Forums

Topic: The Table Top Gaming thread

Posts 261 to 280 of 444

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 I've looked into the history of certain board games, but not the medium as a whole. Are there any resources you could point me to?

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 I appreciate the link! I've bookmarked it for later reading. I know board games have been around for thousands of years (such as Senet from ancient Egypt and various game pieces found belonging to other civilizations), but I've admittedly never looked into some of the specifics. I might grab that book too when my booklog shrinks a bit.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Damn sounds like you got a crazy backlog of books….let me know what you think of that link I sent ya. Yeah Senet is cool, I have a friend who has a senet board and we played it. It’s a fun game, it may not be as popular as chess and backgammon but it’s fun enough to play. Do you know ho chess originated in India? It’s pretty cool….what games histories interest you?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 The booklog isn't as crazy as my game backlog. XD Just takes me longer to get through them. Interesting, I didn't know Senet was still played! I've just come across it in some casual readings related to ancient Egypt. I did not know that about chess, interesting indeed!

I'd say how ancient civilizations played games certainly interests me. Not any specific one. Then again, I like learning about human history in general. What was, and how creative people were when it came to amusing themselves back in the day.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Oh yeah Senet is still played to this day. There is even a version of Senet you can play online. I think that’s pretty neat that you can still play this game. Another ancient game I enjoy is Mancala. Have you ever played or seen it? It’s in that game for Switch called Clubhouse games 51. That game has some obscure games from ancient times, including this Roman game, but I forget the name. I would like to play some of those games with the actual board and what not. I also enjoy history, and it’s interesting how you can see these ancient games and how they line up with military tactics. Would you try games like mancala and Senet?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Interesting; I'll have to look up the online version of Senet after I check out the rules! I had no idea it had a following in the modern day outside of the occasional curious soul. I've heard of Mancala but likewise haven't played it. I've considered getting Clubhouse Games, but it's never been high priority. I'd be curious to know what that Roman game is and if I've heard of it.

I do like trying out many games at least once. Whether or not I touch them again depends on my first impression. XD

Losermagnet

I received my Everdell "Everything in One Big Box" set the other day. Starling Games really did a great job condensing it all in a convenient set (well, as convenient as the base game, 4 major expansions, and a half dozen smaller expansions could be). I got the 3D token containers and art book with it too. I really enjoy the game's aesthetic. Definitely one of the best I've experienced.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx the Roman game Which I finally looked up is called Nine Men Morris. They have actual boards online of that one too, so it’s a fun game. And yeah there is still a steady group that plays Senet. I don’t know if it has a big competitor scene like chess or backgammon do, but I am not sure. If you check out clubhouse games which should go on sale, but it’s a Nintendo published games and you know often those go on sale lol. Would you like some more info nine men Morris? And which old board games interest you the most.

@Losermagnet I am not familiar with Everdell, but that box set sounds awesome. You getting four expansions right away is pretty nifty too. So how is the gameplay? And I will have to look into it now, you piqued my curiosity.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 OH. I've heard of Nine Men Morris! Never looked into the specifics of the game until now. Looks like you're supposed to group your pieces in threes, then get to choose to remove an opponent's piece? Apparently there are other versions of the game that use different numbers of pieces. I might check out Clubhouse Games if I ever find the title on sale for a decent price. As it's Nintendo-published, I'm not sure when that'll be however.

Old board games....I've heard of a very old one from China called Go, though I've never played it. Same with Parcheesi, which, while American, is an adaptation of Pachisi of Indian origin.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx yep that’s how Nine Men Morris works! I think you would like it yeah there are a variety of different versions out there, hopefully you can find clubhouse games on sale some day. Would you ever give to a try? And so far how is the games history research going for you?

Themagusx1

Tasuki

So I was in Walmart yesterday and was in the toy and game section looking for ideas for Christmas gifts for my nephews when I came across Life Super Mario Bros. I decided to look at it and at first I just thought it was normal life with a Super Mario Bros theme to it. Well it turns out it's a different game. It's Life sort of but plays more like the Monopoly Gamer editions.

Instead of going around collecting money and kids trying to become a millionaire by the time you reach the end instead you try to collect coins, and use them to play mini games against the other players and collect power ups to fight Bowser at the end. However you can also get items to attack the other players with like Mario Kart. I actually haven't played it yet but I did buy it and read the rules, hopefully I will play it during my vacation next week from work. A nice addition to my board game collection.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Themagusx1

@Tasuki That game sounds awesome! I will have to check it out some time. I am just curious, how big would you say your board game collection is? I got a fairly decent sized one. And based on what you said I may add the super Mario bros life to mine.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

I need to start a small board game collection. Most stayed at my parents' and I don't really have too much of note in my house right now. Granted, I live alone and don't have visitors often, so it usually isn't at the forefront of my mind lol.

@Themagusx1 You mean Nine Men Morris? I'd certainly try it! Supposedly it can end in a draw if you time your moves just right. As for the gaming history....I haven't had the time to sit down and read through it. October is a very busy month for me, so now that is winding down a bit. And now I'm back on a work project again.... I need more hours in the day. Or require less sleep.

@Tasuki I've heard of that version of Monopoly, but only in passing. I didn't realize there were so many differences from the main game! It's definitely something I'd look into. As famous as classic Monopoly is, I've never been able to sit through an entire game.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Well hopefully November won’t be as busy for ya. But you never know with work projects. I do agree I can’t sit through normal monopoly, but my fiancé she and I play her Animal Crossing New horizons monoply that I bought her for Christmas last year and it’s fun and never seems to last too long. I also own for years ago Metal Gear Solid Risk which is very neat. What versions of monopoly would you like to see? Variants make the difference, and my personal favorite monopoly is Monopoly Deal which games last no more than twenty minutes. It’s monopoly made to run super fast lol

Themagusx1

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I can understand about the length of Monopoly, that's why I am not a fan of Monopoly either the length of it. I enjoy when properties are for sale and a bit afterwards when you make deals with the other players to get Monopolies, but once that is done and I build all my houses and hotels, I am just bored waiting for the end of it lol.

That's where I like the Gamer Edition Monopoly versions. The was a Mario one, a Mario Kart and an Overwatch version from my understanding the all play the same, just different themes. They are alot quicker then traditional Monoply games and have alot more options like attacking your opponents with items like Mario Kart. Each game lasts maybe and hour or two.

@Themagusx1 I have a decent size board game collection. I have the standards like Monoply, Clue, Sorry etc. But then I have variants of them. Like I have all three versions of the Monopoly Gamer edition. Then I have a Dungeon and Dragons theme of original Monopoly. Same with Life I have an original 1960s version, a repro of the 60s version and then a early 2000's edition. Then when it comes to Clue I have an Original version, a D&D version, a Clue Master Detective version and Clue Jr. Then I have of course checkers, chess. So it's decent.

Then I have card games like Uno, Dos and Millie Bornes.

My Backlog

Themagusx1

@Tasuki I remember the D&D versions of Monopoly and Clue. Those were based around third edition right? Or maybe 3.5? And yeah that’s a nice collection of game you got there including the vintage versions of those games.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 I'd essentially get bored with Monopoly after all the properties were bought up lol. It's nice to learn that there are other versions that change up the mechanics and aren't as tedious. I've heard of Monopoly Deal but have not played it; isn't it essentially a card game?

@Tasuki Regular Monopoly is what I call a board game version of This Is The Song That Never Ends. XD The closest version that I even came close to enjoying was a version of the game on PC that I played in the late 90s/early 2000s. Never finished a game,but I at least enjoyed the animations.

I do think I'll look into one of those gamer edition boards. They at least sound somewhat sane!

Losermagnet

@Themagusx1 apologies for the late reply. Everdell is a worker placement/gather resources style game where you use said resources to pay for critters and constructions to populate your town; with the goal being you want to have the highest total point value at the "end of the year". It's a chill game that takes maybe 45 to 75 minutes and it's aesthetic makes me think of 'The Wind in the Willows' mixed with Magic the Gathering. Recommended! The box set is absolutely massive. I think it weighs like 25 lbs.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Tasuki

@Themagusx1 Actually I believe the editions I got are based on 5e.

@Tyranexx LOL yeah I will agree. I definitely recommend the Gamer Edition version. I don't know where you can find them at, you might have to do some internet searching. The Mario one I got from Toys R Us years ago before they went out of business, the Overwatch one I got on clearance from Gamestop and the Mario Kart one I found at a Goodwill.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic