RE4's case and RE7's. They've been smart about realizing when the formula is getting stale.

Though, there are few more guilty of the "slightly updated rerelease".

Another perhaps not that unpopular opinion:
Square treats Chrono Trigger like dirt when it's one of their finest achievements.

Edited on by Magitek_Knight

Ralizah

@Magitek_Knight I still need to play RE7 and 8. I hear they're good. But... I dunno. I'm not into the first-person perspective. Especially for a series like Resident Evil.

RE2R was a tremendous take on a modern survival horror formula. I'm a little sad it seems like we won't be getting future mainline titles in that style.

Ralizah

kkslider5552000

Magitek_Knight wrote:

I like Age of Calamity more than I liked BOTW.

I can see it. I might've even agreed if I had played it immediately after BOTW. But I also love both Hyrule Warriors games more than seemingly the vast majority of people.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Magitek_Knight

@Ralizah RE2R was well done but it just never feels as creepy or interesting as the original RE2 for me. There are things I like about it, and it's certainly grosser than the original (which for its time was pretty gross in its own right) but a lot of the environments look and feel samey with the flashlight and the sneaking/stealth segment with Sherry was annoying.

@kkslider5552000 I mean I consider 60 of my 85 hours in BOTW to be some of the most miserable aimless slogging I've ever experienced in a game, so it's not a high bar to clear for me to like something better. I get what they were going for in BOTW but it didn't work for me and I wish it wasn't such a radical departure.

Oddly AOC combines two things that have disappointed me lately, in a sense- BOTW and beat em ups (since I didn't like Streets of Rage 4's weird mechanics) into a package I'm really enjoying.

Anti-Matter

Epic Chef should deserved for more appreciation as I really digging with this game on PS4. The cooking process with calculating the numbers of flavors was pretty challenging as you have to find the good combination to multiply the flavor points in order to defeat your opponent. Also, manipulating the aroma during cooking will determine the judging and the result.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Buizel
  • Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are very nice looking games, at least in the overworld. Although they could have been more ambitious with redesigning Sinnoh, the overworld style plays great homage to the originals while looking all the more beautiful in HD, with added 3D effects. The battles look awful though.
  • I'm not really a fan of how overtly new Pokemon regions are based on real-life locations these days. I realise Pokemon regions have always been based on real-life locations, but it feels like the real-world locations having been increasingly getting the spotlight and, personally, it affects my immersion into these worlds. Not only do I find region design to be negatively affected (what's with the highly urban Unova having a random desert and icy cave tacked on?), but the Pokemon design as well (just look at the overt "Britishness" of Gen 8 designs - I personally really don't like Alcremie or Polteageist).
  • Sonic Heroes is the best translation of classic Sonic gameplay into 3D, and doesn't get nearly enough appreciation. That's not to say it's the best 3D Sonic game, however (that award would go to Sonic Generation).
  • The Sonic Advance games are almost as good as Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. almost. And much better than Sonic CD.
  • Special stages and collecting the chaos emeralds overall detracts from most Sonic games. I can't stand the change of pace introduced by the special stages - please just let me platform in peace.

At least 2'8".

cordova94

I can't tolerate any game with any sort of post-nuclear apocalypse element or setting because the lack of realism infuriates me to no end. I suppose that is due to my job and the fact that it also involves continuously being met with resistance based on fear-driven fantasy (which btw, is not something I am reacting to in a derisive way, fear is fear and it's sad that anyone lives with it at all, much less for things that aren't fact). But I also have myself to blame because I can't help but get excited every time for some visibility and then I quickly fall into dismay.

This goes for movies and tv shows for the most part as well (with a few notable exceptions and obviously not including documentaries).

Currently Playing: Super Mario Sunshine (3D All-Stars), Octopath Traveler
Friend Code: SW-5717-7937-5089

Rambler

@cordova94
You work in a post- nuclear catastrophe environment?!?!

No Ni Kuni - I'm sure the game is fun, but that thing with the lantern nose is proper irritating. And what's with the variable quality in graphics? One second it does look like a Ghibli film, the next it's rough as

Rambler

cordova94

@Rambler hahaha no, but I work in nuclear safety (for the regulator) and so that involves dissemination scientific and technical information to the public......and therefore, I hear a lot of misinformation-based fear.......and some of the stuff ends up looking a lot like what media like games and movies present as the results of nuclear accidents and such.

I imagine this isn't unique to my field either. I'm sure doctors dread sitting through any medical dramas in the same way. We just can't enjoy the entertainment value when we are that close to it...... haha.

Currently Playing: Super Mario Sunshine (3D All-Stars), Octopath Traveler
Friend Code: SW-5717-7937-5089

Snatcher

I hate it whenever you make a new game plus in games you have to go over the whole tutorial again, it’s very annoying, and I know it’s just that, new game with more stuff, but by saying that your saying you know the player beat the game already, so why do I have to do the tutorial section or beginning portion of the game?

If there is stuff to collect I understand, but times in which this is not the case, just never made sense to me to have to play the whole thing over again.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

blindsquarel

@Snatcher
I think it depends on the quality of the tutorial. For example, Spider-Man ps4. This may sound weird, but it was one of the more memorable parts of the game for me. And it is in my top five games. But if the tutorial is bad I can certainly see why this would be a problem.

blindsquarel

Snatcher

@blindsquarel Stuff like that is dynamic, and a joy to play again, but when it’s just me moving around just to set the story, it’s very annoying, specifically when it’s a long one too.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

blindsquarel

@Snatcher
Yeah I can see that. Even though this isn’t technically new game plus, the long opening of dream team is legit the only reason it isn’t the best in the series for me.

blindsquarel

Snatcher

@blindsquarel I never played it, but seen it, and thats the stuff i'm talking about, what if dream team had a knew game plus? That means you would have to go through that whole thing over again, and fair once its over its over but its still boring as a wall to play again.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic