Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,161 to 10,180 of 12,088

Sunsy

I really don't like the term "dead game" being used when describing an online multiplayer game that still has a pretty active player base. It seems to be the go to phrase whenever a game loses some players, even though a lot are still online playing it.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

blindsquirrel

@Sunsy
Once popular streamers and you tubers stop posting a game is supposedly dead. I don’t get this logic either.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Sunsy

@blindsquarel Yup, similar to how I mentioned awhile back how Twitch numbers determines how many people are playing online games. There's many people who play online, but don't stream on Twitch, YouTube, etc. As far as I know, Twitch numbers may be just people watching. They might not have said game, or just watching to check out what the game is like.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Snatcher

@Sunsy I don’t get it ether, fall guys doesn’t have many streamers if at all, yet I can get on to a game, easy, everyday.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Sunsy

@Snatcher Yeah, that to me says it's still a pretty active game. An online game that's truly dead is one that does not have any players playing at all. Also, playing some older online games on PC from the early to mid 2000's, I still see people playing in them. Not as many as their heyday, but still a decent amount to play a few games with.

Edited on by Sunsy

Snatcher

@lolwhatno Im so sorry I got to you so late LOL. I don't know my states as I don't have the game up, as for a build, well I kinda make one up as I go along, saying as this is my first souls game, its something I need to learn.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Pizzamorg

I think we might have had this discussion in this thread before? But nothing makes me feel older than streamer culture. Like I just don't get it.

I mean that isn't fully true, I get the fundamentals of it and in fact hang out in a few smaller streamer communities because it just feels like a couple of buddies hanging out. But when it comes to the bigger streamers, I feel like all logic and common sense seems to go out the window.

People seem to weight so much importance on these streamers opinions, despite them being technically completely worthless. Are at least with no more worth than really anyone playing your game, at least. Like actual games companies will make decisions based on a streamers opinion, but it's literally just a kid in his bedroom. These people are nobodies almost all the time.

Like I recognise the grind, especially now when the scene is so congested, but they don't have any actual education or experience in gaming at all - at least most of the time. Usually, they are just regular people and if anything, probably more out of touch than the core playerbases of most games, because their lifestyle of playing games for like 16 hours a day 6 days a week is going to make them process games very differently to your more ordinary folks who are lucky to get 16 hours in in an entire week.

And to pre-empt - you are right, you don't need to be able to make something yourself, to be able to critique as a consumer, but you wouldn't base your entire franchises direction because Terry down the local gaff says he doesn't like X aspect. But apparently we do do this for streamers, even though they may be no more knowledgeable or insightful than Terry is.

I just think the world is really weird.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Sunsy

@Pizzamorg Yup, when I brought up the talk about how people act like Twitch number gauge a game's popularity. Though, I more or less meant the opinion of saying a game is dead, because it lost some players. I enjoy playing online games, but sometimes life gets busy and I have things I need to do, so I can't be in an online game 24/7.

It doesn't mean I'm not going to play again, I'll play again when I have free time and in the mood to play it, and I'm sure it's like that for other people.

That's why I really don't like the opinion when a game loses players, it's dead. I've seen online games where there's no players playing, and I consider those to be dead and inactive, than a game with hundreds or thousands of people playing, and you can still get into a game and play.

Snatcher

@lolwhatno You too, Its just such a fun game, I heard there is a new game plus, and I'm not sure if I'm going to do one. But I do know a quest line I want to do.

Fizza

Inkling in Smash Ultimate is, without question, the most disappointing character ever in the series for me.

I love Splatoon. I have over 100 hours in Splatoon 2 and it's one of the most creative and fun shooters I've ever played. However, when playing as them in Smash, they don't really feel anything like their source material. They have the attitude and personality, which you could argue is a hallmark of Splatoon, but honestly? Nothing else really works for me. Instead of their weapons or turf covering being the primary method of their playstyle, it's instead mainly dominated by... kicks? Inkling legs don't do ANYTHING in Splatoon except slowly trundle about on land and yet THEY are the main focus of their playstyle?

It's stuff like this, combined with them feeling like any other rushdown character, makes me think: why don't I just play someone like Mario? They give me a better power trip whilst also feeling more faithful to their original games (Mario's whole thing is that he jumps, giving him an aerial based playstyle makes perfect sense).

In short, Inkling in Smash is undercooked calimari and I wish that wasn't the case.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Snatcher

@Fizza You will say sorry to my main! Or else you will get Rolled over! (JK, Its your opinion) But I sadly, disagree, I actually do think there playstyle is about inking turf, as I think using your B to shoot ink at foes, and then using the kicks to rack up the damage, I think represents them pretty well, I don't think enough inklings use there normal B.
But hey, your opinion, respect.

Now if we are talking about under cooked fighters, Banjo fits all that TBH, they feel like a worse mario, but a not worse mario?

Edited on by Snatcher

Euler

@Fizza Some fighters fit their source material better than others, but there has to be some artistic licence. They have to make it work with the overall nature of the fighting game.

Euler

Fizza

@Snatcher I just kind of wished that was their entire thing, you know? Not saying your main is bad at all though (mine is Ice Climbers, I think my opinion is invalid on this matter).

@Euler It just feels like too much of a leap to make based on the original games. The personality is perfect but at the expense of what makes Splatoon unique from a gameplay standpoint, imo.

Snatcher

@Fizza OMG you main ice climbers? Tips give me, even tho I will never get the guts to play online again ):

I know you don't think Inkling is bad as a character, you just wish they delved more into its premise when it came to playstyle, which I get, there are a few characters on the roster I wish did this, I do think inkling does a good job of bringing there gamestyle to a fighting game to be fair, saying as they are the only real character that comes from a shooter. (And no samus doesn't count)

(And trust me your opinion is very valid, as there are points I agree with as well)

Edited on by Snatcher

Fizza

@Snatcher You want a guide to Ice Climbers? Dash attack into up air. It's stupid, it probably doesn't work against most people, but when it does it is the greatest thing mankind has been given.

Also you absolutely hit the nail on the head in regards to my thoughts.

Edited on by Fizza

Snatcher

@Fizza man, how do you play online without your heart beating out of your chest lol. Thanks for the tips also.

Happy I could sum your thoughts up.

Edited on by Snatcher

Ralizah

@WaveBoy Seventh gen almost killed gaming for me. Japanese home console game development almost died out entirely. Survival horror DID die out. Capcom started chasing the almighty American dollar hard and temporarily ruined Resident Evil in the process. That gen introduced the multiplatform blockbuster game development model, which has only made gaming worse. PS3 was too expensive and had hardly any interesting exclusives. 360 was better, but had a terrible controller. Nintendo went all in on a gimmicky remote-shaped controller, and the Pro Controller attachment was wildly inferior to the GameCube controller before it.

Ironically, despite not liking the Wii, it was Super Mario Galaxy that reinvigorated both my love for the medium and my attachment to Nintendo as a developer.

Eighth gen hasn't been perfect, but it's miles better than the dark days of the early HD era.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

I'm a bit kinder to 7th gen gaming, but am painfully aware of every issue that came from it, especially as a fan of japanese games.

To be fair, while a lot of the trends were bad, there were some cool, western types of games that got to reach a deserved mainstream success after a long time of being comparably niche, sometimes PC-centric titles, which quite frankly meant I could play a lot more of them. Valve's whole lineup, the Bioshock games, the Elder Scrolls games, Red Faction: Guerilla, the Arkham games, the Mass Effect trilogy, Rockstar's games, Dead Space (aka the best follow up to RE4), Deus Ex. I love all these games, among others. But compared to the previous generation, its so obvious what was sacrificed for it. Between genres and loads of game studios and the relevance of a good chunk of Japanese gaming studios, bad times. Like I didn't even mean to only list games from like 3 genres, that's just how things worked out.

Though I'll largely defend the Wii. I played more than enough games that genuinely used motion controls well and in ways that were even an improvement from normal controls, even if occasionally novelty and interesting ideas overshadowed truly great controls (looking at you, Zack and Wiki). And it could play games normally anyway, so I just found motion controls to be a boringly normal example of "if done well, they're good" and avoided bad games that did them poorly, because they would usually be bad games regardless. I like the Wiimote + Nunchuck for normal games, its weird but I thought it worked quite well. Also, buying old games will never feel as cool as VC did specifically in 2007.

But all that said, the decline of Japanese gaming, the decline of mid tier gaming, the decline of multiple interesting genres, and games with a middle ground between open world and hallway and primary colors and RARE. Awful, hated it.

Honestly, western AAA gaming in enough ways I'd actually argue is so much worse now. Like last year, it felt like it was almost dead, just a greedy corpse that's still moving somehow. It's just that everything else can make up for it now.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

I got a lot of kids games from 7th gen consoles (PS3 + Wii + XBOX 360).
I like the casual games from Wii, PS3 and XBOX 360 including PS3 Move and Kinect XBOX 360 games.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

lolwhatno wrote:

@Pizzamorg I'm mostly with you here. What I don't understand personally is following/chatting big streamers, like the chat scrolls so quickly that you have a 1/10000 chance to be noticed. And then what? you try again? You can watch, but why type in the chat?
Meanwhile with small streamers, as you said, it's a closer connection.

Right? They spend like their month's salary for the streamer to notice them for like 2 seconds, then they move on to the other thousands flooding in. How is that enjoyable?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic