Forums

Topic: The Unoffical TV Show Mega Thread

Posts 861 to 880 of 978

Kermit1doesmath

@Professor_Plumber I got spoiled for The Flash movie... I kinda don't wanna see it now because of one single fan service scene... If an actor is dead let them rest in peace.

I'm looking at you company that made a fake James Dean that is probably better now than when you first talked about it.

dysgraphia awareness human

Kermit1doesmath

Professor_Plumber wrote:

@Owl1 Yeah the ending makes me think there's some twist to it...
Also thsnk you for trying to make me forget that the bad show is somehow coming back

It's sadly not gonna be a horror show... Though this is RR we are talking about, this could be a Deadpool thing.

RR529

Finished up the entire series of To-Love-Ru on Blu-Ray a couple weeks ago. Pretty much an homage (or knock off) of Urusei Yatsura that sees regular Earth high schooler Rito Yuki accidentally engaged to an alien princess (Lala) after she mistakes his confession to the girl he likes (Haruna) as directed at her, and romantic harem shenanigans ensue.

To-Love-Ru (season 1) - the longest of the 4 seasons at 26 episodes (the other 3 have 12-14 each), this is also the most run of the mill harem comedy of them all. It features all the staples, with Haruna as the "girl next door", Mikado as the "sexy nurse", Tenjouin as the "snobby rich girl", Yui as the "uptight student council member", and more (even a ghost!), but balances out the fanservice with other general humor, and even has a light narrative element in that Rito is constantly trying to become the "best in the universe" at something in order to sate the demands of Lala's father (the leader of the greatest empire in the universe, he will apparently destroy the Earth if Rito can't measure up). It has it's charm though, and is almost wholesome in comparison to the later seasons.

Motto To-Love-Ru (season 2) - This drops any narrative plotlines whatsoever and is straight up focused on comedic situations amongst the group. It's even structured like an old cartoon (think Garfield & Friends or Dexter's Lab) where each episode consists of three different disconnected skits. Kinda a unique approach for an anime, and it helps to keep everyone in the ever increasing cast to get their time to shine. The amount & graphicness of fanservice is also overall dialed up from the first season as well.

TLR Darkness/TLR Darkness 2 (seasons 3-4) - compiling these together has they have consistent theming & focus. They do a complete 180 in that they are much more narratively focused than the two earlier seasons (they even introduce a mysterious villain who has designs for the cast), but also rearrange the cast dynamic in a way that I never really grew to like. They still follow the same cast of characters (centered around Rito), however Lala & Haruna are sidelined in favor of Lala's younger sisters Momo & Nana (introduced as side characters in season 2). They also once again ratchet up the fanservice to new heights (really seemed to be trying to push the limits of what they could get away with on TV), in the one direction this franchise seems to agree on.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kermit1doesmath

I'll stop saying BM is the new TZ, they are both different shows for different people, but one just has more history than the other...

Kermit1doesmath

@Professor_Plumber I understand why folks like BM (that's an essay in of itself).

I'll still be over here with my Disney-censored version of The Muppet Show with 2 episodes missing and one episode's third act completely cut making it shorter than every other episode.

Well, at least I can watch the full series on Archive,org... That will age like milk

Rambler

@Link-Hero
As far as I can tell, all they've done is put some disclaimers up before the shows. Like with Peter Pan (although that didn't address how Wendy is relegated to a mother figure, oh well).
There may be edits due to copyright on songs performed?

Rambler

Rambler

Professor_Plumber wrote:

@Owl1 Oh yeah I mean I hadn't really watched before this season so I had no opinion on it but yeah there definitely are reasons why people like it...
But yeah, fair enough!
And is Disney as bad as Nintendo when it comes to stuff like that? I'm sure they are, but I don't remember anything Disney's done to take stuff down weirdly enough...

AFAIK, all Disney have done, is put disclaimers at the start of some of the content that has been deemed offensive. It's quite a good bit of text, something along the lines of, "it was wrong then, and it is wrong now"
I'm not sure where this has come from of them editing their output (censoring, lol) as the stuff I've seen on there is blatantly racist and sexist.

Didn't know Nintendo had removed any content from their stuff!
Edit: I meant after the fact, as in a reissue. Just remembered the bloodless versions of games on the SNES, etc!

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Rambler

@Professor_Plumber
I imagine so, there's been countless parody videos made over the years. This one by Negativland is still up though

Re-reading my last post, it had pretty much nothing to do with yours! Apologies.

Rambler

Kermit1doesmath

@blindsquarel Secret Invasion is great! It's like Winter Soldier but more alien invasion than government drama.

Besides the opening credits being AI episode one is a fantastic start to what will probably be the best Marvel show, then again this is just episode one.

It also has some legitimately great twists

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

blindsquirrel

@Owl1
I’ll have to check it out sometime. I wasn’t planning on watching it anytime soon, but I’ll inevitably get back in a mood where I watch all the Marvel stuff again.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic