Forums

Topic: The Unoffical TV Show Mega Thread

Posts 881 to 900 of 978

blindsquirrel

@Owl1
Mark my words, we will get a Fortnight cartoon someday.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Kermit1doesmath

@blindsquarel I think that's happening.

sidenote: that new "story mode" is a scam, it's cut content they are selling for a premium to squeeze out more money from the 9yo's.

dysgraphia awareness human

blindsquirrel

@Owl1
They have a story mode now? I quit playing that game after eighth grade.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Kermit1doesmath

blindsquarel wrote:

@Owl1
They have a story mode now? I quit playing that game after eighth grade.

I have never played it, and never will. Long story short, it was originally gonna be in the game but then it took off like it did and Epic saw the $$$$$ in skins and choose to milk choose instead of an undercooked pretty bad story, but now since Fort-niters will buy anything they're releasing it now to grab another $20.

Yes, like $20 for a really basic story mode with just wave-based enemies levels and nothing else.

Professor_Plumber wrote:

It was inevitable honestly

but Infinity Train creator...

dysgraphia awareness human

RR529

Gunbuster (Blu-Ray)

I'd only ever seen the abridged film cut of this until now, so when I learned that Discotek had released an HD remaster of the original OVAs in full I had to nab it. Glad I did too, as this is anime at it's peak.

The real star of the show are the various mechs, ships, aliens, and heck the world building & design in general. Immaculately detailed (the insane interior detail of the cockpits is head and shoulders above anything in modern anime. Chef's kiss) with a real "lived in" vibe, it's easy to get immersed in the world envisioned. The real cherry on top is how seriously it takes the fictional science of how it all works, providing in depth explanation of the theories involved while peppering in real world scientific discoveries, mostly during after episode "science lesson" skits hosted by the central characters.

The story itself follows young pilot Noriko from her days in high school (albeit one designed around grooming the next generation of mech pilots), to her days as a new recruit soon overwhelmed by the realities of war, culminating in her transformation into a warrior who will stand back for nothing in order to save humanity's future. It may perhaps be nothing particularly special on it's own, but I love how the tone of the series grows along with Noriko over the 6 part runtime. The first episode can be downright silly, with students doing everything from jump rope to personal after school scuffles in their training mechs, but by the last episode everything is presented in a striking widescreen monochrome view that really sets the tone for the gravity of the dire straights our heroines (and humanity) find themselves in.

Sure, there are a few things I could nitpick, such as a romance subplot surrounding "Coach" that feels underdeveloped, and the decision to depict a big battle in the last episode via a series of storyboard like sketches, however it's so strong elsewhere I don't think these amount to much.

Also, I'm very much not going to complain when they usually find the time once an episode to indulge in a little gratuitous nudity/fanservice.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DanijoEX-the-Pierrot

Was watching Skull Island (by Legendary) and it was pretty interesting. The animation was very good but the pacing was quite grating to be honest. Kong, of course, was awesome.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter:

ZeldaFan83

Really wished The Witcher season 3 was good. Terrible for most of the season.

That episode with ciri in the desert, holy cow that was next level bad.

ZeldaFan83

XandertheWise

finishing up on Season 1 of Babylon 5 on Tubi. watching Babylon Squared and then off to watching Season 2 of Babylon 5

XandertheWise

Tasuki

Sadly to hear of the passing of Johnny Hardwick who voiced Dale Gribble A.K.A. Rusty Shackelford on King of the Hill. Now it just brings to mind who they are going to get to voice Dale in the revival if they will even included him. They might do like Lucky and Luanne and write him out somehow.

But still he was my favorite character on the show and definitely that was because Johnny Hardwick voicing him.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Fizza

Been watching the 2017 reboot of Ducktales for the first time lately on Disney+ (watched a lot of episodes of it when I was younger but never properly watched the whole thing from start to finish until now) and man: it is so ducking good dude.

The way it fleshes out the personalities and history of all these classic Disney characters (the main trio of Hewey, Dewey and Louie as well as Webby especially), the animation/artstyle has such a classic yet modern feel to it (almost like you're watching an animated graphic novel imo), pretty much every episode has insanely engaging premises while also adding to the overarching story playing out in the background ('The Last Crash of the Sunchaser' is one of my favourite episodes in television history) and the voice cast is utterly superb (David Tennant as Scrooge is still and will always continue to be one of the most inspired casting choices I've ever seen). I just finished Season 1 last night and have already made a sizeable dent into Season 2, this show is fantastic man: WOO-DUCKING-OOO!!!

also I won't spoil what happens exactly but man: having THAT song from the NES game play as the main leitmotif of THAT episode is just PERFECTION

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

skywake

You know, I really do enjoy Only Murders in the Building. Great show. But damn, Selena Gomez' mumbling really does annoy the **** out of me.....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

FishyS

I've played Scott Pilgrim games but never watched or read any other media. I'm interested in the new show:

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

WoomyNNYes

SmashBall35 wrote:

Does anyone know of a really good Netflix series? I’m almost done with the current show I’m watching, and would like to find another one but I’m not sure what to watch. Anyone have a recommendation? I like more animated (fantasy/action or comedy) shows, but I’m willing to branch out. Preferably the rating is pg, but pg-13/14 is ok. Thank you!

EDIT: Forgive me. Some of these are Mature. I prefer to avoid mature stuff, too.

Wednesday - Its good if you push through the first episode.
Baki Hamna - anime, amusingly over the top tough guys in it.
Dracula - from 2020, a good dracula mini series from bbc, I think. 3 episodes.
The Pentaverate - mike myers comedy that seems inspired by The Venture Bros. Its rated mature, but I didnt' think it deserved the mature rating. Maybe it got a mature rating for nake guy in one of the later episdoes?

I'm assuming you've watched or know about One Punch Man - anime.

The Dune movie from the 80s is on netflix, if you've never seen that.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

WoomyNNYes

@SmashBall35 Oh, have you tried The Goes Wrong Show? A bbc comedy, season one is free on youtube, pluto, roku. I started with the christmas episode. If you like that, there's a special: Christmas Carol Goes Wrong, it's on Roku.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

FishyS

WoomyNNYes wrote:

Wednesday - Its good if you push through the first episode.
Baki Hamna - anime, amusingly over the top tough guys in it.
The Pentaverate - mike myers comedy that seems inspired by The Venture Bros. Its rated mature, but I didnt' think it deserved the mature rating. Maybe it got a mature rating for nake guy in one of the later episdoes?

The fact that you quoted Wednesday, Baki Hamna, and Pentaverate makes me assume my Netflix watchlist is almost identical to yours. Any other good suggestions? I'm looking for a show too and those 3 are 3 of my recent favorites.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

jump

WoomyNNYes wrote:

I remember you talking about that at the time. You watched it as Doctor Who’s Steve Moffat made it, right? You may want to try Inside Man another mini-series he made which is on Netflix. It stars David Tennant and Stanly Tucci about a Vicar who accidentally kidnaps someone. It has a few too many silly and far fetched moments in it (I screamed fudge off multiple times at the telly) but it’s still decent.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic