Forums

Topic: The Goodbye/Vacation Thread

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 3,669

gcunit

@ThanosReXXX Thanks for elaborating. What I think you've done there, though, is indicate that it's not the word 'Nazi' that bothers you, but the action of someone standing before you trying to insult you, whatever words they might use. Which supports my point that it's actions, not words, that hurt/offend people.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit Yeah, I suppose that's a fair point, so I agree. I kind of already did when saying that I just used the word Nazi as an example, for the sole reason of you also using that in your own comments.

And you're welcome. It's actually not something I talk about easily in real life. That's one of the things that actually IS good about online discussions: the anonymity also protects, so we can speak freely, and get things off our chests that we normally might hold inside.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Purgatorium

In my experience people who tout that they '"tell it like it is" are only making a virtue out of being cruel. They are not actually telling it like it is. They're just bullies.

Purgatorium

ThanosReXXX

@PoliticallyIncorrect I don't believe you...

Sorry, atheist joke. Just couldn't help myself.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Purgatorium Those are the wrong ones. People ACTUALLY telling it like it IS, as supported by facts and figures and logic, can do so in a matter of fact and calm way, which never necessitates cruelty, insults or any other kind of negative sentiment.

And sometimes, some people in our lives do need a dose of "like it is", for their own good. Either to protect them from (further) harm, or simply to put their feet firmly back on Mother Earth again...

ThanosReXXX

@PoliticallyIncorrect Right back at'cha.
Always refreshing to find new people that can handle candid talk.

ThanosReXXX

@PoliticallyIncorrect Ah, that might also have something to do with it, then. I'm not a full-on believer in the whole "wisdom comes with age" thing, but I do believe that calmness comes with age, so all these online people being instantly insulted and/or stressed about the most inane things completely blows my mind.

Purgatorium

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@Purgatorium Those are the wrong ones. People ACTUALLY telling it like it IS, as supported by facts and figures and logic, can do so in a matter of fact and calm way, which never necessitates cruelty, insults or any other kind of negative sentiment.

Oh for sure. I meant people who label themselves as "telling it like it is." I guess there's a difference between the literal meaning of the expression and its adoption by bullies.

Edited on by Purgatorium

Purgatorium

PoliticallyIncorrect

@ThanosReXXX I do believe it was the psychologist Erickson that had Age vs. Wisdom as a stage of life. If you ask me, the world gets a little too offended a little too easily now.

The Other White Meat

ThanosReXXX

@Purgatorium True enough.

@PoliticallyIncorrect I'll have to take your word about that psychologist, I'm afraid, seeing as the name doesn't really ring a bell. But yeah, people being too easily insulted/offended nowadays is a phenomenon that most of us older and/or more down to Earth people can more than likely agree on.

I've found that it almost comes to a point where, when I actually DO meet a younger person that fits the bill of being more logical and/or laid back, that I'm almost pleasantly surprised that they even exist, which is simultaneously also a very sad conclusion to come to. A lot of them think they are the next best thing since sliced bread, and that they are saving the world, but ultimately, they'll probably become mankind's undoing, in the next couple of generations.

I'm almost glad that I won't be alive to witness that...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

k8sMum

@ThanosReXXX
I agree with you 100%. There are others, tho, that in 'telling it like it is' are merely spouting about their own little bubble and ignoring even the concept that someone else's telling may be really how it is.

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

Purgatorium

Older people have been complaining about the young for millennia. They arrogantly overestimate their wisdom when they clearly don't have the humility that comes with it. You can learn a lot from the young. You've been in their shoes but have somehow forgotten. Is that wisdom?

Purgatorium

BloodNinja

@gcunit The word is the vessel, the intention behind the word is what is felt. When someone feels "attacked" by a word, it's because of what the word carries. Obviously, the word by itself isn't necessarily the issue; it's the delivery and the reception. I don't think anybody, no matter how well trained their mind is, will ever be immune to hearing a word that "pushes a button," so to speak. Otherwise, you can walk through a "hallway of insults," your entire life, and be fine. Everybody will eventually want to not hear such things. In this case, I happened to laugh it off out of the sheer ridiculousness of it. I chose instead of receiving and owning the word, to cast it off because I know myself. I know I'm the furthest thing from a German nationalist. I'm not even German, so I fully understand the futility of the insult.

That being said, we must strive to be cautious with our words, if not for the recipient's sake, but for our own. We don't know who or how it will impact a person's life, and more importantly, we don't know the karma we are building up that will return to us. And I'm not talking about spooky nonsense, like some invisible karma police that is making a tally of everything good or bad you do and then reciprocating it. No. I mean karma as in the energy that you attract to yourself as based on your daily actions and activities. Nobody is above that. You do good deeds, you build good karma, and you will have good energy in your life. You perform bad deeds, you develop bad karma, and you will have negative energy in your life.

The answer, as taught in certain sects of Buddhism, is to simply stop the bad behavior, and from that moment onward continue to do good behavior, without owning the drama associated with the bad behavior. No story, no excuse, no rehash, no figuring it out, and especially no judgement. Just stop the bad behavior, and keep attempting good behavior. Simple.

BloodNinja

PoliticallyIncorrect

@ThanosReXXX I have to say, I myself have thought the same about my own demise lol.

@Purgatorium I don't know. I've seen people older than myself do that, but that's not how I am. I can only speak for myself tbh. But do realize that many of us "older people" had parents that did the very same thing, and thus, we avoid doing it ourselves. Hope that helps. Sorry, edited this much later on.

Edited on by PoliticallyIncorrect

The Other White Meat

jump

@BloodNinja Fun fact, you don’t have to be German to be a Nazi as there’s Canadian Nazis .https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Unity_Party_(Canada)
Nazis in Thailand
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_imagery_in_Thailand
Nazis in America
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Nazi_Party
And Nazis on this forum.
<insert NintendoLife user profile link of someone who would get its a joke>

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

PoliticallyIncorrect

@jump Fun fact for you. My great grandfather was actually put into a forced labor camp when the Nazi regime invaded Belarus. They took his land and everything. While there, he almost died twice. It took a while, but my family moved to America in 1969.

The Other White Meat

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic