Forums

Topic: The Unoffical TV Show Mega Thread

Posts 901 to 920 of 978

Mana_Knight

Does anyone have any recommendations for shows with the 'same vibe' (quirky/colourfuloff-beat/not violent or sex filled) as Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, and Pushing Daisies?

I am struggling to fill that void, and not sure I can.

Yes, they were all Bryan Fuller created shows and the man just has something so special. Such a shame none did well viewing wise back in the day and he has had to shy away from original creations.

His adaption work does not really interest me. (Hannibal/Star Trek/American Gods.)

Ideally things that can be found on DVD. I don't have any streaming services.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have never seen any, they are wonderful shows.

Edited on by Mana_Knight

Mana_Knight

SmashBall35

@WoomyNNYes
Tysm for the suggestions! I’ll be sure to check them out.

I love the it goes wrong show!! I found it by accident, but it’s probably one of my favorite shows ever.

“I paused my game to be here” -SmashBall35

If you are responding to me in forums or a comment I would much appreciate it if you quoted or tagged me in your responses so I can see it and respond. Otherwise I usually can’t tell that you’ve replied. Thanks!

WoomyNNYes

FishyS wrote:

The fact that you quoted Wednesday, Baki Hamna, and Pentaverate makes me assume my Netflix watchlist is almost identical to yours. Any other good suggestions? I'm looking for a show too and those 3 are 3 of my recent favorites.

Well, I'm a bit late to the party using streaming services. So What I've watched this year may be obvious, or things you've seen already:
The Sandman (written by Neil Gaiman(he wrote some Doctor Who episodes))
RRR - indian action movie
Time Trap - This looks like a sci-fi B movie for teens, but it was a decent watch, I thought.
Love Death & Robots - series of short stories. I started with the bejewed Indian water goddess looking episode, and ended up like all but 2 or 3 of the episodes.
Comedians in Cars
Stranger Things
*Gatta Kusthi - This is a wild card, an indian movie. This was suggested after I watched RRR. It's kind of a family friendly rom com. Saw a trailer showing the girl beating some guys, and gave it a shot.🤣

Other stuff I watched and liked this year (I was late to the party)
Disney: Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett

Not on netflix.
The Ark on syfy. I pushed through the first episode and was entertained enough to watch the full season.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

jump

@Mana_Knight I use to watch Dead Like Me. I fancied Georgia rotten as a kid as sardonic girls were my type.

Not a massive like for like but Mrs Davis is exhausting to explain the premise however it’s got a bright, witty vibe to it. There’s also Daria the old MTV cartoon which comes to mind (the DVDs remove the licences music though which is a shame) has an incredibly sardonic lead and is from a similar era, you’ve probably heard of it already but The Good Place is decent, Russian Doll about a women who dies and get caught in a time loop, there’s a British show called Extraordinary about a witty and flawed 20 something with no super powers in a world where everyone has superpowers, this is the least like for like but it has a similar mood Dead Pixels about 3 people who obsess about a video game.

WoomyNNYes wrote:

The Sandman (written by steven moffat)

No it’s not. It’s based on a Neil Gaiman comic series and had no involvement from Moffat.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Mana_Knight

@jump Thanks so much. I will look into the things you said. Yes, I have seen the Good Place! That is very much of the same ilk, especially with the colour grading & humour, so you understand what I was going for Much appreciated.

Mana_Knight

Mana_Knight

@Jump. Yes. It was shame the actress has retired from acting. (Ellen Muth) as she was very good! I am glad we got a movie out of it a few years after, After Death, even if some things were a bit odd, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Mana_Knight

FishyS

@WoomyNNYes Thanks, I think I'll try Sandman; I've read a couple Neil Gaiman novels in the past and enjoyed them.

By the way, if you like Love Death and Robots, I would suggest Black Mirror on Netflix as well - same general idea with every episode being a completely separate often bizarre sci-fi-ish story. The main difference is black mirror episodes are 1-2 hours. Like Love Death and Robots, some episodes are much better than others, but there are some really interesting ones in the mix.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

FishyS

jump wrote:

Russian Doll about a women who dies and get caught in a time loop,

Did you watch the second season? I quite enjoyed the first season, but I haven't tried the second because it feels weird there even is a second season.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

jump

@Mana_Knight yeah, the movie came too late and it hurt that Mandy Patinkin didn’t come back as I think he was doing Homeland at the time.

@FishyS oh it’s completely unnecessary, it would have been perfect it they had finished it with a single season. There’s a new wrinkle rather than a time loop again at least though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

DiamondCore

I’m currently in the middle of rewatching an old show I used to watch, and that is:

• Ninjago
    — I grew up with this show, and I recently found out nearly all the episodes are available online for free so I decided to start a re-watchathon of the entire series! It actually holds up really well, it’s criminally underrated and deserves the praise ATLA and Gravity Falls gets.

I do:have some recommendations overall for y’all:
1 - Ninjago (obviously)
— Just get past the weird animation in the pilots/season 1 and you’ll probably love this (I think this is the best tv show of all time, but I can’t explain why in a forum post)

2 - The Tales of Arcadia franchise.
— This is my second-favorite show and that’s for a reason. It’s not just nostalgia but also the fact it has a genuinely great story. Season 2 alone of Trollhunters has some really hard-hitting moments and it is overall really solid!
— Though just ignore the ending of the movie, the movie uniting the 3 series together properly has a pretty bad ending that you should just consider non-canon.

3 - Noguchis Bell
— As you can tell at this point, I am an animation fanatic. What makes this series unique is the fact it was made on a PS4 with a DualShock 4, it’s not finished completely yet (2/15 episodes available) and it’s not perfect but what we have is technologically impressive, I’d check it out! (You can find it on YouTube)

I won’t list anymore as to not overload this list, thanks for reading!

Pretty much inactive
-=-=-=-
Development (B)log: https://diamondcore.itch.io/monochromia-dcs
Reviews: https://letterboxd.com/diamondcore/
Currently Playing: Suprisingly, nothing.

WoomyNNYes

Ohhh, @Budda! I've spotted your signature, "Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind". That's what Peter Capaldi said (as the Doctor) just before he regenerated.<33 That next Doctor Who special can't come soon enough! (November) I'm so looking forward to David Tennant & Russel T Davies' return, and I think we're getting a christmas episode this year!

'Tendo liker

Budda

@WoomyNNYes
For once I'm glad Disney+ exists. It was pretty hard to watch Doctor Who recently here in Germamy. Fox Germany did it pretty good with airing it almost simultaneity to the BBC. But it suddenly stopped at the end of Capaldi's era. Disney distributing new episodes world wide from now on is kind of a relief.

Edited on by Budda

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

jump

WoomyNNYes wrote:

"Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind". That's what Peter Capaldi said (as the Doctor) just before he regenerated.

I always found it odd the most cantankerous and one of the oldest Doctors is the one to talk about running around and being kind. Especially when I’m so use to Peter Capaldi in The Thick Of It where he’s the feared sweary politician, The Doctor should have dropped some f-bombs like Malcolm Tucker!

Nicolai wrote:

WoomyNNYes

@Budda @jump I didn't realize we get 4 new episodes for November-December of this year. If IMDB's release dates are to be believed. Maybe I knew and forgot in this long wait between seasons. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/episodes/?season=14

Dang, up until now, I'd always bought & ripped new Doctor Who mp4s from itunes for my digital library. With Disney taking over, I'm not sure iTunes will get these new Doctor episodes for me to buy & rip.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

jump

@Budda @WoomyNNYes you could always try a VPN to watch Doctor Who.

Nicolai wrote:

WoomyNNYes

@jump For the new shows coming, I was intending on subscribing to disney+. Up until now, I watched new Doctor Who episodes on TV on the BBC America channel. (I only used iTunes on the side to buy mp4s of episodes I liked, and stripped the drm with a software application). If I get tired of subbing to disney, I may have to look into trying a VPN.

(oof. Now that the doctor is exclusive to disney outside of UK, I bet itunes won't get new episodes for me to buy & rip. Dang it. I really like having a digital library.)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

blindsquirrel

Has The new season of Total Drama been released in America yet? I can’t find anything online about it and don’t want to spend money on HBO max if it isn’t yet.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

jump

Fudge me The West Wing is good! I saw an odd episode or two years ago and I generally like Sorkin’s work so I’m giving it a proper watch now.

It’s oddly really feel good by offering this idealistic look at a world with lots of banter and quips without pandering in discussions and it’s intelligence as well as there’s literally multiple lines in the show that makes me stop and think about things in the real life. For a show that is basically people talking they don’t half arse it either by constantly having the camera moving, there’s more cinematography going on than a lot of big budget CGI blockbusters.

Add a lightsaber, some gangster gunfights and a CGI talking animal sidekick and they could have a hit on their hands!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic